It might be Beans or Bullets, not Beans and Bullets

Understand the purpose of this isn’t to put down any other aspect of prepping or training, not at all. We just need to be aware that there will be more to surviving a disaster or event than fighting off commie/zombie/PETA hordes.

The emphasis lately seems to be towards tactical training. Again, I believe this training is part of a well-rounded plan, but only part. Personally, I believe that all capable men and women should know how to run a fire team rush, an IA drill, ambushes, counter-ambushes, understand flanking movements, and know and understand hand signals, comms, advanced first aid, orienting and all the other skills a good patrol leader needs to know, but hey, that’s just me. But notice I said patrol leader. Why? Because you might be the leader and OJT ain’t always a good thing – here it’s a Pass/Fail proposition at best. And why do we need to know these skills? Because your life may depend on it.

But while militia shit and running around in the woods is fun, those skills should be an addition to other survival skills, not the main focus.
Look. You’re working 40+ hours a week trying to keep the kids in clothes, food on the table and the bill collector’s off your ass and you think you have it rough now? Wait until some crazy fucking ayrab launches a EMP attack and turns off the lights. If they don’t have the capability now, they will soon. Or how about an economic crisis? Fuck, I was just reading on Drudge Report that China’s currency has just been slashed. We owe them folks a lot of money. Hell, it might be one of those “it’s not a matter of if, but when” natural disasters like the New Madrid fault or Yellowstone’s lava cauldron.

My first and foremost responsibility is to my wife. Nothing else in this world takes precedence over that. I swore an oath before God to take care of and protect her. Nothing will ever change that, not flood, famine or the fucking government. Most of us feel the same way, am I right?
With that in mind, our days are not going to be spent shooting shit up, it’s going to be spent providing for our families. We’re going to be farming, producing goods for barter, purifying water, providing the very basics for survival and we’re going to have to work 10 or 100 times harder to do that because we can’t buy it anymore – either it just ain’t there to buy or we can’t afford it anymore. Life will suddenly become a bitch. How much of a bitch depends on how much you prepared for the overall picture.

“We don’t need to purify our water, it comes from a spring.” Yes, you do. Up until the mid 20th Century, disease from poor sanitary practices killed more Americans than did war. That’s a lot of dead fuckers. When the plumbing fails, folks will return to using backhouses and where does the waste go? It leaches right back into the groundwater and groundwater knows no property lines. You may practice good sanitary habits, but what about the Okies living around the corner?
Learn how to purify water. Store some piping up in the attic so you can distribute it.

“We’ll grow our own food.” Okay. So you’ve had a garden before and had to spend maybe an hour a day in it. But how big was that food plot? And did you have pesticides and herbicides for the pests and weeding? How about power tools to help with the tilling? And that was when we had running water… So you’ve expanded your garden to take up your entire backyard and you’re doing all the weeding by hand and picking off the bugs and eggs in the hot sun and you haven’t even started with the watering yet. Sounds like that’s going to take up a big part of your day.
Once you have your harvest in, do you know how and do you have the means to preserve it or were you planning on fattening up enough in the fall to carry you through 9 or 10 months? Do you know how to can fruits and vegetables? I’ve heard scurvy sucks.
Learn to garden, learn to can.
What about meats? Can you salt cure, sun dry, jerk or cold smoke your meats to preserve them? Kinda hard to eat a whole cow or pig in a couple of days. A vegan maybe, but I bet that would be like eating a starving jackrabbit. Couldn’t gag that shit down, man.
You can forget about hunting. The woods will be so shot out after the first year that some game species will become extinct. Hell, California’s deer population is almost non-existent now, compared to other states.
A great amount of protein will be coming from our waters. You can eat damned near anything that lives in the water. But do you know how to set a crawdad trap? Do you even know how to make one? How about a fish trap? I tried one for the first time a couple of years ago, took me a week to catch one sucker. But set a hundred of them… jitterbugging, jug lines, trotlines, yo-yos and plain ol’ angling – the list goes on and on.
The thing with fishing though, is you have to know how to do it. It just isn’t something that anybody can walk out and do as well as somebody that knows what the fuck he or she is doing – especially with a rod and reel. You take a worm, put it on a #8 hook and flip it out into a muddy flat and you might just catch you a fish. In the meantime, I’ll take that worm, rig it on a Carolina rig with a 1/0 hook, walk 50 feet away from you and bounce that fucker off the shady side of that stump and I’ll be surprised if I don’t catch a fish and a nice bass at that. See the difference? Know the fishing methods that will work best in your area. Learn them and keep honing them. Not only will you learn a new survival skill but you’ll also have a hell of a lot of fun.

