Listen to me. Please.

Folks, now – not next week or the week after but now – is the time to buy your reloading supplies and ammo. I’m here to tell you that no matter who wins the election, there’s gonna be a run on the shit.
If Hillary wins there’s gonna be a run on it out of a very legitimate fear that it will soon be banned and dealers will quickly deplete their inventory. If Trump wins I can guarantee you that the inner cities will explode in protest and the same thing will happen.
We were caught short in ’08 and ’12 (myself included) and I’m predicting it will happen again. Don’t think you can wait until the new president takes office in January, the run will begin on November 9th. Order now.
22LR will be non-existent for months if not years. I would suggest at least 10,000 rounds. 5.56/223? At least a couple thousand rounds, same thing for 7.62 whether it’s NATO or AK depending on your platform. Shotguns? 500 rounds minimum and I’m talking small game.

Prices will go up. Shortages will happen. The last 2 elections have taught us that.
Reloading supplies as well as loaded ammo? Wideners.
Ammo? Ammoseek.com

Don’t wait until it’s too late. Buy now.

This entry was posted in Guns, Tips and tricks. Bookmark the permalink.

54 Responses to Listen to me. Please.

1. Elmo says:

Great advice, as usual. You’re not just another pretty face.
    And for entertainment purposes, continue tracking the value of Ruger (RGR, $58.90) and Smith & Wesson (SWHC, $25.73) share prices. Should be fun.

• Gator says:

I wouldn’t do that just yet. That’s a REALLY crowded trade. A lot of people thought the same thing and lost after Obama. Sure, if they held it until now they are in the money big time, but it took a while to make it back. I’d hold off a little while.

• Elmo says:

Note I said ‘for entertainment purposes’. I love to watch it because it’s tripled in price since the brainiacs in California divested from both stocks. Ha ha.

• Gator says:

Ya I understand you, just posting what I said more as a cautionary tale. I personally think buying a 100 pack of Pmags at 10$ apiece and sitting on them awhile is a good bet. On the plus side, even if the mag companies keep up with what is sure to be high demand and they don’t suddenly become worth 2 or 3 times what you paid for them, worst case scenario is you have a lifetime supply of mags for you and your family.

And I’d completely forgotten about that with the pension funds making a big production out of dumping those stocks. All these pension funds are deep in the red, and they dump some of their best performing stocks to make a political statement. Don’t worry though, Cali pensioners, im sure tesla and amazon will continue to climb through the moon forever….

• PMAGS went from $10-12 a piece right before Sandy Hook to $100 after about four weeks, and people were getting takers, and this was obviously at a time when there was no active ban, only fear of such.

Two or three times the price? No, I don’t think so.

Start adding ZEROS to your original price and you’ll be closer.

Remember, during the ’94-’04 magazine capacity restrictions, NOS or even used Glock magazines were going for $80-100 or more, per unit, for years, with the absolute certainty of Congress revisiting the issue due to the sunset clause.

Consider it a multi-generational investment for the well-being of your family, if nothing else.

• tayronachan says:

“You’re not just another pretty face.” You can say that again. Remember that bet wirecutter lost, and he had to post a pic of him in a tutu ballerina dress? That image is burned into my mind.

2. rightwingterrorist says:

“cities will explode in protest”
    Heh.
    My new job is sending me to Houston from Nov. 6th through Nov. 18th.
    I’m thinking just wonderful.
    Then again, it is Texas so things could, and just maybe, be a bit more stable than others places.

• Craig R. says:

I live in the Houston area. You should be just fine. Drive with your doors locked, keep situational awareness, and if it looks like a bad part of town…it is. If you are out late be really careful because there have been a lot of dindus and illegals robbing eating establishments (mostly fast food places, but a nice restaurant or two).

• rightwingterrorist says:

Sure thing.
        I lived there about12 years ago.
        SW ghetto zone.
        Have a bullet scar to prove it.

3. phil says:

My daughter works in a small town (pop.1000) gun shop. Yes, she can confirm it has been a banner year! Her biggest surprise is how many older women 40’s to 60’s have been buying protection for the past 2 years.

4. Mad Jack says:

I’ve got two local contacts and one out west. All have nominated the Ayatollah Obongo as Salesman of the 21st Century, but it’s early yet and Hitlery may do a better job. Me, I’m stockpiled, but I see no reason not to pick up a few extra boxes.

5. C.R. says:

Lets open a can o worms, what is a good AR type rifle? I have been mulling it over,and I guess now is a good time to turn to the Dark Side there are a million different manufactures churning out AR15s and depending on who you talk to or what you read, some are great,some are expensive flashlight carriers . Any recomendations ? How is the Ruger version ? I like their stuff . I guess I would prefer the original type with the carry handle .

God, there’s so many to choose from I don’t even know where to start.
      Suggestions from readers would be welcome.

• James says:

CR,what are goals with said AR besides owning one.You looking for short barrel/carbine/long hunting-target.Do you want the standard .223/5.56 or a different round,many to choose from.I have never fired a Ruger version but like their other stuff have fired,perhaps a few online reviews/posters here with one?

