Your favorite Westerns

I’m in the mood to watch a good western and while I was trying to make up my mind as to which one, it hit me that I’ve seen a hell of a lot of westerns but then again, who hasn’t? But instead of going to Netflix or Youtube and searching for westerns I was going over my favorites in my mind, wanting something familiar. Hey, everybody’s got a few favorite movies they can watch over and over again, yeah? I mean, how many times have you seen Roadhouse, huh? The original Red Dawn?
I’ve been stumped for two hours now.

So, at the risk of being accused of blogging something you’d find at Liberalbitches.com, allow me to ask all you motherfuckers (and Ladies): What’s your favorite western, the one you’ve seen you don’t know how many times and will watch again? I don’t care how old, but if it’s a remake tell us which version.

I’ll kick it off with a few of my favorites in no particular order:
High Noon – Just a great fucking movie, plus it was filmed here at Cooperstown.

Open Range – Longest goddamned gunfight I’ve ever seen and the good guys win.

Zandy’s Bride – because Liv Ullmann has nice titties. Plus it’s a good movie.

The Shootist – The Duke. Do I need to explain?

The Outlaw Josey Wales – Great story, lots of badassery.

And before anybody includes it, Old Yeller don’t count because nobody can watch that over and over again. It’s just too much of a tearjerker.

This entry was posted in Dogs, WTF?. Bookmark the permalink.

124 Responses to Your favorite Westerns

1. CZGuy says:

The Outlaw Josie Wales is my old time favorite and Open Range is my new favorite. I agree the best shootout in a Western.

• Knucklehead says:

Scanned the replies and there are tons of great westerns. Hard to disagree with many but I didn’t notice anyone mention Nevada Smith – Steve McQueen. And if comedies count, try Halleluja Trail with Burt Lancaster some time. That’s the only ones I can add to a great list off the top of my head.

2. riverrider says:

1)ojw 2)tombstone 3)high plains drifter 4)everything else clint eastwood did.

3. Robert Evans says:

My go-to favorite westerns are Silverado, Wyatt Earp, True Grit (either version) and Unforgiven. The Outlaw Josey Wales is great, but I’ve seen it too often to enjoy any more. I like Once Upon A Time In the West, but only the first and last half hours of that one. Everyone always seems to rave about Tombstone, but that one is too full of Hollywood clichés and gheyness for me to enjoy.

A couple of lesser-well-known gems are Big Jake (John Wayne) and The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing (Burt Reynolds). Both from the early 1970’s.

4. kurt says:

bronxkurt………….SHANE was a gunslingers delight

• Jack Montague says:

Nobody seems to notice that Clint Eastwood’s movie Pale Rider was simply a copy of Shane.

5. Rebecca says:

If you are interested in a lighthearted film, try “Paint Your Wagon” Eastwood and Marvin.

6. Dumbplumber says:

It’s not as good as the ‘Shootist’, but The Cowboys is right up there for me.

7. hiswiserangel says:

Tombstone and the ever silly McLintock! The scene where John Wayne chases Maureen O’Hara through the town before turning her over his knee for good old fashioned spanking. Wowzers. First time I saw that I was sitting next to Poppy on the couch, 14 and turned on by a bdsm scene in an old Western. Also The Dollars Trilogy (Good, Bad & Ugly, etc.) but you have to watch all three in order.

8. Triarius says:

Looks like you guys have most of my favorites covered… I would add The Wild Bunch, True Grit, and Unforgiven.

9. Pete says:

just watched “The Magnificent Seven” a few nights ago. Dated, but I mostly liked it. In other remakes of Japanese movies, I like “Last Man Standing” quite a bit. And, of course, all of Eastwood’s flicks. And “My Name is Nobody” is always good for a laugh!

10. David says:

Big Jake–John Wayne

11. Sara says:

Blazing Saddles. :)

12. Xenolith says:

Every John ‘the Duke’ Wayne movie ever made, and yeah, Clint is definitely in there too…

13. Roger says:

Winchester ’73 with Jimmie Stewart.

