Comments

Hey guys, do me  a favor is you would – if a reader like foodgrower does a guest post here like the one below and especially if it’s a semi regular feature that we can benefit from, would you consider leaving a comment for him and let him know it’s appreciated? I’m not asking for an attaboy every article, but if something caught your eye or if you learned something, let him know. It only takes a second. It’s a lot easier to continue to do something when you know it’s appreciated.

This entry was posted in Blog. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Comments

1. toknowyourenemy says:

I will indeed, to foodgrower – thanks for the tip on seed refrigeration and freezing……did it wrong apparently but never again thanks to you.

2. Kim says:

Absolutely!

3. SemperFi, 0321 says:

I don’t garden, so I can’t really leave any comments. I’m assuming most others have the same disadvantage in that field.
    I’m a gun mechanic and log worker, and as you’ve seen, put in my unsolicited .05 worth. :-)

4. rightwingterrorist says:

I read ’em and tend to grow decent gardens every year. The pantry is full of canned stuff. The only magazine I subscribe to is Backwoods Home. Mostly though, his articles are full of stuff where I mostly go hmmmm, and see if I can either incorporate what he’s doing or if it corresponds with what I currently do. Not much to comment on, he’s pretty thorough. I do appreciate them. I’m betting he doesn’t live in TX or similar climes, at least so far as I remember. Like BWH, I’d like to see more about growing in places where heat and lack of rainfall are a major concern.

• foodgrower says:

No I don’t live in Texas but I do have to deal with heat and lack of rainfall. Our annual rainfall is only six to eight inches.

Summer can see us with with weeks on end of high double digit/low triple digit temperatures. Last year when we were trying to harvest our raspberries it was 118 degrees f. one foot off the ground beside the berries. The amount of loss to desiccation was terrible.

I suppose some of what we do would might be applicable to you. I already addressed what we do to prolong soaker hose life in the other post. Beyond that we use shade cloth on raised lattice to block the sun. These can be as big as 100 feet long and 40 feet wide. They are a pain to handle due to the weight, which is why we use a lattice framework to support them. We use heavy mulch to reduce evaporative loss from the soil and keep it cooler.

A lot of garden plants like lettuce have heat resilient varieties that produce adequately in hotter climates. We also use old wire window screens over elevated row covers to shade our lettuce plants (and other heat sensitive crops).

We also employ methodologies to grow certain crops earlier/later in the growing season to avoid the worst of the summer heat. This doesn’t work for everything but it seems like each year we are growing some things earlier or later to take advantage of the more moderate temperatures of spring and early fall.

foodgrower

5. Father Confessor says:

I read. I like. I will do as he says.

6. pigpen51 says:

You are right, I have been remiss in pointing out thanks to guests. I will make it a point to let them know when I have picked something useful from them. His articles are always filled with more than I can take in all at once. He seems to be a very helpful sort. I am glad he is here.

7. 55six says:

While I have directed people here to read them, I have not told him how much they are appreciated. Thank you FG, your writing is full of useful stuff to keep us all alive later down this God forsaken road. -556

8. foodgrower says:

To not leave anyone out,

Thank you everyone for the kind comments and support.

foodgrower

9. foodgrower says:

Hey Wirecutter,

Not a complaint, just a fyi, I just noticed the last, I’m pretty sure it’s three, articles don’t show up under the list of articles link at the top of the page.

later
    foodgrower

That’s because I’m fucking lazy.
      Fucking nags, I swear…..

I’ve got several things I have to update tomorrow Bro, and your page was at the top of the list.