You get going soon could build a 80% receiver and have no fed registration,at moment still legal.Hit the AR 15 forum.com,go to forum.type info search and you will get all sorts of info/opinions/ect.,a great site for the AR

• C.R. says:

Well,I realy know nothing about the AR I would go with the .223/5.56 because I have a Mini14 in that caliber I think I would want a carbine something with open sights no rails a basic quick handling gun. Something reliable with good customer service and easly available spare parts, magazines ,and ammunition. Im not too worried about long range,thats what the 22/250 is for .

• James says:

CR,as the mini -14(like em despite their detractors!)you are shooting .223,they have for AR’s what is called the Wylde chamber,in theory handles .223 and 5.56 fine with great accuracy.Most AR’s chambered 5.56 these days,you can shoot .223 thru em fine and unless a superb shot will not notice difference/5.56 slighly better but want to avoid that in your mini and better/easier to keep ammo the same,in this case .223. 5.56 shot in .223 chamber can cause pressure issues,a lot of info./debate on this.All the Ar’s I have shot were nice,Colt/Anderson/ along with some higher end ones.As I said,hit AR Forum,loads of info/discussion.You can hit say slickguns and get a idea of different pricing/options out there,also check armslist for your locality,a good basic AR can be got all together for around 6,as I said,build your own receiver and order upper/barrel/stock/BCG/trigger group ect. and get just what you want,happy shopping!Oh,and get shopping now!

• C.R.

Anything built by a manufacturer with a good track record.

I’d also suggest a bog-standard unit; no need to get into the high-zoot, high-end private label stuff.

Smith’s M&P 15 Sport is so good that I have two, though both are first-gen guns with the tighter rifling twist, IIRC, which many consider desirable.

Ruger’s AR-556 looks to be very legit too, and I may just pick one up next week.

There are obviously a bunch of big players other than these but the value that those two represent is pretty astonishing, in my opinion.

I also like to run mine a very specific way, which is easy to do with the modularity and current availability of accessories; a low power variable scope (like Leupold AR-series) on a one-piece QD mount with a basic two point sling (Blue Force) and back-up irons. I’m looking at a slim line forend in one of the newer mounting configurations too. Light and mobile is key and plays up to the AR’s strengths.

Good luck, sir.

• Winston Smith says:

short answer: the one in your hand.

realistically, just get one from a trusted manufacturer or better yet a private sale.

personally I wont own a ruger I didnt already have before Bill Ruger sold us down the road on the hi cap thing. sold out to the libtard bush1 for personal gain. fuck him and all his descendants (yeah, I can hold a grudge)

• Gator says:

There are plenty of good options out there. PSA is a good one, fast shipping, good prices, and will do anything most recreational shooters expect from their rifles. Personally, first time buyer, I’d go with something basic and inexpensive and spend the rest on ammo and mags instead.

Also, primaryarms.com has some really good mag sales going on right now in case anyone is short. No, I’m not affiliated with them, just like good deals and figure you guys do too.

• jessejames says:

This. IIRC the barrels are from FN or the factory they outsource to. Don’t quote me on it but pretty sure. Built one for under $600 with a vortex sparq on it after Black Friday last year. Can’t beat it and while not good enough for the brand queens I get one in my hand and 3k plus rounds for the price of a daniels defense minus an optic. There’s better and more high speed but training & rounds > wundergun. It’s the Accord of ARs, they run good and parts are easy to get for them. Not a tack driver but inside 400m you are definitely the limiting factor. AR forum has good info but read it with a grain of salt. Lot of brand queens that dot do much more than shoot from a bench rest on their and definitely a few who cannot comprehend what ROI means. 2k for a reduction in MOA from 1 1/2-2 to 1 MOA is not a deal. Stay away from any magnesium lowers, I’ve seen two break now. Bad idea.

• PWS. AK technology in an ar style platform. Piston, less cleaning, runs cooler, and keeps you in the fight longer. Of course there’s the DI versus piston args. Had a Ruger 7.62 version, junk. A lot pricier of course. Negligible recoil.

6. James says:

While I usually agree with most of Kenny’s thoughts usually find something to nit pick about(because I am annoying brat!)but in this case agree completely.I would also add high cap mags(can order in rebuild form in outlaw states still)/parts kits(especially those annoying little springs/detents that seem to travel on their own,right Kenny?!)gas rings/firing pins/extractors ect..The parts kits are short $ and well worth it.A AR kit about 15 bucks delivered and enuff parts you can lose/wear things out twice and still be in the game,your personal firearms may vary of course.

Get all the ammo you can afford and forsee needing(tough,I know) to a degree,please though,if your in good shape,leave some for the next guy/gal.

I would say rather a few 100 rounds and a lot of practice then 1000’s of rounds and no practice.You locked in a city/tough spot to shoot a lot of dry fire helps and a good reason to visit kin/friends in country where you can shoot.I would add snap caps to dry fire drills for clearing practice ect.