14. Dale says:

Once upon a time in the West..

15. SemperFi, 0321 says:

Monte Walsh and Crossfire Trail with Tom Selleck, hell, any of the newer Turner Network westerns with Tom Selleck or Sam Elliot are hard to beat.
    Culpepper Cattle Co. with Gary Grimes,
    The Cowboys with John Wayne,
    And the new True Grit with Jeff Bridges beat the shit out of the John Wayne original, that girl absolutely beat the pants off Kim Darby in every way!!!!
    And the all time winner of greatest western ever made was Lonesome Dove! Forget the sequels.

16. angeleyes says:

High Plains Drifter. Hands down mind games Clint!

17. Mark S. says:

Magnificent Seven, El Dorado

18. Terry says:

Waterhole Number Three.
    LMAO

19. Josey Wales, Tombstone, Lonesome Dove (if you want something to watch all week), True Grit The 1969 version had John Wayne. The remake was closer to the novel. Both are worth watching.,
    Fort Apache and She Wore A Yellow Ribbon. Two of Wayne’s cavalry trilogy. The Wild Bunch for an “end of the West” story. Will Penny, Quigley Down Under.

• pdwalker says:

Lonesome Dove – I don’t know about the movie, but the book version was fantastic.

20. Horatio Lust says:

The first three spaghetti Westerns, Unforgiven, Once upon A Time in the West, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

21. Snap says:

True Grit, the original with The Duke.

Rio Bravo, once again, because The Duke.

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Fistful of Dollars

Big Jake

Rio Lobo- particularly the end scene, where the scarred girl kills the villain. Proper response to violence against women.

22. DoninSacto says:

Pale Rider or Rio Lobo

23. Alemaster says:

How ’bout “South of Heaven, West of Hell,” “Apaloosa,” and “Quigley Down Under?” regards, Alemaster

24. Doug Walker says:

1. Unforgiven 2. True Grit, tuff call between original or remake 3. Shane 4. The cowboys

25. Ofay Cat says:

“Shane” – Alan Ladd .. Early 50s … great movie with Van Heflin and I think Jack Palance’s first role.

“Valdez is Coming” – Burt Lancaster …. really good movie ….

“One-eyed Jacks” – Marlin Brando, Carl Malden. Classic

“Going South” – Jack Nicholson … yeah that’s right … Jack N.

Okay, I know I am dating myself, but I am old and have always loved the western movies … I used to go the matinees on Saturday and see ‘serials’ featuring the cowboy hat likes of Johnny Mac Brown, Whip Wilson, Lash LaRue, Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, Tom Mix, Monte Hale etc.

Most of you won’t have heard of any of this shit, so … I invite you to check them out … I guarantee you will love those old movies.

OI also love all Clint Eastwood movies.

• Doyle says:

Been trying to get a copy of “Going South” from Netflix for over a year now, think my kid would like that one.

26. Stretch says:

The Wayne cannon with favorites being:
    Stagecoach
    Rio Bravo (Angie Dickinson!) and its twin El Dorado
    Rio Lobo
    Chisum … the following exchange chokes me up every time I hear it:
    James Pepper:
    You know, there’s an old saying, Miss Sally. There’s no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum?
    John Simpson Chisum:
    Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there’s the law. And sooner or later they find God’s already been there.

The Magnificent Seven
    Man-with-no-name trilogy
    Quigley Down Under (screw the geography it IS a western)
    Add the rest of Selleck’s and Sam Elliott’s collection and I’m good.

27. JBS says:

Jeremiah Johnson. Robert Redford is just another Hollywood/Colo. goof now, it is a great movie from the early 70s

28. Pittsburgher says:

Shane
    Unforgiven
    Jeremiah Johnson
    Man Called Horse

29. chams90 says:

The Ballad Of Gable Hogue lots of Boobs an a damn good story

• Scott c says:

Jose Wales first, then El Dorado ill tempered then funny but the not taking shit.

• Shell says:

Yes, but Jason Robards’ singing can only be described as diabolical.

