Hoyt’s First Deer

Ken, these are my son’s first deer. He shot the nubby buck the second day of the 2015 Wisconsin gun deer season and the 4 point buck the second day. I could not be prouder of him. He’s been shooting since he could safely pull the trigger on a 22 LR and practicing with an AR15 for the past 2 years. We use and build Wildcats, for AR15 he used a 7mm Valkyrie, it’s about equal to a 7mm-08 he’s only 10 YO and just over 70 pounds so that’s pretty good in my opinion. I even made him drag it part way, well, about 20 feet – the deer was 134 pounds gutted.

hout deer2015

Well, Congratulations Hoyt! You and your father both have reasons to be proud.

This entry was posted in Cool Pics, Fish and Game, Hunting. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Hoyt’s First Deer

1. WiscoDave says:

Outstanding! Two less to worry about on my drive to work.
    Echo Kenny’s comments.

2. elric says:

Congrats on the pair of trophies!

3. rightwingterrorist says:

Congrats, kid!
    I sure do miss those big Midwest deer.
    They don’t get all that big where I live in TX.
    Cornfields and soybeans sure do fatten them up.

I can’t wait to move back east. Public land deer in California are fucking extinct, I think. I haven’t seen a legal buck in California in over 10 years. Plus they’re scrawny little coastal blacktails on this side of the Sierra.

• bison guy says:

Want a bison????

• tfA-t says:

Deer are so big in MI you can saddle ’em – a lot like the people here LOL.

• Elmo says:

“I haven’t seen a legal buck in California in over 10 years.”

For which I blame the lunatic utopianists who voted to ‘outlaw the trophy hunting of mountain lions’ in the late nineties. Idiots.

When they were circulating petitions to put it on the ballot, I was outside of a K-Mart when asked to sign it. I said ‘No, thank you’ and as I walked away a woman came up and said ‘I’ll sign it. They’re such beautiful creatures!’

It was then that I realized California was doomed.

4. ColdSoldier says:

Good job Hoyt! My 11 year old should have got a 200lb hog this weekend but he couldnt get the safety off (In his defense it is very hard).

5. t-bone says:

Congratulations Hoyt, for bagging the deer, and for having an awesome dad.

6. Woody says:

Congrats

7. Carpenter Bill says:

Excellent Hoyt! Great job dad. Love to see this! Life long memories for you both

8. gamegetterII says:

“It’s good to see a father teach his sons and daughters these skills and even better when you have a child that wants to learn them instead of sitting in front of a computer.”

Far too many would rather sit in front of a computer.
    Nice first deer!
    We have all daughters,they’ve all been hunting with me,and some of them still hunt when they can.
    Took the youngest-(21)- last year,but she only had one day off during gun season,and she’s not confident enough with a bow yet-she got screwed over by her job for our gun season this week,but Ohio has an extra 2 day gun season,plus a 4 day muzzleloader season in Jan-hopefully no one quits where she works,or breaks an ankle during either of those so she can get her first deer.
    The son in laws and boyfriends all hunt except one-and I wouldn’t trust that one anywhere near me with a nerf gun anyhow.

9. pigpen51 says:

Well done. Always great to see a son take the right path so early on. It makes it easier later in life to know which one to follow, and he will make a great man some day. Good for Dad, and it is what gives me the reason for hope for the U.S.

10. Tsquared says:

Plenty of meat. Congrats on the kill.

I just finished filling my freezer from the hunt this past week. One deer is all I need now that it’s just me and the wife, I got a 4-point last week. I have 2 roasts, 6 packs of steaks, 6 packs of cube steak, 10 lbs of ground meat, the backstrap (we had one BBQ’d tonight), tenderloins, and a mess of sausage and jerky. This was my second deer hunt this season and my first kill. Now I will go back to dove and quail.

11. kennymac says:

Very nice. Hoyt, you got a good Dad.