Tracking you like a hound dog

Pass a billboard while driving in the next few months, and there is a good chance the company that owns it will know you were there and what you did afterward.

Clear Channel Outdoor Americas, which has tens of thousands of billboards across the United States, will announce on Monday that it has partnered with several companies, including AT&T, to track people’s travel patterns and behaviors through their mobile phones.

By aggregating the trove of data from these companies, Clear Channel Outdoor hopes to provide advertisers with detailed information about the people who pass its billboards to help them plan more effective, targeted campaigns. With the data and analytics, Clear Channel Outdoor could determine the average age and gender of the people who are seeing a particular billboard in, say, Boston at a certain time and whether they subsequently visit a store.

“In aggregate, that data can then tell you information about what the average viewer of that billboard looks like,” said Andy Stevens, senior vice president for research and insights at Clear Channel Outdoor. “Obviously that’s very valuable to an advertiser.”

This entry was posted in Things to worry about, WTF?. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Tracking you like a hound dog

1. bogsidebunny says:

This latest “Big Brother” thing my just impact negatively on “H.H”……Highway Hand-jobs!

2. Robert says:

As if we aren’t tracked enough in our lives as it is…

3. somedude says:

you know this info lands on the desk of Stasi assholes.

4. Inbredredneck says:

I keep gettin’ text messages from ATT that by the end of the year my old 2G flip-phone won’t work any more. Guess if I can’t get another cheap-o GPS-free flip phone that’s 3G I’ll just have to do without one.

5. ed357 says:

Turn off the location services, wifi, and data…..

And just roll down the highway with the phone on.

6. gnome sane says:

Ours will be constant malt liquor ads.

7. wildbill says:

And that, boys and girls, is why I don’t own a damn cell phone.

8. rightwingterrorist says:

Best know where all of your local cell towers are.
    Much of your immediate problems can be taken care of if needs be.

9. tfA-t says:

People still go shopping? Amazon delivers EVERYWHERE. I see folks leaving their properties everyday, I call them the “back -n- forth idiots”.. I leave my land once, maybe twice all week. What’s out there in this GOD forsaken country that’s so damn important?

10. Dan says:

If the phone has power it’s possible to track it. Even turned off they can be polled for data.
    To keep a cell phone TOTALLY off grid you must remove the battery or put the phone in an
    RF shielded container. In ‘airplane’ mode in theory there is no communication. It is possible
    however to remotely turn on a phone with a signal or via a backdoor or malware in the OS.
    The NSA etc have a lot of tools to use on cell phones…..not all of them known.