• Jerry says:

That’s one I was thinking of, couldn’t remember the name.
      But I’d never forget the sight of “Hildy’s heart” to a young boy!

30. Tom says:

Training Day w Denzel.

31. livin to ride says:

The Good The Bad The Ugly
    Paint Your Wagon
    Nobody was Faster
    just watched Cowboys and Aliens last night
    hell man if ya got 6 hours to kill watch Lonesome Dove

32. John Remsdad III says:

Anything western with Eastwood or the Duke.

33. Mike says:

The Searchers…….John Wayne
    Red River…………..John Wayne

34. Peeved says:

Lonesome Dove
    Quigley Down Under

35. Hillbilly says:

Wow, twenty post’s above mine. I’ll second ” My name is nobody” and ” Going South” maybe not the best but they ain’t common. Monty Walsh was the best buckaroo scene for sure.

36. Family Tradition says:

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Lee Marvin was my favorite actor of all time. He was also a great American marine. We need more of his kind………….

37. Huckleberry says:

Outlaw Josie Wales ,The Sacketts , the best horseback riding ever is The man from Snowy River

38. BWBandy says:

“True Grit” and “My Name is Nobody”

39. Philip Paul says:

Big Jake because, Dog.
    I liked “Dog”. That’s what he called his dog and all he had to do was say Dog sharply and that thing would tear someone a new asshole.

Loved that.

40. Jeffery in Alabama says:

The Cowboys, True Grit (both the old and new are great), Big Jake, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Unforgiven, Lonesome Dove, Open Range, and one of the all time greats I watch over and over is the John Wayne classic The Searchers.

41. Grog says:

Everything that’s listed already.

42. Wind River Ranger says:

Appaloosa.

The Wild Bunch.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

Once Upon a Time in the West

43. Tri says:

Silverado. Tons of one-liners

44. madminute says:

butch cassidy and the sundance kid!

45. Edward Teach says:

Bandidas! :-P

46. Fluid Floyd says:

Hombre 1967 staring Paul Newman & Richard Boone
    Monte Walsh the original staring Lee Marvin
    Evil Roy Slade staring John Astin

47. Bobby D says:

Always nice to hear someone mention “the Culpepper Cattle Co.” No bigger than life heroes or a John Wayne saving the world. Just dirty street bums thrown on a horse. Saw it when I was a kid, never seen another western that made the impression on me this one did. “just the facts ma’am”

48. Curmudgeon says:

And don’t forget to add in “Outland”, the outer-space remake of “High Noon”. Definitely on “The Frontier”. Votes for the Spaghetti Trilogy, Stagecoach, Shootist, Unforgiven, and Magnificent Seven.

49. hbbill says:

Shane has to be my all time favorite. I like all of the others mentioned and one that wasn’t. How about The Tin Star with Henry Fonda. Also Cheyenne Social Club with Fonda and Stewart.

hbbill
    Somewhere behind enemy lines,
    Peoples Republik of Kommiefornia

50. The Frisco Kid with Gene Wilder and Harrison Ford.

51. Shell says:

Looks like we’re going to keep you glued to the TV for a while, compadre. Some really good and some great ones already listed. How about:

The Ballad of Gregorio Cortez – Edward James Olmos in a powerful story.

They Call Me Trinity and Trinity Is Still My Name – Terence Hill

The Cheyenne Social Club – Henry Fonda and Jimmy Stewart

Wyatt Earp – Costner ain’t a pimple on a real actor’s ass but he makes very good and at times great films. This one is good overall but Dennis Quaid’s performance as Doc Holliday was a star turn IMNSHO.

Second the nominations of Goin’ South (Nicholson’s constant sniffing and snotting and his stuffed-up delivery weren’t characterization. He and Belushi snorted up Colombia during filming); Hombre (Newman is magnificent).

Enjoy.

52. Doc Burgess says:

“The Professionals”, Lee Marvin, Burt Lancaster, Robert Ryan, Woody Strode, Claudia Cardinale, Jack Palance, Ralph Bellamy, Based on a fine novel, “A Mule for the Marquesa” by Frank O’Rourke;

“Ride The High Country”, a Sam Peckinpah early Western, Joel McCrea, Randolf Scott, Warren Oates.