“Natural medicine? Huh?” Did you know that walnut root tea is a pretty good painkiller? St John’s Wort a natural antidepressant? Golden seal root is a great urinary flush? There are a million natural remedies out there, so many that I can’t even begin to get into them here. Do you own any books on this subject? Tried any of them out?
Oh, and be careful when you weed that garden – you might be discarding medicinal and edible weeds.

These are your very basics of life. The very basics. These are things you have to have to live. Water and food. Now, with all that to do, every fucking day, do you really think you’re going to be running tactical patrols non-stop? Are you going to have time? Sure, neighbors and friends will help out, but you’re going to be helping them out in return.
Myself, I’m 56 years old, I look forward to a good bowel movement every morning and my goddamned feet hurt. I’ll leave all that cowboying shit to the youngsters.
The thing with these patrolling skills is it’s not something that you can take the course, never practice them, and then expect to be sharp when you need them. You have to stay on top of them for them to be effective.
I’m not saying don’t learn them – no, no, no I’m not. There may come a time when they are needed and rusty skills are better than no skills. After all, a marksman that hasn’t picked up a rifle in a couple of years can still shoot circles around somebody picking up a rifle for the first time, even if he’s read up on how to do it.
What I am saying is don’t put your primary focus on tactical training. Instead, fit it into a more rounded plan of life if things should go to shit. Can’t run and gun very well if your belly’s empty now, can you?
Myself, I’ve never taken a tactical course other than the basic one that Uncle Sam provided for me a long fucking time ago, but hopefully I’ll get that taken care of when I move back east. I do plan on looking up JC Dodge over at Mason Dixon Tactical and look into his most basic course. Maybe I’ll see if I can’t sit in on one first – JC looks like he could run my ass off.

So there it is. Defense is a fine skill to acquire, but it won’t fill your wife’s belly. Get a working knowledge of everything you might need, not just patrolling and tactics.

This entry was posted in III Percenter, Patriots, Prepping, Tips and tricks. Bookmark the permalink.

66 Responses to It might be Beans or Bullets, not Beans and Bullets

1. fishdawg says:

It takes,using normal gardening techniques, 5 acres to grow enough food for a year for a family of four. A full time occupation…

• James says:

300 bucks will buy a family of four very basic/bland food that if you have water can live on for a year,again,very basic,will link article if allowed,have done it meself and for others.That would be the best first start food wise and almost every budget can afford it,if not,start with a months worth,the smalls add up!

• Exile1981 says:

The problem with that 5 acre thing is it is based on perfect harvests, access to lots of water and a long growing season.

Where i live back in the 1800’s they decided that 160 acres was the minimum size to raise food for a family of 4 and 2 horses and a couple of cows based on our short season and a not perfect year.

If you check your extension college or state ag division they can tell you what average harvests of a 100 foot long row will be in your area.

And see here in California there’s up to 3 harvests per season, depending on the crop. Corn for one.

• Exile1981 says:

Northern boy. We get frost till msy long weekend and i’ve had snow in june and august in freak years. First snow is late september. The good news is we regularily hit -40 for weeks on end in mid winter with blowing snow. Most of the grasshopers would freeze to death without electricity which reduces the pop very quickly.

• Scott Norris says:

And if our masters haven’t pissed away the water on a delta smelt or some such shit. I’m heading East too !

2. Guairdean says:

Food will always be plentiful if you have neighbors. You know, neighbors, the other white meat. This is tounge-in-cheek. At least until the pantry’s empty.

• ChuckN says:

Like the ant and the grasshopper, all those scummy grasshoppers
      are going to come to your door because they refuse to plan for
      anything. Many will try to leach and then incite others to turn violent
      if you say no. End result is that you may not be eating the other, other
      white meat but you’ve freed up a few more supplies.

• James says:

Long pig,it’s whats for dinner!My folks gave me the book Alive when I was 8,not sure what they were thinking but certainly got me thinking.

3. anonymous says:

Many good points.

Don’t forget energy to cook what you grow, shoot, trap, catch, or had stored. That energy could be wood, dry cow patties, concentrated sunlight, or something else.

