Well howdy, Stranger!!!

Think of the millions of devices with video feeds—maybe the baby monitor perched over your kid’s crib or a security camera looking out over your back porch. A new feature on the most popular search engine for the Internet of Things just made it a lot easier to find such feeds. And it’s even creepier than you can imagine.

Shodan is a website that scans the internet for publicly accessible devices and captures their IP addresses—creating a searchable index that includes everything from in-home surveillance cameras to traffic lights to fetal heart monitors to power switches for hospitals. Essentially any of the so-called Internet of Things that doesn’t have a password is up for grabs, and that’s more devices than you’d think.

*****

Huh. Go to my computer or kindle cam and all they’ll see is the sticky side of a piece of duct tape.
Interception was also a factor when I did my security cameras – do I really want to crawl around in the hot fucking attic in July when it’s 105 outside running cables? Or do I want anybody at all to be able to hack into it and see what I’m seeing or doing?
I crawled around in the attic where it was at least 130 degrees.

This entry was posted in WTF?, You can't make this shit up. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Well howdy, Stranger!!!

1. darko says:

I got a post-it on my computer cam :) The question is, can the microphone get accessed.

2. Exile1981 says:

The kids complain but I wired the internet to each bedroom as hardline, plus to a few other places. Security system is hard line… hell even my suround sound system uses wires vs wireless.

A wireless home is asking for invasion of privacy.

Though I knew a guy when I worked up north who put a web enabled camera in his bedroom with s switch. He shut it off when he was home and used it to find out who his wife was cheating with that week. Petsonally I figure if you can’t trust her why are you still maried to her?

3. da_truth36 says:

@darko yes, the microphone can get accessed also. and any telephone in the house, whether it be corded, cordless or cellular. i think i read here (or somewhere similar) that about the only way you can truly avoid any eavesdropping or monitoring is to move to an abode out in the sticks with no wires coming in or out of it, and forget about a cell phone.

All they’d get at my house is me talking to the dogs. Miss Lisa’s usually in her office and I’m usually in our living area. Anybody monitoring me would die of boredom.

4. tripseven says:

If a hacker can gain access to your network the answer is yes. If you’re talking NSA, assume they have access to ALL forms of communication…unless of course you know exactly what you’re doing.

5. Papa Ed. says:

I too have tape over the camera hole – as for the microphone… well, I try to refrain from chanting “Kill the General” too often.

Papa Ed.

6. darko says:

thanks for your answers. well, it’s not a real concern. all someone could hear is me telling my kid: “no, you can’t do this” or no, you can’t do that”, “don’t jump on the bed” and think what a horrible parent i am :)

well, in this day and age anything is crackable i guess.

7. partyzantski says:

Take a look at the excerpt of the warrant posted at @josephfcox twitter feed today about 1000 today.
    …”Plenty of FBI malware grabs IP addresses, but as a reminder, FBI has applied to turn on a suspect’s web cam too”
    If they can take pics of you with your web cam, it would be naive to think that any entity of reasonable technical capability could not or would not turn your microphone on.