On This Day

In 1980
John Lennon, a former member of the Beatles, the rock group that transformed popular music in the 1960s, is shot and killed by an obsessed fan in New York City. The 40-year-old artist was entering his luxury Manhattan apartment building when Mark David Chapman shot him four times at close range with a .38-caliber revolver. Lennon, bleeding profusely, was rushed to the hospital but died en route. Chapman had received an autograph from Lennon earlier in the day and voluntarily remained at the scene of the shooting until he was arrested by police. For a week, hundreds of bereaved fans kept a vigil outside the Dakota–Lennon’s apartment building–and demonstrations of mourning were held around the world.

*****

I remember this night – we were out in the field (we were always in the field in the winter) and I was giving a friend a break pulling a shift in a radio van so he could get on the shower run and AFN was playing nothing but Beatles and Lennon for some off the wall reason. It wasn’t until the next day I discovered that he’d been shot and killed but still, it was no big deal – I was more excited that the guy I replaced in the van was able to bring me back a half gallon of Jack and buy me a hundred grams of Afghan black hash.
It’s the little things in life, ya know?

This entry was posted in Forgot to categorize. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to On This Day

1. Andrew says:

Woooo, Lennon. The Bob Dylan of the Beatles. Whooptie-doo.

Now, I’d be celebrating if that bitch Yoko was whacked. That, right there, would get me to stand up and clap.

2. Granny says:

John would have approved, especially the bit about the hash.

3. Tom says:

I was not a fan of the Beatles but I remember my dad muttering “one down……….”.

4. taminator013 says:

Black Afghan? Nah, too rough. Now, a bit of Blonde Lebanese. That’s the ticket………………..

5. Carlos@danger says:

The only good thing ever spawned by a Beatle, Live and let die, and then GnR did it better.

6. H says:

Well, I never bought any of their records, really didn’t get it. More of a Stones guy myself.

It was said that the Beatles came to conquer, but the Rolling Stones came to pillage and burn. Probably a fair assessment.

7. Stretch says:

What were Mark David Chapman’s thoughts as he pulled the trigger?
    “Damn bitch moved!”
    What were Lennon’s thoughts as he was shot?
    “Damn bitch moved!”

8. Ed says:

I was driving up the 680 in Pleasant Hill, California listening to, I think, KFRC.

The announcer came on and announced the shooting, and then the station returned to the song in progress – which just happened to be Queen’s “Another One Bites the Dust”.

About thirty seconds after that the song was rudely interrupted and changed to something else.

I’m probably gonna burn, but that memory still makes me smile.