“Please don’t shoot me”

In Daniel Shaver’s final moments, he was heard pleading for his life — sobbing and saying to police officers, “Please don’t shoot me.”

Shortly afterward, Shaver was shot and killed by one of them, according to an investigation report from the Mesa Police Department.

In January, authorities said former officer Philip “Mitch” Brailsford fatally shot Shaver after responding to a call about a suspect with a gun. He has been charged with second-degree murder and fired from the force.

On Tuesday, according to the Arizona Republic, authorities released a report detailing witness testimony as well as audio and video footage from a body camera that suggests an unarmed and intoxicated Shaver was begging to be spared. The report also indicates Brailsford may have had cause for concern as Shaver made a move toward his waistband while approaching police.

Authorities said Brailsford then fired five shots.

This entry was posted in Forgot to categorize. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to “Please don’t shoot me”

1. Tennessee Budd says:

Lavoy Finicum, anyone?
    Look, I don’t expect LEOs to wait until somebody actually has drawn down on them, but this “hand moving toward” bullshit is a bit much.

• Chris Mallory says:

I not only expect them to wait till someone draws down on them,I expect them to wait until shots are fired at them. A citizen has every right to be armed and able to defend themselves from government employees. The safety of a citizen is more important than the life of a government employee. It is well past time we started prohibiting government employees,especially cops, from being armed while they are in our employ. We are the masters and they are the servants.

2. John h. says:

Sorry but sounds like it may not b a bad shoot?? Hard to say just from the report but those things happen way to fast.
    John h.

• NC Mike says:

“…but those things happen way too fast” WTF, That’s all you got? Yeah, he probably just needs some retraining.

• John h. says:

U take the training then stare it down for real and come back with “is that all u got”. No it aint but u got the point. I didnt say it was a good shoot, i said that shit happens fast. Take a tueller drill then look at the time frame from when he reached for his waist. I got fed up after 9 yrs but ive been there. He’ll get a trial and we’ll see what a jury says. If he’s guilty, then he’ll get his due reward.
        John h.

3. rightwingterrorist says:

Enforcers and executors of the King’s laws.
    Nothing else.
    Very simple to see.

4. Mike says:

After 9/11 I was one of the troops that was tasked with -trampling your rights-
    I mean patrolling your airports with a loaded M-16. Mind you I was a Mountain warfare infantryman. with a two day crash course in police standards and training from our state.
    12 on 12 off for 8 months and not once did we almost shoot any one and I only once put my rifle at the ready after 6 months and 10’s of thousands of interactions. the irony of that event was. it was a cop that i was fixing to shoot. he only made one movement and i told him to stop and wow he did.
    of course I had a fire team to back me up, so most people just shut their yap and got on their plane.

5. l2a3 says:

Only 5 rounds??? I’m happy he did not have a 33 round magazine.

6. jay352 says:

Mike, I am all for .mil trained cops. At least you know that they aren’t frightened little puppies that pop a round every time they get scared.