“Meat’s meat, pilgrim”

YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, Wyo. (CBS Seattle/AP) — A 63-year-old Montana man was identified Monday as the victim of a fatal bear attack in Yellowstone National Park as officials awaited results of DNA testing to determine if a grizzly captured nearby was responsible.
Seasonal park employee Lance Crosby of Billings was killed last week while hiking alone off-trail without bearspray, according to officials. His body was found Friday about a half-mile from the nearest developed trail, near an area known as Lake Village.
“The victim’s body was found partially consumed and cached, or covered, in the vicinity of the Elephant Back Loop Trail near Lake Village on Friday afternoon,” the statement reads.

*****

I almost didn’t want to read this story for fear it might’ve been our good friend and reader SemperFi, 0321 who spends a goodly amount of time up there and surrounding areas doing his archaeology research. Matter of fact just this past week he sent me these pictures:

grizz front paw

Thorofare   Sig 192

Thorofare   Sig 219

I have the same model knife – it measures just under 8 inches when opened if you want to use that for comparison purposes.
And yes, there’s also a wolf track in the bottom picture, pretty damned huge in it’s own right.

This entry was posted in Cool Pics, Fish and Game, News. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to “Meat’s meat, pilgrim”

1. Kurt says:

I’ll be damned if I’m hiking anywhere without a firearm. In bear country I’ve never been with anything smaller than .44 Special. Sure and it’s best to keep your head up and awareness on 11. But on the off chance there’s big, furry surprise around yon bush, I’d like to shave the odds a bit.

2. Dan says:

A lot of people think humans are the top of the food chain…we aren’t. There’s lots of beasties out there higher than we are. Unless we use our big brains and tool making skills to make and CARRY effective weapons we are nothing but an easy meal for large predators. Anyone hiking, especially alone, in areas where bears, wolves and big cats live had better be armed…..if not they deserve to be an hor d’oeuvre.

3. Exile1981 says:

A couple years ago I drove onto a lease site and it was supposed to be empty. We see a huge wolf that looks mangy and grey stalking a front end loader.

We chase the wolf off with a couple of honks of the horn and it’s not happy about going but it skulks away. That’s when we notice a pair of legs stick out from under the loader.

Idiot is doing a lube service on the loader and wearing ear buds and listening to music. He sent his helper back to camp because he was having the shits. So he had no truck, no radio, no back up since working alone is a big no no. Also he can’t hear the wolf and his helper isn’t comming back for hours.

Since we had made a wrong turn and only turned into that pad to turn around he’s lucky he wasn’t lunch. We chewed the idiot out and drove him the 10 miles back to camp.

4. Tony F says:

I counted eight toes on that foot. Must be a mutant grizzly!

5. ChuckN says:

‘Remember kids, bears are more scared of you then you are of them’.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard this, especially from people
    who should know better. And it sounds like this guy definitely should
    have known. Further in the article I saw this, “park officials say the risk
    of being attacked by a bear is comparable to the chances of being struck
    by lightning”. Of course walking in bear country alone, without spray or a
    gun is about the equivalent of standing on a barren hill wearing a long
    metal rod during a thunderstorm; but hey, why bring up something that
    should be ‘common’ sense.

6. SemperFi, 0321 says:

We stayed at the Utah Dorms (1/2 mile from attack site) at The Lakes Mon July 27 prior to going into the Thorofare YNP on Tues, July 28. Took all these grizz pics while backpacking for 7 days, never saw a bear the entire trip but there were fresh tracks/shit every day on the trails and river banks. Wolves howled every morning and night, one night 150 yds from my tent after they had taken a cow elk down. It was horrendous to listen to her barking and mewing before they got her.
    NPS Ranger boat picked us up and brought us out to the Lakes marina on Tue Aug 4, and then the guy was attacked 3 days after we went home.
    YNP is one spooky ass place when you’re camping out in the backcountry every night. Yes, I carried a handgun and bear spray, in some places the willows are so thick and tall I walked with bear spray in hand, ready for use.

7. Hillbilly says:

I have that same Kershaw, except mine has a black finish. About five years back we had to shoot a black bear with a .44 special. Took 3 in the lungs and I finally had to run up on it and put one in the ear. I have a lever rifle in .44mag, occasionally I use .44special for that quiet shot at dear in the garden, the day of the bear my son grabbed the wrong box of .44s.
    I don’t like bear meat and as a general rule I don’t shoot bears around here, this one just killed my neighbors Rotty and was chasing our Shorthair. As black bears go, it was a small male.
    Seems everyone but me has had encounters with mountain lions around here.

8. Billl says:

I just saw a griz cub south of Mammoth in the park and Wolf outside the park (just north of Gardener) yesterday. I was safely in my car. When I am hiking in the Absorokas and Beartooths I usually have a 45 and bear spray. And I still get spooked at times. Fuck how could anybody NOT have the means to protect themselves when they know better?

9. emdfl says:

Heard later that it was a female with a cub. Idiot probably got between her and the cub and didn’t realize he had done so….oooops.

10. Tom says:

alone off-trail without bearspray OR A RIFLE.

Jesus I will never I understand how someone can roll off into Grizzly country without a rifle. I met a guy that hunted alaskan brown and got one. Put 3 rounds of 300 win mag into that fucker before he piled up in front of him. And no he wasn’t a bad shot, he was a damn good shot.

I always keep a rifle with me when working in my yard since there are black bears and even wolves been spotted (Canuck grey not out west wolves). Ya just never know. I heard a bear from the brush while walking my dog once, for whatever reason the dog didn’t alert (he was on lead). Later I went back and scouted the area and found both small and large piles of scat. That situation coulda gone bad in 2 seconds flat. Don’t fuck with mamma.