“The Wild Bunch”, another classic Directed by Sam Peckinpah, Screenplay by Walon Green and Sam Peckinpah, with William Holden, Robert Ryan, Earnest Borgnine, Edmond O’Brian, Warren Oates, Jamie Sanchez, Ben Johnson, Strother Martin, Bo Hopkins, Dub Taylor.

The Johnson County War, Tom Berenger, Burt Reynolds, Luke Perry, Michelle Forbes, Adam Storke,

I like, and watch often, all the Westerns you all mentioned. My favorite of those mentioned is “Monte Walsh” with Lee Marvin. The background song sung by Mama Cass, “The Good Times Are Coming” lends extra flavor to the fine tale. Jack Shaefer wrote the novel and he also wrote “Shane” an all time best Western for me.

Doc Burgess

53. Dong says:

I would consider this a Pre-Western but ‘The Mountain Men’ with Charlton Heston and Brian Keith is top notch. During hunting season we watch it at least 2-3 time while in the deer woods.

My hunting buddy personally knows Seymour Cassel so he may be a little biased.

“BLACKFOOT ! I CAN READ SIGN ! G-DDAMN IT !”

• SemperFi, 0321 says:

They filmed it and ‘Shane’ here on the Gros Ventre River in Jackson Hole, 37 yrs ago I used to live in a tipi about 1/4 mile from the Shane movie set in Kelly, WY.

54. james nelson says:

Surprised that Wild Bunch isn’t mentioned more often. Valdez Is Coming is the barely mentioned gem here.

55. Woody says:

The Missouri Breaks is always good.

56. MSG Grumpy says:

for silly fun – Support your local Sheriff (if kids are watching)
    Blazing Saddles (For the adult crowd)

For best good guys and really bad “bad guys” – True Grit
    (Loved the Duke and haven’t watched the re-make)

for a musical (when the wife must be appeased) – Paint your wagon

It is truly a sad commentary on how far our country has fallen when you consider how many of the great films mentioned above could not be done today because of the fears that it would offend someone, go against political correctness, or hold up basic American values as high ideals to be shrived for rather than laughed or sneered at.

57. elborba says:

The Big Country, ya got Burl Ives winning an Oscar, ya got a despicable Chuck Conners, ya got the hot schoolmarm in Jean Simmons, Charlton Heston, and, of course, the great Gregory Peck playing a salty sea captain trying to be a rancher in the middle of a range war for cattle water rights.

58. Bobo the Hobo says:

High Noon

Shane

Just about anything by (sigh) John Wayne

Centennial. Okay, that is a television mini-series but Michener captured the true essence of the West (even if it is a shade liberal at the end.) and the important part for me was the final argument about riparian rights which is still being fought in states like Colorado and California.

59. Tom says:

Shit took place in Los Angeles or somewhere in Kollifornia, that’s West ain’t it?

Just fuckin with ya anyway.

60. anonymous says:

I really enjoyed the moment in ‘Open Range’ when the good guy asks the gunfighter if he was the one who shot his friend, then walks up to him a shoots him in the forehead – everybody else was WTF! Good movie.

I’ll 2nd quite a few of the above movies mentioned. Anyone else seen ‘Barbarossa’ ? Gary Busey – Willie Nelson 1980’s Texas / Mexico border movie, its a good one too!

61. NewVegasBadger says:

One the best Westerns of all time is, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. And I just love the sound track from that film. I’m in rapture every single time I hear, “Ecstacy of Gold”. Then there is Clint’s classic line; “You see, there are two kinds of people in the world my friend; those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.”

62. Daryl says:

Wild Bunch is probably my No. 1. When the music starts when they start walking to the final gun fight I always get chills up my back and feel like I could shoot one off in my pants.
    Open Range is probably one of the best of the more recent westerns. Then for the more recent era westerns, I like Lonely Are The Brave. Jack Burns is such a loner, and hard to not identify with him.