4. I’d rather train Survivalists than the “Tactical Tadpole”, because the “Tadpole’s” perception is usually skewd to the unrealistic expectation of living Modern Warfare 3, or “Be a commando in three easy steps/courses”, not the SHTF realities. Come on out, we’ll square you away. I train students towards the “Possibilities”, not the “Probabilities” (a Buddy Team surviving a Squad Ambush is possible, but not probable). “Commandos” need not apply.

Sounds exactly what I’m looking for.

• James says:

Mason/Dixon,first,thanks again for your articles,have learned a lot to work with/think about.That said,your article on tactical training classes and showing the differing ways you/Max/Mosby do things was really inspiring me to attend one of Mosby’s courses,seemed geared for the newbie like me and to my living environment.While not cutting the lawn with pack(did it couple times)your article on em and using them has inspired me to do a lot more hiking with mine while building up the weight/while also weeding out what I need from what I want in pack.

5. PawPaw says:

Those who live through the first six months will be in a lot better physical shape. Those that don’t will be buried if family is nearby, or will just rot where they fall. A lot of us old folks who need daily meds will either die off quickly, or learn we didn’t need that shit in the first place.

I once worked a half-acre truck patch. Lots of work in that garden. Oh, and the larger the animal is, the harder it is to clean and butcher. A cow will work your ass to death, but a goat is like cleaning a white-tail. Pigs are good, as are chickens. There is a reason why most small farms in the late 1800s had chickens, goats, pigs and a big garden spot.

One thing the preppers forget is how to store food. What are you going to do with a bounty harvest of purple-hull peas? Do you have lots of caning jars? A big water-bath canning pot? Or, when they start to rot are you just going to feed them to the pigs? You do have pigs, don’t you?

Subsistence farming and hunting is a lot of fucking work.

6. Bootmaker says:

The Encyclopedia of Country Living: The Original Manual of Living Off the Land & Doing It Yourself by carla emery….indispensable
    also,
    a boy scout manual…the old ones, brcause the newer ones arent worth a dam.
    the Poor mans James bond series by Kurt Saxxon was good.( pretty much any of kurts books are usefull)
    The foxfire book…another cant-do-without type manual
    The Survival Medicine Handbook: A Guide for When Help is Not on the Way

7. Granny says:

Thanks for the heads up on a seriously real probability. We grew, canned and ate our own food, including 2 pigs, several chickens and the deer that Dad killed each fall. I hated winter rabbit because of early dark Dad couldn’t see to use the 22 after getting home from work. (the 22 was a head shot) Picking buckshot out of your dinner was a hassle.

8. ChuckN says:

A note about gardens, near the same area plant feed for the local
    critters. I have about an acre of garden and another a few hundred
    yards away of winter rye and clover. I’ve found it helps keep the
    deer out of your garden and there’s a ready supply of venison every
    fall.

9. AC says:

I have a rule about landscaping: if it’s not edible or highly useful in some other way, I don’t grow it. Let’s say you want a tree for shade – instead of planting a tree that will just give you shade, plant one that will give shade and nuts or fruit.

There is a book called ‘Restoration Agriculture,’ and if you can stomach or overlook the PC crap the author throws in with the actual substance of the book, it’s worth reading.

• kennymac says:

Exactly. I call it going native. You can plant many tress, shrubs and plants that are native to your area that are edible. It takes a lot of labor out of the food growing. It’s also way less conspicuous if it comes to hiding in plain view from the zombies or government. We have many plants on our property that cycle through the year naturally. You can’t keep the garlic mustard away but it’s great in a salad. Right now the sumac is maturing, and the heads make a nice lemony tasting tea high in vitamin C. But the good crop thing is no joke. Last year the spicebush, apples and cherry tress planted all failed to fruit. It would have been along winter.

• Anonymous says:

My feelings exactly, you may as well grow edible and/ or medicinal landscape around your house if you are going to water it. Aloe vera (good for sun burn) down in Texas is easy to grow, but i understand if potted, can be raised in more northern latitudes. Citrus trees (vitamin C), that sort of thing. Got to race the birds on those though.

Look up what natural foods and medicines were used by the American Indian grows in YOUR area – you might be surprised that the ‘weed’ you are trying to get rid of actually has some benefits.

My time is probably limited. Had heart valve surgery last year and require blood thinner to keep that synthetic valve from clogging up and stroking out. But I plan on lasting as long as I can before that occurs.

