Memorial Day

Florida National Cemetery, Headstones, sunset

I’m taking the day off today in remembrance of our War Dead and MIA.
May they finally be at Peace.

This entry was posted in USA. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Memorial Day

1. 15Fixer says:

JUST A COMMON SOLDIER
    (A Soldier Died Today)
    by A. Lawrence Vaincourt

He was getting  old and paunchy and his hair was falling fast,
    And he sat around the Legion, telling stories of the past.
    Of a war that he had fought in and the deeds that he had done,
    In his exploits with his buddies; they were heroes, every one.

And tho’ sometimes, to his neighbors, his tales became a joke,
    All his Legion buddies listened, for they knew whereof he spoke.
    But we’ll hear his tales no longer for old Bill has passed away,
    And the world’s a little poorer, for a soldier died today.

He will not be mourned by many, just his children and his wife,
    For he lived an ordinary and quite uneventful life.
    Held a job and raised a family, quietly going his own way,
    And the world won’t note his passing, though a soldier died today.

When politicians leave this earth, their bodies lie in state,
    While thousands note their passing and proclaim that they were great.
    Papers tell their whole life stories, from the time that they were young,
    But the passing of a soldier goes unnoticed and unsung.

Is the greatest contribution to the welfare of our land
    A guy who breaks his promises and cons his fellow man?
    Or the ordinary fellow who, in times of war and strife,
    Goes off to serve his Country and offers up his life?

A politician’s stipend and the style in which he lives
    Are sometimes disproportionate to the service that he gives.
    While the ordinary soldier, who offered up his all,
    Is paid off with a medal and perhaps, a pension small.

It’s so easy to forget them for it was so long ago,
    That the old Bills of our Country went to battle, but we know
    It was not the politicians, with their compromise and ploys,
    Who won for us the freedom that our Country now enjoys.

Should you find yourself in danger, with your enemies at hand,
    Would you want a politician with his ever-shifting stand?
    Or would you prefer a soldier, who has sworn to defend
    His home, his kin and Country and would fight until the end?

He was just a common soldier and his ranks are growing thin,
    But his presence should remind us we may need his like again.
    For when countries are in conflict, then we find the soldier’s part
    Is to clean up all the troubles that the politicians start.

If we cannot do him honor while he’s here to hear the praise,
    Then at least let’s give him homage at the ending of his days.
    Perhaps just a simple headline in a paper that would say,
    Our Country is in mourning, for a soldier died today.

© 1987 A. Lawrence Vaincourt

2. MP says:

ALL VETERANS WHO SERVED OUR COUNTRY THANK YOU

3. Oscar2Marine says:

Amen …..Fallen heroes all !

4. mike says:

I wrote this after an interaction with a ignorant cop and his wife at a cook out at my home.
    I think i would like to share it with all of you.
    My thoughts on decoration day.
    I am a veteran. I served like many of my fellow veterans, we gave the US government a blank check, that was written out up to and including my life.
    I took this oath.

“I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.”

I freely took this oath that you will notice has no end date. My enlistment had an end date, however my oath sworn before God and country dose not.
    I believe in God, the Declaration of independence, US Constitution and, Bill of rights.
    I believe in Natural law, I believe in the rule of law. I believe law enforcement must be held to a higher standard. That if you are in a position of power you are accountable to the people, from whom you derive your just powers.
    I believe that the government does not have rights, it has powers and responsibilities delegated to it by the sovereign citizens of These United States.
    I belive we have a republic, and I believe that it has been perverted and taken from us by greedy and self serving people.
    For all of this I stand. For all this I am the III%.
    For all this the Government has declared me a threat. Police are taught to view me as a threat, a criminal, a thug.
    Because I believe that we should help our own first, and you should work for your daily bread and I believe that you have no right to my life and liberty, that I want you to succeed and fail on your own merits. For this I am labeled a biggot.
    For all of these things my fellow citizens are being taught to fear me by a government that no longer works for us.
    If you fear a man that demands his rights and a return to the rule of law and justice. If you view that man as a threat to your country because he demands a return to the US constitution and Bill of rights and because he believes the bill of rights is an absolute limit on government action and chains that bind the goverments action and not his actions. May be it is time you evaluate where it is you stand and where you went wrong.
    Maybe it is you that is the threat to this great Republic.
    Perhaps you should reflect on this Decoration Day as we all reflect on what has been lost in blood and treasure in the hope of securing freedom and liberty for our posterity.
    I am the III%. What side of the line will you stand on.

A soldier of the old republic
    Sic Semper tyrranus

You may print and share as you see fit
    I only ask that you pass it on.

• 15Fixer says:

I LIKE THIS!!!!!! I am going to share this, and print this, and distribute this. Most excellently said!!!

5. =T. Wrangler= says:

H.C. Moore 1923-2003
    T/Sgt USMC
    Wounded on the island of Guam June ’44

I miss you Dad.
    Thanks for everything.

6. czechsix says:

All Honors to Them.

Politicians, on the other hand, can get fucked.

7. Jayhawk46 says:

I’m The Galloping Ghost of the Japanese Coast

By Constantine Guiness, MOMM 1/C, USN

I’m the Galloping Ghost of the Japanese coast.
    You don’t hear of me and my crew
    But just ask any man off the coast of Japan
    If he knows of the Trigger Maru

I look sleek and slender, alongside my tender
    With others like me at my side
    But we’ll tell you a story of battle and glory,
    As enemy waters we ride

I’ve been stuck on a rock, felt the depth charge’s shock,
    Been north to a place called Attu,
    And I sunk me two freighters atop the equator,
    Hot work, but the sea was cold blue

I’ve cruised close inshore and carried the war,
    To the Empire Island Honshu,
    While they wire Yokohama, I can see Fujiyama,
    So I stayed to admire the view.

When we rigged to run silently, deeply I dived,
    And within me the best was terrific.
    My men pouring sweat, silent and yet
    Cursed me and the whole damned Pacific.

Then destroyers came sounding and depth charges pounding
    My submarine crew took the test.
    In that far away land there are no friends on hand,
    To answer a call of distress.

I was battered and shaken (some damage I’d taken)
    My hull bleeds and pipelines do, too.
    I’ve come in from out there for machinery repair
    And a rest for me and my crew.

I got by on cool nerve and in silence I served,
    Though I got some hard knocks in return.
    One propeller what’s sprung, and my battery’s done
    But the enemy ships I saw burn.

I’m the Galloping Ghost of he Japanese coast.
    You don’t hear of me and my crew.
    But just ask any man off he coast of Japan
    If he’s heard of he Trigger Maru.

For all of my shipmates on Eternal Patrol…
    Sailors, rest your oar.

8. Andy says:

Amen Wirecutter. Blessings and prayers to all families that have suffered loss.

9. ed357 says:

All gave some……Some gave all.

10. martin says:

As a veteran, I don’t mean to sound ungrateful, but please don’t thank me today, I’m still alive. For that, I am grateful, and give thanks.

11. Vaquero viejo says:

Thank You sounds small and insufficient, but it is heartfelt to all who served, no matter where they were or what they did. I am grateful for one and all!

12. Devil Tongue says: