I remember my 21st birthday

Vividly. I celebrated it at home with my parents and didn’t have a drink all night long.

What the hell, I spent my teen years in Germany where there’s no real drinking age, I was home on leave from Germany on my 21st birthday and somehow being able to drink weak American beer legally just wasn’t that big a deal.

21a

This entry was posted in Drunks, funny pics, Wirecutter. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to I remember my 21st birthday

1. Doonhamer says:

Love on the beach. Or sometimes Love by the ocean.
    You know?
    Fucking near water.

2. Unclezip says:

I went to Floriduh to visit my Pop on my 21st. Turned out that same day the state changed the legal drinking age to 18, and I wasn’t eligible for the free beer being passed out. Normally I’d say it sucks, but the free beer was Bush.

3. luis says:

That one and also that piss water Coors light.

4. singlestack says:

All light beer should be dumped on the side of the road.

• crazyeighter says:

“Sex in a canoe” AKA “fucking close to water.”

• ExpatNJ says:

‘Lite’ beer is just regular (non-‘lite’) beer, watered-down to specific alcohol and calorie levels. Any beer is expensive enough. I’m NOT gonna pay for water …

5. SemperFi, 0321 says:

A young archaeology buddy of mine went to Italy, Austria and Germany in Sept, I asked how he liked it over there, and with him being an Arapaho Indian to boot, I was surprised. The first thing he said was “I’ll never drink American beer again!”
    Sonofabitch learned some culture in a week.
    And me…..I’m drinking a Guinness as I type.

• singlestack says:

Love me Guinness laddy. It’s like a steak dinner in a glass.

• SemperFi, 0321 says:

It’s all I’ve been drinking for over 25 yrs, tried all sorts of new micro-brewery stuff, nothing comes close to original Irish made Guinness Stout; well, the Guinness Foreign Export is the best but can’t get it here anymore.
        If I want a light beer in the hot summer, I’ll have an O’Dells IPA.

6. gamegetterII says:

Bud Light is one of the top 3 nastiest beers made-Coors light is right therr with it-as is Busch light.
    American beer is watery and weak compared to real beer.

I used to drink Busch when I was broke but I’d go sober before I drank Busch Light – or any light beer for that matter.

• gamegetterII says:

I think we all drank Busch back when we were broke-at least those who are our age. A worse one was Goebel’s-it was about 4 bucks a case. Ohio had POC-stood for “pride of Cleveland” we called it piss on Cleveland. There was also Heidelberg,Weidemann’s,Carling Black Label,Stoney’s-and a few others I can’t recall at the moment.

How ’bout Buckhorn beer – 66 cents a sixpack back in 1978. Nasty nasty nasty…..

• singlestack says:

In the early 70s we got Stroh’s for 88 cents an eight pack.

• gamegetterII says:

Never had Buckhorn- had one I betcha was nastier
            Dragon Union-it was a Yugoslavian beer. Had a friend who did all the welding on garbage trucks for what was at the time a local company- BFI. We called it Big Fuckin Italians. Anyhow one of the guys who dropped off and picked up dumpsters for construction jobs picked up a dumpster from a Yugoslavian bar that had caught on fire. Beer had been in basement- only thing wrong was water damage to the six pack and case cardboard. Driver took most of it but gave Dale 25 cases for some welding work.
            That stuff was foul.
            The TV commercial that’s on now with the

7. veeshir says:

The drinking age in NY was 18 then 19 when I was 21 then 21 when I was 22.

They didn’t card you back then so the hardest part about your 18th birthday was not letting the bartender who’d been serving you for a year or two know that you had just turned 18,

My buddy turned 18 two weeks before they changed it to 19, with no grandfather clause.
    On the date, we lined shots up on the bar, he did them and staggered home, not to come back for a year.
    That’s the guy who did 21 shots of tequila on his 21st birthday. He wanted to go home so I asked him, “How many?” he said “19” so I promised to clean it up if he puked and got 4 shots (to keep him company), I was the designated driver so I probably only did about 12 or so.

I took him home and he slept in his (parent’s) driveway.

8. carl butler says:

fuck man, i don’t even remember my 20’s.

9. =T.W.= says:

I was told the only difference between Busch, Budweiser and Michelob was the time aged- 30, 60 and 90 days respectively. I drank Bud or Miller until the strike in ’76 when the Bud sold in L.A. was trucked in from St. Louis. Then started drinking Miller High Life. Tried some Euro brands- Lowenbrau, Becks, Heineken, Orangeboom, Carlsberg, Monkshof etc. One of my favorites is Bohemia.
    I refuse to drink any Light beer (OK, Coors. That’s pretty light.) I have nothing against Dos Equis.
    We used to get Corona in Mexico for five bucks a case, and a dollar back for returning the bottles.
    But I can’t drink that crap anymore. “La cerveza mas fina”, my ass.

Try Negra Modelo. It’s a good, rich Mexican beer with a great flavor. Probably the best thing to come out of Mexico since Chili Colorado.