Guest Post from Sara

This is a guest post from Sara, a reader, commenter and now contributor of this site. The animal radicals and politicians are fixin’ to put a fuckin’ to their business and could use some help. Please take the time to read it and follow the links.
-Kenny

I am the manager of a small business. My ol’ man started it 35 years ago, and it’s still going strong. That says a lot right there, 35 years, one store, one owner. That is a lot of years of no vacations, not much for time off, covering when employees are sick, taking care of “the public”, the staff, the taxes, you name it. Two years ago the city decided it would be a fantastic idea to put in light rail. Right down the middle of the street, completely blocking access. We were lucky, we made it through it. We had to put what little savings we had back in to the business, we had to scratch the laughable retirement fund, we did everything we could to make sure that staff got paid. And they did, not one ever had a check bounce. We may not have cashed ours, but they got theirs. And we have great customers, I will never forget the guy that told me that his usual 10 minute drive took him almost 3 hours. And he didn’t care, that he would parachute in to our store if that was what was needed, as he wouldn’t go anywhere else. I gave him his feeders for free. We watched neighbors that had been there for years have to fold. We saw other small businesses that had fought tooth and nail end up bankrupt. The state offered “forgivable loans, up to 20K!” Isn’t that great??? Yeah, I don’t know a single business that took it, not one. The state can kiss our collective asses. The store that we own is a little pet shop. A specialty store. The oldest single owner reptile store in the nation. And we are under attack. Again.

When you say reptile, people get scared. Or people just think that they are “icky”. Snakes, lizards, frogs, oh my! “Kill em all! They kill people, pets, kids, they are DANGEROUS!” Sound familiar? How many of you fight ignorance against having a gun? They are DANGEROUS! Get rid of them! Ban them! They just jump out and start killing people! Guess what, it’s bullshit. It is what happens when you don’t know about them, you aren’t familiar with them, and don’t know what they are really like. If you are not educated about them, it is very easy for the media to sway you. It’s easy to watch tv and believe that there are millions of feral burmese pythons in Florida and that they are eating all of the native wildlife. That they are going to spread through the US and take over the world. This is simply not true. They say that, but do not tell you that they have to have specific temperatures and humidity needs met, or they die. They don’t tell you about the dead ones found last winter when it got colder than usual in the very southern tip of Florida, which, by the way, is the only place in the US that has even the slightest chance of them surviving. They say that they can adapt to environments that are not ideal and still breed and thrive, and this is also bullshit. They like to say that it’s because of people just letting them go when they are tired of them, that if people aren’t allowed to breed and sell them anymore, that nobody will be just tossing them out the door. In actuality, genetic testing has shown that they were from a large breeding facility that was completely destroyed by Hurricane Andrew. Now, I am not saying that nobody ever has chucked their unwanted pet out the door. No more than I would say that nobody has ever dumped a cat or a dog. But of course, those are cute and furry and never cause any damage, right???

The HSUS, PPETA, and Senator Nelson from Florida first tried to pass HR 669. http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/111/hr669
This was in 2009, and they failed. This would have allowed any “nonnative” animal at any time to be banned. This would have included hamsters, gerbils, most snakes and lizards, frogs, ferrets, chinchillas, all tropical fish, you name it. Want to get your kid a parakeet? Nope. Wayne Pacelle, whom is at the top of the shit pile that is the “Humane Society” of the United States, doesn’t want anybody to be able to own any pets. And you all know that PETA is the same kind of crazy. And yes, I put “Humane Society” in quotes for a reason. They are NOT a humane society. Just google the truth about the humane society, or, here’s another link. http://www.humanewatch.org/ Because of the fact that they over reached and went for everything, they failed. Fish people, Bird people, Reptile people, Small mammal people, everybody banned together and did not let it happen. I personally got over 800 letters signed and mailed, and that was just out of our little store.

