Free hanging hive

I’ve never seen anything like this before.

This entry was posted in Cool Pics. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Free hanging hive

1. Never seen one of those before! When they swarm ad land in a tree, it is usually only for a short time while they scout out a new enclosed home. Man that is easy picking!

2. Lord of the Fleas says:

Anything to indicate this was in North America? That sort of thing could happen in Africa or some such hot climate …

3. Bogdaddy says:

Must have had “Queen Hillary” as their chief bug!

4. jack says:

Had one like that in one of my trees in Casa Grande, AZ. About halfway between Phoenix and Tucson.

jack

5. bogsidebunny says:

Looks like cow stomach (tripe) hanging there.

6. Happens all the time in the Southern States or so I have read. Plenty of videos of guys doing cut outs and swarm captures in places like New Orleans and such which show hives like that. A swarm that cannot find a suitable new home will often just start making the place they are hanging home and it will just grow. Anywhere further North than say Mississippi and the bees would all die the first Winter but I have seen free hanging comb almost that large even up here in Missouri left over after an unlucky swarm died out.

7. Hey, I saw one just like that in Louisiana, 1985 or 86. 8) I was only 11 or 12 years old, but I remember it well. I heard buzzing, looked around, and lo and behold one of these only about 4 feet off the ground. I was surprised. Came back a week later and the combs were there, but the bees were gone.

8. Arc says:

Free loot! Don’t get purple fever!

9. Thaisleeze says:

Common here in SE Asia, an old lady at my local wet market always has some in a basket for sale, at a price that you would not believe.

10. ralph says:

i have seen that here in wv, back in the 80’s
    my dad was a beekeeper.
    he cut limb down, found the queen. and put her in beehive. the rest followed her in.
    he hung comb nearby so bees could move the honey nside new home

in spring, when they hatch out extra queens, 1 queen bee will leave hive. taking part of the swarm,they usually land a short distance from original hive, while workers scout for suitable home, another hive, hollow tree, or whereever they are sheltered.that is the time to put the new swarm in new hive, to start another colony.
    but sometimes the queen not want to leave and workers will start building comb there.

but usually swarm moves on in few minutes, sometimes, but rarely can wait till the the next day to move on

11. Granny says:

Finding a bee hive that is enclosed in a split tree was one of my childhood triumphs. Wandering around in our woods, I was fascinated by the bees that were flying back and forth in a regular pattern. Then I saw the split in the tree. This was news!
    When I reported in to Dad. we scouted the tree and then gathered the masks, smoke lamp and other things needed.
    We got two number thirty washtubs full of wild honey, the chewy wax and the many jars of delicious honey. Returned the Queen to an Apiest nearby. He loaned Dad the veil, the smoker, the gloves and all the rest of the gear needed to raid the hive. Neighbors, and he was a Polish refugee,with his wife and daughter. Very shy and not given to overt gestures of friendliness,but Dad got past all that. I often wonder what happened to them.

12. Glider Rider says:

I had one like that in my backyard in Lafayette, LA. Every time a bad storm would pass a piece of it would fall to the ground. Pretty nice sized pieces at that.

13. Jimbro says:

I’ve seen a smaller version after one of my hives swarmed. I’m in Zone 5 so they didn’t make it through the winter.