• anonymous says:

That LONELY ARE THE BRAVE is an adaption from the Ed Abbey book THE BRAVE COWBOY. Good movie – good book.

63. H says:

So many good ones already mentioned:
    The Professionals, Mountain Men, The Wild Bunch, Valdez Is Coming, The Searchers, Hombre, anything by Clint and John Wayne, especially the John Ford cavalry trilogy of She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, Rio Grande and Fort Apache. So here’s a few that might not have been thought of, including a few modern ones:

The Three Burials of Melqueres Estrada
    No Country for Old Men
    All the Pretty Horses
    Chato’s Land
    Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid
    The Getaway (original version)
    Tom Horn
    Hud
    Duck You Sucker
    And, I contend All the Right Stuff fits the bill too, especially the parts about Chuck Yeager.

64. Struan Robertson says:

Hondo. Wild Bunch. John Ford’s Cavalry Trilogy. The Professionals. The Long Riders. Dove Quigley.

Best lines?

“Fill your hand you son-of-a-bitch!”

J.W. Grant: You bastard.
    Rico: Yes, Sir. In my case an accident of birth. But you, Sir, you’re a self-made man.

“Dyin’ ain’t much of a living, boy.”

65. riverrider says:

yeah, i forgot open range, my bad. and i haven’t seen anybody say “310 to yuma.” good one for a modern film.

66. Critter says:

Two Mules For sister Sarah.

67. Denis says:

Made for tv series “Deadwood”. Not really a movie but a great watch. Too bad the series ended prematurely due to the writer’s strike a fees years ago.

68. Brian says:

Okay, gonna throw few out there that are fun to watch.

She wore a Yellow Ribbon

The Horse Soldiers

Fort Apache (You’ll have to forgive me for all the Cavalry picks, but I was in the Cavalry for ten years when I was in the Army)

Big Jake

Quigley Down Under (Yes I know it’s set in Australia, but it’s good)

69. MM says:

Got all of my favorites except for The Big Country-I never tire watching it, fabulous cast and an all time director

70. Kevin Ghequiere says:

One eyed jacks

71. Bill says:

There are so many good ones already listed but a few that were missed included
    The Long Riders
    Tom Horn with Steve McQueen
    Geronimo An American Legend
    Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid by Peckinpah

72. Bob says:

Tom Horn w/ Steve McQueen

73. Julia says:

The Searchers is #1(especially since her life turned out so poorly), followed by the Man who Shot Liberty Vance. Both classic Hero stories.

74. Glenn B says:

Don’t know if I have a favorite but here are several I have watched many times over the years and probably will watch again:

The Plainsman, 1936, Gary Copper and Jean Arthur.
    Arizona, 1940, Jean Arthur and William Holden.
    The Westerner, 1940, Gary Cooper.
    The Paleface, 1948, Bob Hope and Jane Russell
    Winchester 73, 1950, Jimmy Stewart.
    High Noon, 1952, Gary Cooper.
    The Far Country, 1954, Jimmy Stewart.
    True Grit, 1969, John Wayne.
    The Cheyenne Social Club, 1970, Jimmy Stewart and Henry Fonda.
    High Plains Drifter, 1973, Clint Eastwood.
    The Frisco Kid, 1979, Gene Wilder and Harrison Ford.
    The Shootist, 1976, John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart.
    Open Range, 2003, Robert Duvall and Kevin Costner.

75. Glenn B says:

I know you were talking movies but I would feel negligent if I did not mention the best Western series ever: F-Troop.

76. One movie I watch time and again, “Quigley down under”; Tom Selleck, Alan Rickman.

“Are you quite sure you don’t want the target moved a little closer Mr. Quigley? BANG You have the job”.

77. pdwalker says:

Hey, how come no one has recommended “Dances with Wolves”?

hee hee!