I will close with a comment Matt Braken made(not verbatim),if you can still get your plane off the ground/your boat doesn’t sink you do not have enuff ammo!I will also close with if everything turns out just superb,you will still at some point go shooting and be covered for a decent amount of time.

I’ve got enough lower parts to rebuild 2-3 times – bought ’em because they ARE cheap and good insurance.

• James says:

I bought a bunch of parts kits for me and friends,since that time during full take downs the springs/detents ect. seem to cooperate,guess they know they are replaceable!

• Done this as well and it’s highly advisable. Just came in very handy when slick here, mishandled a disconnector spring the disappeared of the workbench. After a bit of cussing, I dug a replacement out of a White Oak parts kit. Bonus was finding the original under another bench later.

Get your parts, extractor kits and such now if you don’t have ’em.

7. CC says:

Are you kidding, WC?
    Supplies have been at the top of the budget since bathhouse barry first got elected.

• anonymous says:

I’ve been adding to my ammo stockpiles throughout Barry’s reign. Most of it goes into 50 cal ammo cans for storage and (if necessary) rapid movement.

8. Winston Smith says:

I agree completely.

And if we’re wrong, it shouldn’t be too long of a wait until the next ‘event’ that will trigger a run.

9. Prices are already going up. Wirecutter is speaking truth on this…ammoseek is THE best source to find what you need…

As I’ve told my friends and family, this IS the rainy day you’ve dabbed for…

10. cato says:

I have too much ammo …. a phrase NEVER spoken or heard.

• crazyeighter says:

“Too much ammo” is a self-correcting problem.

The only time you have too much is when you’re trying to swim with it or your house is on fire.

• Gator says:

That’s great. I’m going to remember that and will probably be throwing that out there to my wife in the not too distant future.

11. Hideousdwarf says:

No freaking money…grumble grumble…school…freaking Socal rent…

12. Jesse Bogan says:

Don’t forget gun shows. Know the price of ammo with shipping, and compare. Even with the typical “Gun Show Mark up” not paying shipping (especially if you are buying tonnage)usually evens things out. Plus, no waiting.

13. MTHead says:

The wholesaler for our shop,(Acusport), just with pulled all the cheap ammo. it will be back next week at a higher price! same game, different week.
    And yes, obitch was a good gun salesman, just like Hitler was a good travel agent. The uppes and downs in the business totally screw up though, I could live without.

14. Jim Jerzycke says:

Ken….what’s a good pistol powder for 45ACP and 357 Mag?

I know you shoot those rounds and reload.

I’m OK with my rifle stuff, but haven’t got my ducks in a row for our pistols.

Thanks!

15. cavmedic says:

Damn!
    The welfare state benefits
    and Free Shit Army funds
    are first class in California.
    Your splurging on more reloading equipment
    (and recommendation for others to
    hurriedly purchase more) makes it plain
    that you are not feeling any pain.
    Ahh, yes, life is good for you.
    With the wind at your back, the warm
    California sun, and pockets full of welfare state,
    Free Shit Army, disposable income.

Hey, just because your home state doesn’t allow reloading – or handguns or ARs or standard capacity mags or anything else gun related – don’t come down on us that live where it’s legal….. by the way, I left California months ago and my income comes from my retirement pay – you know, something that you earn from working a job for 25+ years? Don’t believe everything Sammy tells you. I proved him a liar when I posted the results from our court case.

16. Pete says:

It’s on. Midway, Brownell’s, and Powder Valley are all out of #41 primers…

17. ensitue says:

While I may be ‘just a pretty face’ I have been working towards a supply of needed items for the past 7 years.

18. wildbill says:

SGAmmo is good to go.

19. .weston.pecos. says:

October 28 is the time to tell people to stock up? You got to be kidding me.
    This post should have run on July 1st.
    Having said that, I am still getting ammo sales emails with 9 mm at $210 a case and 55 gr 5.56 at $320 a case. And, mags at $10 each, and LOTS of AR parts (rifles, lowers, uppers, enough BCG’s are available to melt down and build a thousand Empire State Buildings, etc).
    No, ammo and shooting supplies should have been in-gathered a long time ago.
    What you should be getting now are the BIC lighters, matches, batteries, gasoline, water filters, beans and rice, butter and oil, cheese. And, lots of popcorn and beer (if you partake of the Devil’s urine) because there’s going to be a lot of TV watching to do in about 10 days. I’m sure that FOX and CNN will have “LIVE” “team coverage” from all the major riots.

First time here? I can tell.
      I’ve been telling everybody for years to buy a box of ammo per week. If I thought they had I wouldn’t even had posted this.
      No, this isn’t anything new for me, not at all. Same thing with laying in supplies, at least 90 days worth.

20. TimeHasCome says:

Thanks Wirecutter for the timely article. I made my pilgrimage to Cabelas and bought a bunch last weekend . I know I paid too much but I paid in physical cash and I know Cabelas won’t be around forever . Hillary has her lists of those Deplorable’ s she despises . No matter who wins this country will swing one way or the other, just best to be ready.