I wish I could afford just one of these Randalls

345-randall-knives

This entry was posted in Cool Pics. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to I wish I could afford just one of these Randalls

1. SemperFi, 0321 says:

Back when I was in the USMC, all the hardcore SF guys had a Randall, maybe a very few Marines, wish now I’d bought one. That was THE knife during VN.
    I remember a small knife shop in Solvang used to carry quite a selection of them, again, didn’t buy one there either.
    Dumbass!

2. Robert Evans says:

You can, of course. Just a matter of saving up. I have three Randalls myself. They basically cost what a gun costs. If you buy it from the Randall shop they’re cheaper, but there’s a five-year waiting list to get one, which can be intimidating for guys with gray hair. If you buy from one of Randall’s dealers they’re basically double what the Randall shop asks, but you can have one within six months, usually. There’s also gun shows and eBay, of course.

Randall lets you pay a deposit of $50, which guarantees you a knife when your name comes up on the wait list; you can save up during that time and pay it off when you have it saved. Randall will send you a notice when your knife is ready to be made; if you haven’t paid for it by then, and don’t pay for it, they cancel your order and move on to the next person. (I don’t know if they refuld your deposit; I wouldn’t, were I a business).

I bought my nephew, whom I raised as my own, a Randall for his high school graduation; actually I acquired it back when the wait list was only a couple of years, and kept it aside until the nephew graduated, at which point it became his, has his name etched on it and everything.

If you don’t want to wait for the five years you can check out Nordic Knives’s website, they are one of the official Randall dealers, they sell all of the models in several variations each; you’ll still have to wait for a knife, but only for six months or so, but at double the cost of what the Randall shop charges. You pays your money and makes your choice.

3. Doubletrouble says:

I was gifted one back when I turned, err, old.
    It’s a beautiful piece, but kinda too purty to use.

That’s just it – I’ve got a $200 SOG Pentagon PE18 fighting folder (no, I didn’t pay that much for it) that I’ve had for a year and a half that I’ve never used yet carry everywhere. If I need to cut something I use my Kershaw OSO Sweet. That way instead of fucking up an edge on an expensive knife I ruin a $20 knife.

4. I’ve got a few of them….one is a 12-9 with the 14 grind. Hell of a nice blade. If it cost what it does today when I bought it (and the wait then was 3 years), I’d have settled for something less expensive. Something like these:

I have one of each and use the hell out of them (I put the Randall in the safe….). You can’t go wrong….’specially if you have the sheaths sno-sealed.

5. BillDave says:

I own one.

6. Ted says:

I have two. Both bought on the installment plan and both are (or at least were beautiful). Both are users and both are still beautiful to me.

7. Hillbilly says:

My Dad had one kind of like the one standing on it’s tip. Yea he used his, deer/elk seasons. That was at least 45 years ago. I think stepmom gave it away.

8. Mike S says:

The sixth one from the top looks like a Ruana to me. The fifth, I have no idea. Randall makes some fine blades!

9. Mark says:

I still want one of the Apollo Mission Randall’s. The design and it’s history, plus it’s a good knife.

10. SemperFi, 0321 says:

How come everyone has to make such slippery handles?
    That’s what turned me away from Randall 40 yrs ago, Buck had the worst of them, and still many knifemakers have to put such smooth grips on. Not for me, I have several friends who have laid their palms wide open from slipping down the handle, nothing like blood or fish slime to test out a knife with.

First thing I do with a new Buck is take out my angle grinder (I use that fucker a lot) and put on a cutting wheel and then cut serrations into the brass where your thumb rides when you’re holding it edge up.
      I got no problem with modifying my tools if it makes them more Kenny-proof. I hate interrupting a hunt to get stitches.