And this surprises you.

A year ago this New Year’s Eve, John Filippidis of Florida was driving south with his family on Interstate 95 when the Maryland Transportation Authority Police pulled over his black Ford Expedition and proceeded to raid it while his twins, wife and daughter looked on — separated in the back seats of different police cruisers.

The officers were searching for Mr. Filippidis‘ Florida-licensed, palm-size Kel-Tec .38 semi-automatic handgun, which he left at home locked in his safe. (Maryland does not recognize handgun permits issued by other states.)

This entry was posted in Gun Control, To Serve.... Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to And this surprises you.

1. Winston says:

Seems simple enough. I am aware of a guy who ran a stop sign that ended up with the cops as judge, jury, and executioner. We all are aware of the Fullerton Five. SOOOOO many others. The cops play rough like this, I am not at all surprised at the push-pack against them we have recently observed. I for one am glad to see them scared.

Personally I hope it leads to the cops cleaning up their behavior towards “mere civilians.” They mostly act like feral packs roaming and killing for little or nothing. Like killing a man selling “loosies” who had not paid the city cigarette tax. It MUST change and I am surprised they have gotten away with their behavior this long.

Further I am distressed, but not surprised at the incredible waste of public money sending cops across the country for such funerals as recently seen in NYC. They think they are such royalty they deserve such a send off. I for one say NO!

Winston

2. JPD says:

No problem for me. I do not travel in the Kommunist States of Amerika. Those include New York, New Jersey, Kalifornia, Maryland, Konnecticut…..you get the idea.

3. Bobo the Hobo says:

Last year, we attended a wedding in Maryland and because I refuse to kow-tow to the TSA, we drove from Florida to Maryland. We left our weapons at home because the thugs in Maryland scan and target Florida license plates; doesn’t matter if you have a record or not, you are under observation.

Fortunately, we were not stopped for any reason real or contrived, but my husband was worried that because we stayed in-state for a few days it would trigger someone’s curiosity enough to search our vehicle.

Florida is no better along I-95. Our drug confiscation laws target anyone from out of state and people have been legally robbed of their possessions because of suspected drug conveyance and our courts back the cops up.

This war on drugs is just so stupid.

4. singlestack says:

Cops will be predatory thugs as long as they don’t suffer any personal consequences for it. When that changes so does their behavior, as recent events are beginning to make clear.

5. Roger says:

I’ve just returned to my home in Florida (the Gunshine state) from a trip to new jersistan for my sons wedding. Avoiding the peoples republik of Maryland or at least as much of Maryland as possible was one of my goals. A firearm was carried in a locked case with ammunition in a locked separate case. Before leaving I had asked some friends in local law enforcement if information about my concealed carry license and my firearms ownership is available upon request by any cop. The answer was yes, but not directly, the cop would have to ask specifically about firearms or a CCL.
    While I was in the peoples republik of Maryland and in new jersistan, I carefully obeyed ALL traffic laws, speed laws etc. and had no problems with the cops.
    That said, the story of the Fillipidis is a good example of never giving permission for a cop to search your car without a warrant. (Yes I know, easy for me to say from behind a keyboard)

Roger

6. juju2434 says:

Egofucks. That’s them!!! Also, how’d these fucking clowns KNOW he had a 38 keltec if he was from Florida unless they are all sharing info on people. Fuck them!!

• Bobo the Hobo says:

Do you remember about two years ago how NYT “outed” legal gun owners in NY state? Law enforcement has access to the same (and more) gun ownership database lists – it ain’t no surprise to LEO’s that you carry.

7. BillDave. says:

I got pulled over and ticketed in Illinois on my way to Wisconsin for Grouse hunting. When he gave me the ticket he said, “I see you have your CHL. I don’t care if you carry but others officers might not see it my way.” I was like how did he know that? Then my second thought was he being cool and giving me a warning. E a Or being a smart ass know it all. I had it locked in a case so I was legal.
    Cops are different now. I actually take pleasure in knowing they are being targeted. They have targeted everyone else for years.
    Also, I think it is time for them to unarm themselves. Like the Bobbies in England.
    Tasers and pepperspray only. Solve a lot of things.

BilDave.

8. ruralcounsel says:

A couple of thoughts … it would soon be not worth the cops time to stop out-of-staters with carry permits if there were LOTS of them, and they either were transporting legally like Roger (and that only works if you are compliant with your starting and ending jurisdictions (it’s federal law for interstate transport) .. he was likely NOT in compliance with New Jersey, and so could have been arrested.

Two, make sure all your lights are working, and follow the traffic laws religiously so there is no pretext for pulling you over in the first place. Have a video cam ready to prove it.

Three, get your state to pass a law that keeps your CCW permit info out of the hands of other states. Virginia had such a bill recently; not sure how it fared. No good reason to let other states know about whether you have a permit or not. And having a permit is NOT reasonable suspicion or probable cause to be searched.