Good ol’ hundred mile an hour tape

fire it up

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Good ol’ hundred mile an hour tape

1. Grandpa says:

I’ve worked in aviation for better than 30 years, and one of our sayings on the ramp is…
    “if people had any idea what the heck goes on down here, they’d never get on an airplane…”
    I’m not saying WE’RE not safe, but you would be amazed and…. surprised at some of the bullshit maintenance control and/or corporate are… “ok” with….
    Still statistically safer than your car, but. … you know what they say about statistics.
    Me? I’ll grab a 12 pack, some snacks, and a sammich…. and take my truck. See you there tomorrow, and pick you up at the air patch.

2. singlestack says:

In that application it needs to be 500 mile an hour tape.

3. Rob says:

You look out the window & you see a mechanic taping your engine back together…

4. Al_in_Ottawa says:

We don’t use 100 mile-an-hour in aviation, we use 600 mile-an-hour tape! There actually is a mil spec aluminium tape that is much better than the stuff at Home Depot.

One of our aircraft rubbed a wingtip against a chain link fence, splitting the leading edge open. The manufacturer faxed over a sketch of how to tape it and told us to fly it home across the Atlantic.

5. th45 says:

In the Navy I used the green duct tape on Hornets occasionally, it will stand up to carrier operations for a few sorties before having to be re-applied, I’m sure it will be ok as long as the area where it is applied is totally clean and grease free.

6. FormerFlyer says:

Actually, that stuff is known as speed tape, or 600 mile tape, sometimes just called metal tape. It looks a little like duct tape, but trust me, it’s not.

Was at the Reno Air Races last week and many of the planes flying 500 miles an hour are covered in the stuff to seal gaps. Works really well.

FormerFlyer

7. jpalm says:

Hundred mile an hour tape? Just throw on 5 layers, that shoulds cover it.

8. crazyeighter says:

Worked on ’em, rode around in ’em, miss the crap out of it. I’d do it again in a heartbeat if every Navy job I ever had wasn’t obsolete.

What’s amazing in the civil aviation world is the people whose lives revolve around precision, (doctors and lawyers) are the first ones to ask an A&P to cut corners on maintenance of their personal airplanes.

9. crazyeighter says:

Hey Wirecutter, WordPress seems to be eating my comments again…

Naw, they went to spam. Yours does that at times as does Angel’s and Fjord’s. I usually check my spam before I moderate my comments, sometimes afterwards, but I do check them if I see anything in there.

• crazyeighter says:

I thought it might be something like that. I wonder why ours does that; no idea unless it’s some weird combination of ATT, Pale Moon (FireFox) and WordPress that makes it hiccup.

10. There are several aviation grade tapes available and in use. Although some look like everyday duct tape they are substantially stronger. And may cost up to several hundred dollars per roll. See for example: http://www.e-aircraftsupply.com/aircraft_products/file/aircraft-tape.aspx

11. Don Fanuche says:

This is aviation!!! That’s 500mph tape.

Don F

12. Rob says:

I worked on/flew in the HH52A in the Coast Guard, they got all the running gear from obsolete Army helos. I watched an Army training film on patching bullet holes on main rotor blades with 200mph tape.

13. Doonhamer says:

He is wearing gloves because he does not want to be associated with this come the investigation.

Yeah Mr Pres, your AF1 to Hawaii will be ready momentarily and your golf clubs are stowed.