Web tracking

Seen at WRSA:

To get an idea of how complete a picture they get, now multiply that by all the times per day you visit, the places you are when you visit, and how you connect. Maybe you read your Facebook feed in the morning with your coffee between 0630 and 0700, and you visit a few links that go to CNN or Daily Mail or Politico. You connected via your wifi at home, so now there’s a series of data points showing that you are home at that hour every day, and that you probably leave for work between 0700 and 0730. Maybe you go to those sites on your lunch or break or while waiting on the train, carpool, or even in traffic. That’s another time/date stamp with location. None of this is even counting the part where it tracks what you click, what you like, buy, talk about, think about, and how all of that dovetails with other information about your browsing habits, interests, and what kinds of things you’re searching for on the internet.

FROM HERE

This entry was posted in Fuck the feds. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Web tracking

1. Travis says:

Here’s how I deal with it:

Use Firefox

Add Better Privacy : https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/betterprivacy/

Add Ghostery: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ghostery/

If you are very paranoid, add NoScript : https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/noscript/

Noscript shut everything down so hard it is a pain to use……

VPN’s are a good option as well, but cost.

Cryptohippie if you need more than that.

It can get a lot worse (more paranoid) but the firefox addons do a pretty good job for most things.

2. AC says:

Tails – https://tails.boum.org/ – if you *really* want to avoid this stuff. You’ll have better luck with this if Linux is not completely alien to you.

3. jimrpickens says:

Funny thing is, I show 5 trackers on your page too:
    1.Facebook Social Graph
    2. Google Analytics
    3. Gravatar
    4. Pinterest
    5. WordPress Stats

Those don’t surprise me.

• Nemo says:

You’re not surprised because the trackers come as part of WordPress and there’s nothing that you can do about them?

I also use Ghostery and Ad Block Plus. Been using them for years. The only ads I see are ones that are embedded directly in the page, such as ones on this page.

4. Tsquared says:

Hell I don’t even get up till after 8. It’s nice being retired. BTW: I need another glass of Scotch

5. Bredfan says:

Some – most – trackers are no big deal. And some – most – websites won’t do much with the trackers except try to make a little coin by serving you ads. And for some – perhaps not most – the trackers are used to actually make you enjoy the website more. For example, on one of my sites, I found that readers overwhelmingly liked the articles about concealed carry. That was based on the number of page views, time spent on pages, etc. With that, I was able to produce a bunch of new content all in the same category – it helped make the overall user experience better. Couldn’t have done that without trackers.

All that said – I don’t go online without my VPN. Ever. I use Hotspotshield for general daily stuff. I also follow some other guidelines:

– Don’t bank online. Or if you do, do it from a dedicated machine.

– Set Firefox to delete all cookies and dump the cache on exit.

– Use a Mac (I know, I know…but I couldn’t resist)

– On your Mac (see above) set up one account for daily use, one account for your admin that you never use except for major updates, another for extra-curricular web surfing, and if you let anyone use your machine, only let them use your guest account.

– If you really want to hide, use TOR too.

Play nice.