They realized that they bit off more than they could chew. People like their fish tanks. Kids love their hamsters and gerbils and cute little fluffy pets. But snakes? Snakes are an easy way to get your foot in the door. Snakes are scary, and there’s not a large enough group to fight for them. Introduce HR 996. http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/hr996/text This is “To establish an improved regulatory process for injurious wildlife to prevent the introduction and establishment in the United States of nonnative wildlife and wild animal pathogens and parasites that are likely to cause harm.” Shouldn’t get anywhere… It’s the same damn thing! But wait! They DID get to pretty much out of nowhere get burmese pythons, african rocks, and yellow anacondas added to the Lacey Act. Remember all those tv blurbs about how burmese pythons were everywhere? They made it look like you couldn’t step outside your door without being attacked by a “GIANT KILLER SNAKE”! Shock and gasp! Yup, boom. US Fish and Wildlife used bad science and got them added. They lied. (again, shock, right?) The pets that people have had for years are no longer allowed across state lines. Get a job somewhere else and move? If you bring your pet that you have had for 15 years, you are breaking a federal law. You’ve got literally thousands of dollars invested in a breeding project? Too bad.

And now they want to make it even easier to add more. http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2013-07-01/html/2013-15707.htm
This is the USFWS wanting categorical exclusion proposal from NEPA requirements. What this means is that they can add any animal at any time. No due process, no giving two shits about economic impact, nothing. Boom. And for the people that don’t realize that there is economic impact, go to http://market.kingsnake.com/ and click through the classifieds. People put years in to breeding projects, and those babies cost some serious money.

So here is me now begging, pleading, and asking nicely even for all y’all to help. Takes a minute, less if you just do the copy and paste. Let me know that all this typing was worth it. That you all also would like to tell the HSUS and PETA to go *bleep* themselves.

This one has some more info on what they are doing.

Sara

This entry was posted in PETA, Politics, You can't make this shit up. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Guest Post from Sara

1. hiswiserangel says:

Done, and seriously, Sara, *bleep*?! What the fuck?

2. Jeffery says:

I feel her pain. My family has owned a small construction and demolition landfill since 1982. In recent years we acquired another. Three years ago, Gov. Riley (part time democrat and part time RHINO) singed into effect a “solid waste generator tax”, In a nutshell every landfill (solid waste, C&D, Hazardous waste) pays the state .25 per cubic yard or $1.00 per ton. Basically, this has allowed the state to hire four times the staff that it had prior to this and an increase of inspections by four fold too (meaning more fines, meaning more revenue for the coffers, meaning more hiring of brother-in-laws, etc.). This is ADEM or Alabama Department of Environmental Management. In conjunction with the landfills, we have a roll off container business with a truck that has our name on it (bulls-eye for tort lawyers) running up an down the road. We are fair game for the Alabama Department of Public Safety too. We have employees, so we have payroll, withholding taxes, etc. My family has contributed to the RNC, U.S. Senators Shelby and Sessions and 4th Congressional Representative Robert Aderholt (native of Winston County who I thought was my friend but turned out to be one the 217 turncoats who believes it is OK for the government to listen to my phone conversations, read my e-mails and spy on me at their beckon call. Yes, he will hear from me tomorrow). I am sure that is the reason they have been the target of three audits in the last ten years costing our family business nearly $200k. You sit there across the desk from some ass clown from the state or the IRS who has never had to make a payroll, pass an inspection, maintain heavy equipment and vehicles,live under the threat of fines and jail time, etc. It gets tougher and tougher to stay afloat. It make one want to say, “to hell with it. I’d be better off drawing disability check, living in Section 8 housing and swiping my ebt card. The madness must stop. I decided a long time ago that .gov doesn’t want you to make a living. They just want businesses to make a payroll and pay taxes and fines!

3. Sara says:

Thank you Angel!

And Jeffery, I swear it’s their thoughts that small businesses, which are the ones keeping the LOCAL economy going, need to be put out of business.

4. woodsterman says:

Done … Trip up a “Bleeping” bureaucrat every chance you get.

