Big Brother knows best

In Jack London’s famous short story, “To Build A Fire,” a man freezes to death because he underestimates the cold in America’s far north and cannot build a proper fire. The unnamed man—a chechaquo, what Alaska natives call newcomers—is accompanied by a wolf-dog that knows the danger of the cold and is wholly indifferent to the fate of the man. “This man did not know cold. Possibly, all the generations of his ancestry had been ignorant of cold, of real cold, of cold 107 degrees below freezing point. But the dog knew; all its ancestry knew, and it had inherited the knowledge.”

If only the bureaucrats in Washington DC knew what the wolf-dog knew. But alas, now comes the federal government to tell the inhabitants of Alaska’s interior that, really, they should not be building fires to keep themselves warm during the winter. The New York Times reports the Environmental Protection Agency could soon declare the Alaskan cities of Fairbanks and North Pole, which have a combined population of about 100,000, in “serious” noncompliance of the Clean Air Act early next year.
-WiscoDave

This entry was posted in Fuck the feds, WiscoDave. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Big Brother knows best

1. Unclezip says:

With any luck the EPA will be brought to its knees in the next year. They have reached too far from their original mandate, and seem to have a problem following their charter. After them, let’s go after the FDA and the BLM.

2. Boots says:

Shoot the bastards. Really. Shoot them. They’re a metastasized cancer that needs to be excised.

I’d not wanna be the fed agent that knocks on the cabin door of a subsistence dweller – and there are plenty of white guys living that way in AK – and tells him to put his fire out.

3. Fjord says:

But burning your city down to protest police brutality is acceptable.

4. partyzantski says:

okay… is EPA would enforce this HOW??? Their pajama boy swat crew would have issues up there.

• SemperFi, 0321 says:

They will send you a carbon tax statement in the mail, including federal and state penalties amounting to $47,562. Along with a photo of your chimney emitting illegal smoke (taken by one of your environazi neighbors) And you have no one to take your rage out on, because a computer did it. That’s how these bastards will do it.
      I heat with wood only, as does a large part of my town, we can only hope the EPA goes down the toilet with all the other alphabet agencies, but I doubt it.
      In 4 yrs after Trump is gone, this shit will start all over again, and worser.

Playing tough guy on the internet won’t work in real life, or you’d already have shot someone from the electric company or tax assessors office.

5. ChuckN says:

This has actually been happening quietly for years.Up here
    in Maine we’ve had to put up with this crap (though most of
    us in the rural parts give a healthy FU to the powers that be).
    The feds have put pressure on insurance companies to the
    point where many will not insure new houses with a fire place.
    Older houses can be grandfathered in but often a company
    will insist that the owner put in CO2/ash scrubbers.
    Housing inspectors will also occasionally through a fit if there’s
    a fireplace, especially one which is the main source of heat.

The main difference here is that the EPA is overt rather than
    sneaking “efficiency” scams under the radar.

6. fjord says:

They can’t leave anything alone.

Awhile back the USDA was insisting that wet brewer’s grains had to be pastuerized in order for it to be fed to cows. It’s an industry waste product that is utilized to keep it from being sent to landfills.

another example of regulating something just to regulate it. The cows need the microbials in the brewer’s grains. I don’t know if it’s enforced. I’m sure farmers just feed something else then. At higher cost, of course.

It’s all about the boot on our necks.

7. Granny says:

Come on baby light my fire.
    This sort of carry on is precisely why I bailed out and moved to Australia.
    Not better, fewer people.

8. MMinLamesa says:

In the story, which has always stuck with me, he did actually build a great fire. However he build it under a snow laden tree which dumped the snow onto the fire and put it out. He didn’t have the where with all to build another and that was that.

9. London’s “To Build A Fire” was required reading for us back in Jr. High. It was one of the first pieces of literature I was forced to read that I really loved. It spoke to me, and I remember it better than probably anything I’ve ever read. To this day, whenever a blizzard hits, I think of that story.

10. grayjohn says:

All employees of the EPA should be required to spend a winter up there to see how stupid they are.
    The survivors will be much better public servants.

11. lineman says:

Why do you think I push for Liberty Communities… If the Sheriff is on your side let them try and enforce their assinine rules and see what happens… Your neighbors wouldn’t be ratting you out because they believe like you do…Lots of things that could be accomplished when you have the numbers…And as much as I think Trump gave us breathing room I don’t count on him doing anything to help freedom all that much…That is up to us dirt people to do that…