From Ironmonkey

Craig

I don’t have much info, but the consensus is that the guy reloads (which made me think of you), and fired a weak load, causing a jam. I’m hardly a firearms expert, but a couple of things spring to mind. Surely clearing a jam with another bullet is not the best way. Then, if that doesn’t work, you wouldn’t keep firing. And you sure as fuck wouldn’t reload and keep shooting (count the bullets). Also, whoever did it should not be allowed anywhere near anything with moving parts again.
It also occurred to me that it looks like the gun was in good condition before, shame, such a waste.
Anyway, thought you might be interested to see it.
Cheers
Ironmonkey

*****

“Damn! I ain’t even hitting the target. My sights must be way off!”
It appears to me like he needs to read his reloading manual. I suspect those were all squib loads – there’s a reason manuals list both maximum and minimum loads.
Either that or he was using those fucked up Russian primers.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to From Ironmonkey

1. Sconsin Rick says:

that is at my range. the paper says Conservation club of Kenosha County. CCKC. Bristol ranges. just looked at it in their fuck up and what not to do display again yesterday.

2. Neil R says:

Ouch.
    I had a Model 27 with the 8 3/8″ barrel just like that one.
    You’d think anything less than that massive N frame would just split and blow up, but we had one come into the gunshop about 3 decades ago that wasn’t much different.
    It was a small frame Colt in .32 caliber and the guy just kept shooting until the front end of the barrel split and the front sight fell off.
    Wish I’d taken a picture of that thing, the barrel had a three inch long split that ran down the underside.
    Don’t know if he was shooting handloads or not, but I’d imagine it was either that or some century old factory stuff his great granddad had left.

Imagine if that was an old RG pistol, those things are likely to blow even on a single shot!

3. Roger says:

Don’t think they all were squib loads. Probably the first one was. They were also probably not near full power loads. All the bullets were Full Metal Jacketed. The barrel is clearly bulged.
    You can get away with this stupidity with a revolver with its barrel cylinder gap to relieve the gas pressure. Not so much with an autoloader.
    the shooter should be kept away from any firearm or other items that demand any kind of good sense. Recoil would be minimal, muzzle blast would be vastly different with all the gasses escaping at the barrel cylinder gap.
    Smith & Wesson certainly makes a very STRONG revolver.

4. Kv says:

Wow. While I’ve not visited that depth of stupid…about a zillion years ago found a nice lookin’ single-six in .357 at an auction. As I was slightly impaired, it did not occur to me look down the barrel until AFTER I got it home. Just a little over halfway down the bore was a lovely ragged ring. I sighted along the outside and spied a slight bulge to match it…ugh. Sucker never saw so much as a .38 wadcutter until I sent it to the factory for a re-barrel. They only charged me $65 total and re-blued the old girl in the bargain. I haven’t bought a piece since without a barrel check first.

5. Dan says:

As Einstein said “two things are infinite….the universe and stupidity, I am not certain about the universe”. Some people should simply never be allowed out of the house without constant adult supervision.

6. Ted says:

I’ve only shot 5-6,000 of those Rusky primers. Have not had a bad one yet.

YMMV

7. John Denney says:

Maybe switched cylinders to fire, say .38, and there was a considerable gap between the cylinder and barrel? Modified with some kind of bushing at the barrel end of the cylinder to keep the cylinder in proper position at the hammer end?

8. John Denney says:

Curious physics. First round sticks somewhere in the barrel. When the second round entered the barrel, there would be air between it and the first round. As the second round went down the barrel, the air between it and the first round would compress to some peak value. You’d think it would be enough to expel the first round.
    Why didn’t the second round force the first one out? Did the first one’s copper jacket heat up enough with friction going down the barrel that when it stopped, it brazed to the barrel?
    What happened to the air between rounds one and two? And between all the subsequent rounds?

Play nice.