Another “Aw Fuck” moment in time

L31VTIg

This entry was posted in Aw Fuck. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Another “Aw Fuck” moment in time

1. skybill says:

Hi Kenny,
    Old Photo, early 60’s, pilot got banged up a bit but he was able to pop the cap on a Beer, take a swig and say,”No Sh#t there I was, ‘thought I was gonna’ die, I pulled the yellow handle and…..!!”
    Blue Skies, Black Death!!,
    III%,
    skybill-out

2. Lazarus Long says:

Gotta be a MIG.

3. Jack Russell says:

That’s the famous picture of English Electric Lightning XG332. Worth googling for the full story.

4. Martin says:

That looks like a British Electric Lightning…… Thank goodness for Martin Baker seats, pretty low opening though and its got to have hurt.

5. LC LtC says:

A Brit Lightning, I think. Pilot is low and chute isn’t open yet – bet he landed hard!

6. parrotile says:

EE Lightning fast-response interceptor. The early ones did have flame-out problems, and this looks like one of those instances – maybe just after takeoff (seeing as the gear’s still down)? The tractor looks like an old Fordson (but of that I’m not at all certain!! )

7. skidmark says:

It’ll buff right out.

stay safe.

8. Lord of the Fleas says:

I’ve seen this pic since I was a kid. RAF Lightning sometime in the late 50s or 60s. And no, I don’t imagine the pilot survived – way too low for the chutes of the day.

The caption on the picture at the site I got it from noted that the pilot ‘miraculously’ survived.

• Larry says:

Yeah, the pilot was lucky, alright. The elevator controls burnt through from an engine fire and the plane, which was on final approach, suddenly pitched upward and then stalled. That’s when the pilot ejected. He had little or no downward velocity when the seat fired (not quite a second after then canopy was blown off). The Martin-Baker seat saved his life, though he suffered a few broken bones. With most American ejection seats of the period, he’d have been toast.

9. pdwalker says:

Great picture. Even better being pointed to the back story. Thanks people!

10. Another great EE plane was the Canberra bomber. Later built by Martin in many versions including high altitude recon. Used a black powder start cartridge to fire them up. The noise was a fantastic warbling sound as they spooled up to idle. Growing up on Air Force bases I learned to live with jet noise but I looked forward to the B-57 starts.

• Flashman says:

A Rhodesian Air Force Canberra bomber crew voice recording of a low-level bombing run against a terrorist camp in 1978. Cluster munitions used. At points in the recording you can hear cross-chat with helicopter gunships in action.

11. Not what pilots mean when they say, “Plow the field”.