Libertarian Tea Partiers? Naw…..

CHICAGO (Reuters) – Most American libertarians do not consider themselves part of the conservative Tea Party movement despite a public perception that the two political groups are linked, according to a national survey released on Tuesday.
Libertarians, who generally support maximizing individual rights and minimizing the role of government, differ sharply with the Tea Party and religious conservatives on issues such as abortion and decriminalization of marijuana, according to the survey by the non-partisan Public Religion Research Institute.

*****

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Libertarian Tea Partiers? Naw…..

1. Old Goat Patrol says:

A LIV asked what the III PATRIOT nametag on my go bag meant. I said it was the conservative wing of the Tea Party. There was no comprehension.

2. Semper Fi, 0321 says:

Remember, Tea Party was only a few months old when it was hijacked by TV media, Hannity I believe, and then turned into a national laughingstock movement. I truly believe it was hijacked on purpose, to keep the patriots from ever gaining any power. I know folks today who claim Tea Party involvement, and in their own naive thinking, believe that flapping their gums, waving signs at rallies, and voting, we can turn this country around. Someone claimed it was a party of senile fools who can’t face reality.
    We are so far beyond saving, we are on the verge of an armed civil war today, with no way out except bloodshed. The corruption is too deep, from fedgov to your own school district, there is NO voting our way out of this anymore.
    Fill your mags and sharpen your hawk, it’s coming.

3. BillDave says:

John Birch? I am.

4. Randy says:

Been a pretty consistent Libertarian for over 30 years. The article sounds about right. The Libertarian philosophy opposes limits on freedom that exist on both sides of the political spectrum.

5. Don Ryan says:

I see most of these news articles as an attempt to prevent a coalition from forming that is at the very least strongly against the current Democrat statist ideas of universal healthcare, gun control, and excessive spending with associated government debt.

6. anonymous says:

The Republicans hate the Tea Party because it spoils the two party voting system that is set up. The Tea Party pretty much takes away from their side, not the Dems (the Green Party did that for their side). The media loves to paint Tea Baggers (their term, not mine) as loons. Yeah, less government, less laws and more fiscal responsibility – crazy talk!

7. David Martin says:

Go to a tea party event and bring up the idea of getting rid of a couple grossly unconstitutional not to mention fiscally suicidal programs like Social Security and Medicare and see what kind of response you get. Everybody wants smaller government, there isn’t anyone who couldn’t find some aspect of government that they would like to get rid of. The meeting of the people that want a truly and strictly Constitutional government, though, could be held in the proverbial phone booth.

David Martin

8. Titan Mk6B says:

“I know I don’t consider myself to be a part of the Tea Party – motherfuckers are too left wing for my taste.”

I know what you mean. I like to say that I am so far to the right that you can’t see me.

9. So Wirecutter, what party do you consider yourself a member of? I’m not dissing you I really would like to know.
    I myself registered as a Republican for decades, then after they got a turn at the wheel and showed themselves as bad as the Democrats in pork and special favors I re-registered as an Independent.
    Since I don’t support any established political party that means to responsibly exercise my voting franchise I have to do a lot more reading (but don’t watch TV news) and thinking (Ow..thinking is hard!). Most of the time there really isn’t a good candidate to vote for, then I vote against the Democrat. Can’t go wrong doing that!

I’m registered as an American Independent but I will admit having strong Libertarian leanings.

• Semper Fi, 0321 says:

Some folks actually get pissed when I tell them I hate all politicians equally. According to most folks, you have to pick a side, kinda like football teams, not doing so makes you a traitor to the system.
        And so, fukm all!

10. Daniel K Day says:

I’m tired of the circular firing squad that forms whenever someone brings up the Tea Party, the Libertarian Party, the Republican Party, anarchy, minarchy, the John Birch Society, drug legalization, …
    and I’m out of steam. The real enemy is the assholes who think an educated elite, whether elected politicians or unelected members of the bureaucracy, is qualified to write chickenshit rules running our lives. Most of these assholes are registered Democrats, a few (or “some”, pick whatever number you want) are registered Republicans.
    Is it really so hard to distinguish between the assholes in Washington, DC running the Republican Party and the rank-and-file registered Republicans? As far as I can tell, the former are part of the enemy, the latter usually are not. I save my energy for arguing with the undecided. Minor issues like abortion and drugs can be left for later. There’s a lot of unfucking of the country to do before that.
    Thanks for letting me rant.

11. I’m just a few yards short of being a raving right wing nut, so when I go to the store, I will only buy “right” chicken legs!