10. I AM PREPARED, ARE YOU? says:

As someone who is already at his buyout location may I relay a few words of advice. get to know your neighbors. Share food, chores and help each other prepare. You will learn what you may not know and you can do the same for them. #2 Set up a way to contact your neighbors at a moments notice. Do this for security reasons. When bad guys come around you want the entire neighborhood to descend on them like a swarm of yellow jackets. #3 Wirecutter is right learn how to can and preserve food- ALL OF IT! #4 Plan as if you are going on a 6 month or longer camping trip. Think clothes, shoes or boots, cool weather and hot days. Start putting these items into plastic totes. When the SHTF you want to be able to load it up in your vehicle in 2 hours. Forget the frilly shit. Only take what will last. Remember China makes all our damn shoes now and you will not be getting a damn thing from them for a long time. #5 I have dogs as my security team. I keep them current on their shots and I have dog food and rice stored to feed them. A bowl of rice and a dead squirrel make a fine dinner for a dog. I also have a plan to eat them too if the need arises. Folks, its survival not a not new episode of Kim kardashians ass movements.#6 have a plan to store and collect water. I am putting together a still to purify/distill my water. No liquor because when am I going to get all the sugar? I could go and on but the most important thing is get busy doing it and putting a plan in place. Put down the damn remote and stop all TV including all sports and get things done. Don’t be one of these dirt bags that thinks people are going to help you when the SHTF. Let me clue you into something, if I help every tom, dick and harry out that’s is less for my group. I am sorry that you haven’t been planning but DONT EXPECT ME to save your lazy ass. If you show up at my place and try to take it you Williams have a very bad day. Plan for the worse and hope for the best.

11. Tom says:

For weeds around perimeter fence, gallon of white vinegar + 2 healthy cup fuls of salt. Dissolve put into garden sprayer. Apply prior to sunny day. Notice I didn’t say you could spray this shit onto your garden, anything you spray with it will go brown and die in one sunny day.

Also, dandelions are your friend. The greens are fantastic, the other parts can be made into tea.

Accorns can be stored, pick em up in a basket. The Injuns used to make flour out of them. Soaked in a cold stream to remove the tannins.

Get out there and fucking hunt and kill something. If you haven’t field dressed a deer before or any animal, you need to asap. Hard shit to learn under pressure of survival. Gets easier every time you do it if you’re not stupid (place the deer on an incline mf, gravity is your friend).

No your small garden isn’t going to feed u enough during the North American Troubles but it’s going to be heck of a lot easier if you’ve at least DONE SOME BEFORE.

Good post WC thanks. I learned a ton from SHTF site before they started asking for emails n shit. People there were real neighborly about what works.

12. Don McCollor says:

…for the short term, two books: “Nuclear War Survival Skills (AEC/DOE 1960s) and the “USAF Survival Manual” (apparently you travel light when involuntarly departing an aircraft)…Just basic simple skills to do the best with what you have….

13. WC – with you on the oath. I could give a flying rat-fuck for anything else. My VOW was to care for my wife for as long as my blood pumps and my body breathes. I never promised that I would live forever – I must leave our daughter in a nation and a world worth living. My wife is a good woman, a sheeple, but willing to follow where I lead (mostly). We do the best we can, and I try to explain so that she understands . . . For the rest, we prep. When she is gone, then I will step off the porch, pour the gasoline and strike the match myself. That time approaches faster by the hour. I hope that I can train with you before we both see the elephant.

If not, then spend yourself wisely . . .

downeast hillbilly

14. Great post! Cover your bases and do what you can :) and we’d love to have you up any time

15. flagunblog says:

Amen. Times are a’ chanegin.

16. Al_in_Ottawa says:

After the SHTF there won’t be any game wardens so don’t forget nets and snares, especially gill nets that you can set across a stream and come back hours later and pull up. You’ll need weights and floats and rope to go with them. Learn to identify rabbit runs and set a snare, snare wire is cheap and snares work while you’re busy elsewhere. Also consider spear and bow fishing if those techniques work in your locale.

If you’re in the country besides a garden plant an orchard. The firmer apples (McIntosh, Northern Spy etc) can be stored through the winter in a wooden box buried in a pit and covered with leaves or in a root cellar. Apple trees also attract deer like honey attracts flies. Nuts are an excellent food store so know where the hickory, walnut and oak trees are on your property.

