Another reason I love Tennessee

The subject of discussion on the local radio station talk show yesterday was “The joy of owning a good squirrel dog”. I’m not kidding and it was a good half hour talk.

This entry was posted in Dogs, Tennessee. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Another reason I love Tennessee

1. fjord says:

so what IS a good squirrel dog?

Just about any yappy feist as far as I can tell.
      About the only qualification I could tell was that the dog barks at the squirrel from the far side of the tree trunk, forcing the squirrel to hide on your side of the tree allowing you a good shot.

• Robert Evans says:

Perfect description, Ken. Robert Ruark wrote about this hunting technique and the sort of dog required in his classic coming-of-age book The Old Man and the Boy. Well worth reading for all the hunting and fishing tips.

• truthzzzz says:

My parents found a starving feist out in the woods in North Carolina. It was grateful for some food and went with them, to being spoiled and fat and a long life. Great dog.

2. Kent says:

don’t you love it?

3. riverrider says:

even better is deer dogs. a bunch of hounds on the chase, baying away, is a beautiful sound. and nothin like watching something that truly loves what it does going at it. unless you’re trying to sleep in,lol.then it pretty much sucks.

• Eastwood says:

That is illegal in Tennessee. Also may get your dog shot when it runs off a deer I had already drawn my bow on.

4. steve tompkins says:

we have a local radio talk show here. they talk about things like “horse heaven” and “cow corners”. these are real places around here. its like Green Acres almost.

5. Tator says:

I build dog houses (insulated, rain proof doors, door flaps to keep heat in) and they sell for $300. The first day I posted one on Craig’s List I had sold 14 with many to one person.I pulled the ad in 24 hours. I was shocked to be honest, but I live in the Applicant Mountains. The first guy shows up who bought six and I had to ask him why he would buy so many and for $300. He said he paid up to $5000 for some of his dogs (Deer and Bear) so $300 was chump change. It is said here, if the wife says, “Its me or the dog(s), he will tell her pack her bags.

6. Angel says:

My squirrel dog climbs the tree to get the squirrel.

7. ChuckN says:

Wirecutter, what station? Do they have a podcast?

8. Michael Callahan says:

Let me guess you were glued to your seat the entire time.