5. Just Saying says:

I feel your pain – after the present ass-clown in the WH was reelected I started accelerating my off-shoring and use of front companies as well as other games to hide income. In the last several years I have had zero income (after tax credits and such) while folding various companies – so they put all their money into items that are subsidized, then go out of business selling it off for pennies on the dollar to another company I own overseas that will make use of it. All perfectly legal since everything is owned by different legal entities. And they can’t go after a corporation that no longer exists – no money there if it went bankrupt.

I plan on renouncing my citizenship so never have to worry about getting the money back into the US, and take advantage of tried and true ways of hiding income with companies like Google and Amazon. My way of “going Galt” is to pay no taxes and prepare to leave. This country is doomed.

6. Michael in Nelson says:

Sara is dead right. There was a ‘documentary’ on Animal Planet only yesterday (probably a repeat) titled “Man-eating Super Snake” that told the horror story of African rock pythons in southern Florida and how they might cross breed with Burmese pythons to make a 20+ ft aggressive python.

As a biologist I must have said “Bullshit!” 50 times before I stopped watching. It was full of ‘maybe’, ‘could’. ‘might’, and ‘killer snake’ hype. They cited two deaths of children (one in Africa and one in the US) attributed to rock pythons. In both cases there was only circumstantial evidence. The US case was the most suspect because the kid was supposedly sleeping with an aunt and uncle. The snake was supposed to have crept into the bed and killed the kid without waking the adults and then left the kid lie there and crawl away. For my money the 2 year-old was just as likely to have been smothered by a sleeping relative.

A similar law was passed here in NZ a dozen years ago which prevented the keeping of ferrets as pets whether they were neutered or not. While there are some wild ferrets from escaped pets, the vast majority of mustelids killing native wildlife were and continue to be stoats (smaller weasels). Unfortunately, the Green lobby here is very strong.

These bastards use incremental power confiscation which is hard to combat despite all the times people have been warned that such-and-such a law/regulation was the thin edge of the wedge. The sheeple just never seem to learn.

7. Murph says:

I will be sure to contribute Murph’s thought to the friction Pols. Thanks Sara

8. Sara says:

Thank you all so very much!!!
    Funny, when Ken asked if I wanted to do a guest post, write up the information about what was going on, I kind of panicked. I am not a writer, I don’t have the flair for it. So I grabbed a cup of coffee and sat down at the computer and tried to figure out how to explain how much it sucks to people that don’t understand the keeping of reptiles. I did my best, and I just really appreciate the feedback and all y’all helping out.

And Michael, I won’t even watch animal planet. Every story they have is trumped up garbage for the most powerful effect. Killer this and attacking that, and HSUS commercials every 2 minutes. Nothing like them paying the station bills to make people afraid of animals.

9. Sara says:

Oh. I will say… We had a pair of African rocks. Mean ass sons of bitches. They would launch to defend themselves, big snakes, big attitudes, big ass teeth. Nobody ever got hurt by them though. One of those types where you have to know what you are getting in to and if you don’t have the knowledge, don’t get the animal. I tell people at work that are looking for the “biggest and the baddest” for their first one that I won’t sell to them. It’s like driving a car, you should really learn how to drive before you get behind the wheel of a race car. You need to know how to shift before you are in the Indy 500.

10. Done, reblogged, and what the actual fuck?

11. Glenn B says:

I did the first 4 of the 5 suggested actions. I doubt any letter I mailed them would actually make it there by the deadline of July 31st so I omitted the last one.

I am surprised that the local herp society to which I belong has not been on top of this as far as I can remember. I sent out an email to the board members to light the fire. Hopefully they will urge the membership to take action.

Now, what is the name and website of that herp shop, maybe I can send some business their way.

All the best,
    Glenn B

• Sara says:

Twin Cities Reptiles. Which herp society do you belong to, I only ask because I am surprised they aren’t on top of it.

12. Glenn B says:

Oh, did I forget to add: Bleep Obama!

• Sara says:

Snort laughed!!! Damn work hat…
      Fuck Obama! :D

Uh oh, now I really swore! Sorry Ken!

13. John says: