Desecrating German war graves

In March 1942 my great grandparents were informed that their eldest son, Heinrich, had been killed in action during a patrol operation in the area of Krasnaya-Ghorka, in the swamps and pine forests south of Leningrad in Russia. He was the first of their three sons they would lose during the war, the other two were killed in action in 1944 and 1945.

They were told that Heinrich had been buried on a divisional burial ground in a place known as Glubotschka, 12 kilometres south-west of Tosno. For my great grandparents these names were just as alien and difficult to place as they were for me, when I started researching Heinrich’s military career in 2006.

While at the time of Heinrich’s death the cemetery lay more or less safe behind German lines, that changed when the Soviets opened their offensive to relieve Leningrad in January 1944. Glubotschka was overrun and it soon became forgotten, fell into disarray and was reclaimed by nature shortly afterwards. As the village itself, like so many others in the region, was never reoccupied after the war it did not take long to disappear off the maps completely. Glubotschka became the name of a region, which could only found on some obscure Soviet-era maps.
Seen at Free North Carolina

This entry was posted in WTF?, You can't make this shit up. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Desecrating German war graves

1. SemperFi, 0321 says:

Europe is a giant bone pile, people dig up bones from WW1 and 2, right along with bones from the Roman legions and Napoleonic wars. There is nowhere that isn’t actually a military cemetery, soldiers are scattered across the entire continent. Civilian cemeteries are routinely dug up and recycled in some places also.
    I have 2 uncles lying somewhere near Leningrad and Moscow, their remains probably ground up by T-34 treads. My father’s hometown was pulverized into dust, all my grandparents remains are scattered, and no one cares. It’s part of the planet’s evolutionary process, nothing lasts forever and is just dust in the wind. Another 100 yrs and our remains won’t matter to anyone either.

2. taminator013 says:

I went and read the whole story and I find it appalling. There is nothing wrong with trying to identify remains and arrange to give them a proper burial with their loved ones, but to film a TV show about it for entertainment is just wrong. The location of these sites are now out there for any ghoul to dig in. They should be protected and respected.

I am also against digging up ancient burial sites for any purpose. Do we really need to know how these people lived and died by desecrating their graves? How far back is it okay to go? Back in the ’90s I found three burial mounds while I was exploring in the mountains of northern PA. I have no idea how old they are since there were no markers visible. May have been marked with wooden crosses or something at one time. Someone cared enough about these people to haul a lot of river rock a long way up the mountain to cover the graves, though. Should I let some local archaeologist know the location in case there is any historic interest? Ain’t gonna happen. These people deserve to be left to rest in peace and not be dug up to satisfy someone’s curiosity. If I ever get up that way again I’ll stop by and say hello. Maybe I’ll get to meet them someday and hear their story…………………

• SemperFi, 0321 says:

look at this and let it sink in a while, maybe then you won’t feel so sentimental anymore. People here have no concept of death on a massive scale, and this is just barely a drop in the bucket, a mere glimpse of what went on then. You really believe the Russians should respect the dead and put flowers on every German grave?
      The German gov’t has a group who goes to Russia and buries any new found bones, they can’t keep up with them all, there are literally millions of dead peoples bones laying anywhere and everywhere, most unidentified. The German dogtags are not like ours, they only have a number and a unit, if you don’t have the unit records from that particular time, you can’t know who number 423 from 16th Flak Regt was. And the Russians were worse, millions of their dead carried blank ID, since they couldn’t fill out their own ID papers inside the capsule.
      Our turn is coming soon, so harden the fuck up…….or just be offended by everything that goes against your sense of propriety. The world doesn’t care.

3. nonncom says:

After what the Germans did to the Russians in WWII, it doesn’t surprise me any….Russia payed a heavy price to make sure the Germans learned the lessons of Napoleon….

4. guy says:

I want my carcass cremated and the ashes scattered.

Crap like this just makes me want it more.

‘Ashes to ashes, dust to dust’ is a comforting thought when you look at the alternatives.

5. pigpen51 says:

we see the same thing done here in the u.s. and the American Indians. Or Native Americans. Whatever your name of choice, digging for plunder is wrong. Out of respect for culture and to learn is sometimes acceptable, if done properly.

6. Sanders says:

I don’t care what happens to my bones after the bears get done gnawing on them.

God willing, if there is a breath in me before I pass, I will crawl up into the mountains and pass on my own terms – and get recycled into bear shit.

7. Leonard Jones says:

There is a morning talk show in the L.A. area hosted by an insane, and
    extremely manic Jewish lawyer: Bill Handel. His family managed to
    high-tail it to Brazil one step ahead of the SS. Handel is liberal as
    hell, but he is insanely smart and ad-libs at the speed of light. One
    day he was talking about how family escaped Balkans, when he told
    his side kick (Gary Hoffman) that he lost most of family in WWII.
    Hoffman responded by saying he lost members of his family in
    the war too. Hadel replied “Yeah, but they fell out of the guard
    tower.”

I know the joke is not original, but he spends as much time on Jews,
    Filipinos, Vietnamese, Armenians, blacks, and Mexicans. One day
    he did a bit about hairy Armenian women and the entire community
    went after him. “You want to complain, the line is about 2 miles
    long.” Every time he gets a Vietnamese call into his legal show,
    he never fails to ask “What does dog taste like?”

He always has the Filipinos sing “Feelings.” Think about that for a
    second. The first Mexican Shuttle astronaut was required to wash
    the craft before the launch and the first Latina SCOTUS AJ was
    required to bring the food on Chalupa Tuesday.

My all time favorite was when Dick Cabesa put together a parody
    to use on some story involving homosexuals, a spoof of the old
    Sonny and Cher song I Got You Babe. Why ain’t you gay, was
    funny but not as funny as when the program director burst into
    the broadcast booth and said “Congressman Bono is on the