*runs away from the angry mob with loaded 6 shooters*

78. livin to ride says:

may as well put this one up it pre western but it’s a good movie
    LAST OF THE MOHICANS

• SemperFi, 0321 says:

One of the finest ever made, but I don’t think French and Indian War qualifies as a western, or does it? 1750’s NY was the western frontier.
      If so, it gets my vote for best early western!!!!

79. megan says:

wyatt earp?…o.k. so I’m alone on that one. true grit, tombstone, and old yeller anyway because a girls got to have a good cry (and you big bad boys cry harder)

80. Chickenmom says:

“How the West Was Won”. Quite long, but worth your time.

• SemperFi, 0321 says:

My first big movie show western, with the 3 projectors too!!!
      That movie left me mesmerized for years.

81. Briyan says:

I also going to say The Professionals, but I see it has already been mentioned. Damn good movie with Lee Marvin.

Silverado is a favorite and there is also one called The Quick and the Dead starring Sam Elliott. I think it was strictly an HBO release or something like that but I see it every once in a while on the cable movie channels.

And of course, anything by John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Tom Selleck, Sam Elliott, or James Garner is pretty good. Burt Lancaster was in the original The Unforgiven, The Scalp Hunters and a few others, and they are not too bad. And I don’t think anyone has mentioned Dances with Wolves, although it is more of an Indian movie than a Western.

82. Robert Evans says:

Hell, how could we forget McKenna’s Gold?

83. AbbyS says:

The Mask of Zorro, tho that is more Mexican than ‘Western’. Guns, swords, Antonio Bandaras, Anthony Hopkins AND Catherin Zeta-Jones.
    Hidalgo with Viggo Mortensen, tho that is part A-rab, but still, guns and swords…
    From Noon til Three, Charles Bronson & Jill Ireland
    Another tv show, the Wild, Wild West…..

84. charles w says:

The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean.

85. Bill says:

Any western with Richard Boone, including his TV show Paladin. Also liked Maverick TV show.
    I also remember Zorro with Tyrone Power. I liked Cat Balou before Jane became Hanoi Jane.
    A Pancho Villa movie with Yul Brenner, Robert Mitchum and Charles Bronson…but I don’t remember the name

86. dsmith512 says:

Quite a few John Wayne fans here. But you missed one. Tall in the Saddle.

For grins watch Evil Roy Slade with John Astin.

87. trimixdiver says:

Everyone has it covered although I did not see Deathhunt – Lee Marvin and Charles Bronson.

88. Chris from Canada says:

My name is Trinity with Terence Hill – Pure spagetti western. (There were many more with him and Bud Spencer. All good)

Or if it’s T.V. how about Deadwood with Timothy Olyphant.

89. ignore amos says:

Not one mention of “Treasure of the Sierra Madre” with Humphrey Bogart ???

90. Steve M says:

El Mariachi
    And it’s follow up Desperado

91. TC says:

Nevada Smith with Steve McQueen

92. MSG_Grumpy says:

did I miss seeing this one listed above? Surely this classic would not be forgotten: The Alamo

93. dhanna59@yahoo.com says:

omfg Kenny, what can of worms have you opened?…..I will just add to the fire and say this:
    “Dances With Wolves” is the absolute best movie period that I have ever seen. Now everyone can go batshit crazy over that statement. Now don’t get me wrong here, any body from Texas will tell you that Indians are nothing more than “prairie niggers”. Just drive by the res and look out your window, that’s all you need to see or know. I mean that if you could not invent the wheel over millennia you got cognitive issues….just sayin.

94. PaleAleRider says:

What about Hell on Wheels?

95. emdfl says:

Heck, if you ae going to get into Tv stuff, most any of the westerns made from the mid-fifties through the early sixties; Cheyenne, Sugerfoot, Have Gun, Maverick, and many others. Almost any of them(even Gunsmoke) were so much better then the anti-white/hetro/male/Christian/patriotic crap being shoved down our throats today.

96. In no particular order
    Movies
    The Man who shot Liberty Valance
    Quigly down under
    Shane
    The Cowboys
    Big Jake
    The Shootist
    The man with no name trilogy
    The outlaw Josie Wales