Tearing down and reassembling the Ruger Mk II

Probably one of the better videos I’ve seen on this.
When I bought mine about a million years ago the first thing I did when I got it home was to tear it down and when I say tear it down, I did a nasty on it, just like a 1911. I took it completely apart – bolt, trigger, everything. If it came out or apart, I took it out or apart. I managed to get it all back together but the damned bolt wouldn’t cycle all the way back so I ended up taking the damned thing back to the shop in pieces, in a box, where I promptly got laughed at and received my official membership into the Frustrated Ruger Owner’s Club. There’s approximately 14,000,000 members in it from what I hear.
It’s all about that damned hammer strut – it’s gotta fall in the right spot when you’re locking everything down or your bolt will come back halfway and stop. I still have to backtrack at least once to get it right even after all these years.
Anyways, here’s a video that’s focused with good lighting to show you how to do it.

This entry was posted in Gun Tech. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Tearing down and reassembling the Ruger Mk II

1. bucketman617 says:

Did the same thing. It was the same week I got reading glasses. If utube wasn’t around it would have been back to the shop.

Youtube can be your friend when it comes to working on your guns IF you choose the right video. Some of them will flat fuck you up.

2. Stretch says:

I’ve never had TOO much trouble with my MKII. I find Jailhouse language makes the parts go together much better.
    Yesterday’s gun show haul includes internal parts for my MKIII. THAT’S what I need a video of.
    BTW, love the stainless steel. I use carb cleaner to blow out the crud and can go up to 6K or 8K rounds between take-downs.

3. Stw says:

The second thing I did was buy a kit that allows me to remove the bolt with just one screw. My barrel and mainspring have been off once in 12 years.

4. ignore amos says:

Yup, back to Ruger’s instruction video each & every time. Watch, rewind, watch and stop for each step of the way. Swear a couple times & repeat.

5. drjim says:

I’ve never had one of these apart, but the NRA instructor I help a lot uses them for his “First Steps” classes, and claims they’re a real pain-in-the-ass to strip and clean.

He bought an ultrasonic cleaner, and dumps pretty much the whole pistol in it to clean them….

6. One of the reasons I sold my Ruger and bought a Browning.

7. Sconsin Rick says:

yep, number one reason I bought Browning Buckmarks instead. they take less than a minute to completely strip and about 2 to put back together.

8. SemperFi, 0321 says:

I’ve owned several of these over the last 40 yrs, got myself a blued 6″ a few yrs ago and the first thing I did was remove the mag disconnect (made a shim replacement myself), then parkerized it. I carry it in my pack all hunting season and make head shots on grouse consistently out to about 30′. My threaded .22/45 isn’t quite as accurate as the all steel one. But still awesome pistols.

A buddy of mine showed me his new Browning, I could be talked into one of those soon too. And boy are they comfortable in the hand.

I have a cheap used laptop I got from the school for $5, keep it for music and YouTube gun vids in my shop, great reference when you get confused over what part goes where. Someone, somewhere has already fucked it up worse than you just did, look for the solution online.

9. Bobby says:

I have the kit. Never go back!

10. KM says:

Didn’t watch the video…no need.
    Jeez, you’d think from some of the comments that putting a MKII back together is a cross between building a nuke reactor and launching a space shuttle.

Shove the barrel/receiver on the frame – hold it there.
    Point down, **pull trigger** to let the hammer go forward.
    Shove the mainspring assembly in until the bolt stop is in place.
    Point the muzzle up and let the hammer strut fall toward the mainspring plunger. Close it.
    (All this is on page 11 of the owners manual)
    It ain’t freakin’ voodoo. It takes all of 20 seconds even if you miss the mainspring plunger once.

11. Jeffery in Alabama says:

I made the mistake of taking a MkII apart pre-internet days and after several beers. It took me a while, but I finally got it back together. As Ken said, some of those videos are very helpful. I think some of those YouTube folks just like to hear themselves talk. As and example, I’ve been trying to learn to shave with a straight razor lately and some of those tutorials go from three to thirty minutes and all are basically the same thing.

12. I have a Standard Automatic (before MKII). I have had it apart several times over the years. The last time was so I could Cerokote it. Note, unless you need to replace the spring or the extractor, never remove the extractor and it’s associated parts. A large strong magnet will sometimes find the lost parts (40 years of working on guns, this is the most important lesson I ever learned).