Tom Brown’s Field Guide to Wilderness Survival is an excellent book that lists a lot of edible native plants.

17. Rob says:

Great post Kenny.. I can hunt and fish with the best of them, but i need to learn more on preserving that food. Its all online these days but when the lights go out we will need first hand knowledge or hard copies. I plan to upgrade my library… just like the weekly ammo plan, I get great ideas here. Thanks again.

18. fishdawg says:

Hey Wirecutter, if you are moving to E. Tenn.,it’s a whole new gardening world. You got early spring planting/spring planting/early summer crops/mid summer then planting Fall crops. After that, sow your greens for winter. Next, harvesting pumpkins/winter squash and
    potatoes. Oh yeah,while you are doing all of the above, processing what comes in when ripe/ready. Then it’s squirrel season followed by deer/bear and turkey. Then Spring gobbler season and trout season. Almost forgot butchering in late fall/early winter. You can stay busy…

19. Rob says:

Off topic here, but i’m happy you are retiring to the hills of Tennessee. I’m a literal stones throw from Chattanooga. (less than a mile) If you are down this way I’d be happy to have ya over for dinner and a drink. I don’t have much, but what i do have is paid for. My ol’lady is a great cook and i always have some of the best Kentucky Bourbon on hand. You, Miss Lisa, CharlieGoddammit and Legal Lucy are always welcome here.

Thank you. I have a whole list of folks that have invited us over. Holler at me after we get there please?
      I’m really hoping to land on a couple of acres at least, that way me and Lisa can have a Knuckldraggin gathering of readers and Patriots.

20. mdfuller56 says:

Great post, Ken. One of your best.

21. elric says:

Great post, and interesting comments as well.

22. Charlie Mitchell says:

Great post.
    Me, I know some of it, but not enough.
    Here’s what I think is a shame. Anyone who was born in the 1950s like I was, their granddad knew most of that, and their great-grandad did that stuff every single day. Just four generations to lose all of that.

23. Mike says:

When the music stops, the first year is going to be brutal. Forty million people in the southwest part of the country and no power to move water to them and not much hope of them getting out. How about roughly two hundred million people living in the upper half of the country going into winter with no heat?

Survival will be due to luck in spite of preps. I saw the synopsis of a report that the USAF commissioned several years ago from the Rand Corporation. The subject was the effect on the U.S. Population after a general nuclear exchange. The conclusion was that 90% of the population would be dead in five years due to malnutrition, exposure, medical issues, and social unrest.

My personal program, for what good it will do, involves enough food based on the Mormon literature to give eight adults 3000 calories per day for a year, a variety of rifles and hand guns with enough ammunition that would make the national news if I got raided, a shop I built and stocked with a mill, lathe, welder, generators (assuming any fuel) and assorted tools so I can build or make just about anything.

Depending on the severity, the best preps, location, and timing may not be enough.

• Bootmaker says:

That shop with tools is an excellent idea. a shop/tools = a skill.
      Skills will be a barter item.
      I make leather footwear, I’m thinking of adding a small forge for doing stuff like leafspring blades.
      also, fuel might not be as much of a prob as you might expect….google “wood gas”.
      FEMA has a pdf pamphlet on it.

• Mike says:

That’s a good idea and a fallback plan for power. I downloaded, printed and saved the plans for a wood digester power plant. Cumbersome but it would run an older carbureted engine to turn a generator.

I see this whole game coming apart violently. I don’t know if they’ll get into a real shooting war as a distraction or if the currency and banking system will fail and stop all imports. Without the imports, there’s very little to work with since most of the factory equipment has been sold to Mexico and China. Given time it could be rebuilt but people have to eat nearly everyday. I honestly don’t know how it’s managed to hold together the last few years. We shall see.

• James says:

Mike,how about solar/wood gas generator ect. to keep them tools running.I would also if available on your lands consider water turbine,epa would hate it but could have pre made,ready to put up quickly.The site builditsolar along with mother earth news has a lot of ways to generate power you have the time to work something together.A good forge and anvil at moment a waste on me,that said,have a lot of scrap and when time permits will give it a try.

24. Always enjoy your advice, rants and raves. I live in central Arkansas. Stop by on your way to Tennessee. You will find the southern folks quite hospitable.

