My Spike Hawk

My Cold Steel Trail Hawk after I reworked it as described in last night’s post.

DSCN1597Here’s the head after I sharpened and painted it. I did repaint the spike end to keep it from rusting, also retrieved the set screw and put back in because the empty hole looked….. empty. You can see where the Gorilla glue expanded out as it cured. I’ll eventually trim it off in a day or two after I’m sure the glue has set and won’t get my knife blade all gummy.

DSCN1601The handle after I wrapped it in 550 cord. You can see at the bottom where my vice grips were to hold the end of the cord to the handle while the glue dried.

DSCN1602The spike end after sharpening and repainting. It’s got more of a point than the photo indicates. Never mind the dog hair, CharlieGodammit’s in full shed again.

DSCN1598The whole fucking thing.

DSCN1604Me holding it to give you an idea of the size.

So yeah, the whole project took me all of 30 minutes to do but improved the functionality of the weapon considerably.

This entry was posted in Cool Pics, III Percenter, Wirecutter. Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to My Spike Hawk

1. livin to ride again says:

nice all i got left at this time is a hand forged hawk no spike or anything
    i can’t hardly hold it much less use it at this time
    dog hair aint no big deal but the women folks sure make a fuss about it
    liked the randall knives too i have one similar to the one standing on end

2. Woody says:

Looks good. the pointed end will definitely deflate some tires quickly.

3. madminute says:

sweeeeet!

4. Huckleberry says:

very cool but I would have added a wrist lanyard with some of that left over 550 cord.

5. Critter says:

Nice chopper. :)

6. NeFisher says:

Great site, I enjoy reading it most days.

I would have been tempted to put a couple of lengths of cord along the shaft before wrapping to help align the “tool” in my hand and finished it of with a turk head to stop my hand slipping back along the shaft if it became wet. Each to their own and if you are happy with it, that is all that matters.

7. Timbo says:

Excellent way to answer the door!
    Send those mormons running for the hills – with a trail of watchtower pamphlets blowing in the wind!

Seriously though, nice job.
    I found one exactly the same online last night for $35.
    Turns out the online supply company is only 15 miles from me, so I can just pick it up to avoid shipping.
    Is that similar to what you paid?

I think I paid 28 bucks for mine on sale. Seems like they usually run about $45 but don’t quote me on that.

• sootsme says:

Actually, it’s Jehovah’s Witnesses distributing The Watchtower… the Mormon missionaries around here are always asking me if I need help replacing glowplugs, or putting in chimney liners. So far, I haven’t had the heart to ask them to mess up their white shirts, but the thought does make me smile…

8. General P. Malaise says:

very nice. I would wrap the cord along the entire wood crossing over the blade and back one third.

9. Jason Glass says:

LOOKING GOOD

10. Skip says:

Ken, if’n was me, I’d paint that white handle some stealth color.
    YMMV

11. Mark says:

Kenny that looks real good. I’ve got two of the Rifleman Hawks, one for each truck that I”m working on. Did you do any mods to yours? If so could you post a pic?

Thanks and Happy New Year to you, Ms. Lisa and CGD.

I glued the head down and sharpened it as I did to the Spike Hawk, but lest the handle the way that it came as I do enjoy throwing it. Plus I wanted to keep it somewhat authentic looking for the display.
      I’ll post the display tomorrow if I can remember to do it.

12. Dan says:

Sweet…..nice hair raiser.

Few people realize just how potent old school weapons are up close….
    many are superior to ANY pistol inside arms reach.

13. john jay says:

wirecutter:

way cool. i take a slightly less “showy” approach, myself.

for uses very similar to those contemplated with your ax, i keep a 16 ounce framing hammer with straight nail pulling forks by my front door. i figure it’s just one person, i bury the nail pullers in the forehead if i don’t like the guy, or i put the hammering end right on his shoulder if i think he’s not a real big threat. for several, assuming i cannot get to my 1911 or haven’t packed it to the door, i figure a few earnest and enthusiastic swings with the nail whacking end should convince them to go someplace else, for easier prey.

but, both tools will work for about the same purpose. quite frankly, i doubt much difference in the over all result, for a person catching the spike swung full force, or catching the nailing end of a framing hammer full force on the bridge of the nose.

i wouldn’t sharpen anything, i’d just leave it “stock.” laughing.

either should work very well, indeed.

john jay

p.s. and, i can frame a house or a shed if i need to, with my hammer. even split kindling.

14. B.R. says:

Nice man, now I need one.
    B.R.

15. anonymous says:

Great work and project build details. Looks scary as hell too – well done!

16. rightwingterrorist says:

For the past 20 some odd years I’ve kept an Estwing hatchet/axe (one of those nice pretty S.S. ones that are about 3′ long or so) sharpened to a razors edge in my vehicle.
    Just in case someone wanted to “axe” me something, I could axe them back.

P.S. Nice Spike Hawk
    P.P.S. Same John Jay from SP, WS?

17. Felina Flash says:

Is this a zombie thing?

18. livin to ride again says:

do any of you remember the episode of the simpsons with the nail in the board ?

• Timbo says:

I used to love those halloween specials they did!
      Those aliens were very funny characters – smart that they didn’t overuse them.

I assume that “make due with what you have”, is your point!

19. Hillbilly says:

Shoulder therapy, throwing it that is. I have a powder river tom that I got at a gun show bout 10 years ago, throws great , haven’t lost/broke it. I just wrapped the grip end with that cloth like tape.

20. Daniel K Day says:

Nice work.

21. Glenfilthie says:

I think the proper name for those is ‘spontoon’. If I understand them correctly they were a favourite weapon of both the Indians and the settlers in early eastern America…

22. Israel III says:

Well done young man! Personally, I am fond of the pic of you holding the trenchhawk. Especially that rare ring on your left hand that shares the liking of my own middle finger. Stay safe Kenny.
    In Liberty,
    Israel
    III

23. Queen Bee says:

Word has it my little brother is getting me a hawk for my birthday. If so, I’ll be revisiting this post to get some good ideas to dress her up. ;)
    Miss V

24. Shabitt says:

First of all, I am a big cold steel whore. What made you choose the spike hawk over the trench hawk? I have one and love it. Just picking you brain

I’ve already got a SOG trench hawk to fulfill that need in my assault pack.
      I was fucked up on painkillers after some surgery awhile back and was browsing online when I saw the Rifleman’s Hawk that would look cool with a display I had in mind (I’ll post that tonight or tomorrow) so I bought it along with a bunch of other shit. I have since learned that shopping stoned is like shopping drunk and is to be avoided at all costs. I spent like $300 that night.
      Anyways, after getting that one I decided I wanted the Spike Hawk too but I didn’t want to pay the price. I figured it would go on sale sometime and I’d get one. It was half off so I bought one.
      By the way, if you ever buy a Cold Steel product, buy it from Cold Steel and not one those clearinghouses like cheapfuckingknives.com or whatever. It’s a real good chance it would be a counterfeit from them.

25. Nice axe…oh, and the other present you left hanging on the door knob, I’m sure it brings out the color in your eyes. ;-)
    Happy New Year, Kenny.

26. The Old Guide says:

When glueing with Gorilla Glue, mark the edge of the area you want to glue with a sharp pencil. Then put down a layer of scotch tape on the area you don’t want glued. Apply your glue, clamp and let it set – overnight or more for Gorilla Glue. Then peel your scotch tape off. It’s much easier to deal with expanding Gorilla Glue that way. Works for me.

Play nice.