25. kmussack says:

If you are just now giving thought to being self-sufficient in the event of an emergency; you are seriously behind the curve. I don’t have any inside information but from where I sit, things don’t look too good.

Don’t focus on any particular disaster scenario. Instead address your needs such as potable water, food, shelter, energy, medical supplies, security, etc. Do a little bit toward each area then go back and add depth.

If you live in a one bedroom apartment on the 15th floor in downtown Phoenix, don’t bother. Don’t live where mother nature is trying to kill you everyday and in the absence of electricity she will succeed.

Very, very few folks are capable of being 100% self sufficient for an extended period of time. I live in an area filled with Amish and Mennonites. Even these folks will be hard pressed to provide for themselves in a “long” emergency. What they do have is COMMUNITY.

Top priority for anyone serious about this stuff is to build your community. Neighbors, family and friends will need to pull together to make it through a real long-term emergency.

26. Just practice now. If you’ve never canned anything get half a dozen pint canning jars with lids and rings, find a recipe, and make jam or pickles or tomato sauce or something. Water bath canning depends on acid content to help preserve the contents – vinegar or lemon juice, if not the natural acid content of the food itself. If you want to can anything without a lot of acid, like green beans or meat for example, you will need a pressure canner. The Ball Canning website is awesome, plus they put out a book; sometimes pressure canners come with a recipe book as well.

Pressure canning over an open fire would be tricky. Get a good sized propane or butane stove and the fuel for it so you can pressure-can under more controlled heat in a grid-down.

You can also ferment chopped vegetables by adding salt water. They’ll start to bubble and get a white scum on top, this is normal. When the bubbling is done they’re ready to eat or put in the fridge. You need to weight the vegies down so they don’t stick up over the surface of the liquid.

Stock up on Kosher or pickling salt, you’ll need it to preserve food and it doesn’t cost much now. You can use table salt but it will turn your pickles black.

You can also dehydrate fruit and vegetables; I use my oven at 140 F and pet screening I stapled to wooden frames I made, and I use empty cat food cans as spacers between screens, but you can also put them on a baking sheet on your dashboard in the summer, or make a solar dehydrator. There is a great website permies.com that has various off-grid “appliances”. They’re sort of greenie-weenie but their stuff works and that’s the important thing.

Other food fermentation/preservation things to try now: making yogurt, cheese, vinegar, wine, and sourdough. Rennet tablets come with a nice pamphlet of recipes for cheese.

27. Jim Klein says:

By my standards, one of the best posts ever. So thanks. Kinda timely too, huh?

“Philosophy moves the world.”

28. JebTexas says:

S.M. Stirling’s “Dies The Fire” sci-fi series looks at what happens if the trucks stop rolling. After years of thinking about this, I think he has the right of it. 90% of us will be dead after the first year, bro. 3 days of food anywhere in the US, and how far can your average metro-sexual ride his fancy 10-speed in a day? If you live within a hundred miles of a population center (>100k) you better be ready for the ravenous horde that’s headed your way. Stirling postulates “dead zones” where no one lives but the cannibals… who get a good start maybe two weeks after the trucks stop. The I-35 corridor from south Texas to Canada, California, the entire north east from Illinois to the east coast? Toast. I am not saying do nothing, or give up. But where you are on change day is going to have a MUCH greater effect on your survival odds than your skill set.

29. Okie says:

I am an Okie, and I guarantee I’m a lot smarter about most of this than Wirecutter will ever be. So I am highly offended by the Okie remark.

We already have a large garden, 3 freezers, a commercial dehydrator, a cellar, and a smoker big enough to smoke a beef. We have an asparagus patch, sand plums, and wild grapes as well as black berries. And I know how to find morel mushrooms in the spring. So yes, I can, I freeze, I dehydrate, I make pickles and jellies. I embroider and sew….and I don’t need a pattern to make most clothes or I can make my own pattern from an article of clothing. We raise our own beef, and it is grass fed.

And we have water purification equipment, wine making equipment, a mill, a lathe, welder, 3 tractors and lots of equipment. We have a back up generator that will power everything we have for 3-4 months.

Yeah, I don’t care if you’re offended.
      Sounds like you have the bull by the horns. Right on.

• James says:

Folks,just remember,a noisy generator will attract a bad element like a light does for bugs at night/run minamally or get a real quite one,why I like the solar idea.Yah,I know your armed to the teeth and all but times will be tough enuff without adding more un needed challenges.