Right on

Most work places don’t require a sick note if you’re feeling slightly under the weather. You get an allotted amount of sick days and you use them as needed.
However, some work places are extremely particular with their sick-days policy.

Now that cold and flu season is in full swing, some of the most ridiculous workplace policies have begun to resurface on Reddit. One user’s post has resurfaced showing a photo of a friend’s doctor’s-excuse note showing the most epic response that immediately shut down the ridiculous policy.
In short, the note called the policy a waste of time and the doctor politely requested the company find a better way to spend tax dollars.
This doctor gets it. Stay home if you’re sick, for the sake of your colleagues and customers. Plus it’s just unsanitary.
SEE THE NOTE HERE

This entry was posted in California. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Right on

1. MMinLamesa says:

I was in Home Depot yesterday dealing with a woman who looked to be a day or so out from death. Drooling snot, red eyes, hacking and I’m thinking as I slowly make some distance between us, I’m not touching anything she thinks she’s going to hand me.

Lord lady, just stay home and rest.

2. Why says:

Woohoo!! I’m stealing……and not the post……I can just see some of my patients chuckling, at least someone will get a laugh ……

3. paulb says:

Well, it was in California. A known home or malingers and malcontents :-)

4. STW says:

I worked at a place that alloted 10 sick days yearly to employees. They determined that some employees took every day every year while others took few if any. The average was six. They dropped sick days, gave everyone six additional vacation days, and told everyone you have X days for vacation/sickness/doctor visits/whatever. Use them wisely. As I recall they allowed 5 carry over days so you wouldn’t lose vacation yet still have days available for year end emergencies if needed.

When I worked at Safeway we had 4 sick days a year. Four. If you used more than 2 in a row you were required to bring in a note.

• Unclezip says:

When I retired, the company actually paid me for six sick days I had not used. And in the 5 1/2 years since, I’ve been sick only once. There’s good in avoiding people in tight comfines (in this case, a cubicle farm).

5. snuffy says:

Depending on the number of employees, FMLA must be offered by employers. That’s the way to go. 480 hours. Certain restrictions apply, but it’s not hard to qualify for.

• pigpen51 says:

I had FMLA for chronic migraine headaches. My employer did not like it at all. They found a way to fire me after 35 years at the same job. They had me take a random drug test, and said I had some alcohol in my system. I had been at work for 7 hours that day, and just for the record, I had not been drinking that day, duh. I asked for proof, and they would not provide it, they said I had to submit a letter from my lawyer in order to get proof. They didn’t even provide proof to the state of MI, so I was able to draw my unemployment. They just wanted to get rid of me. But this was a major corporation, they are now owned by Berkshire Hawathaway. It is a steel making facility. And I have after 3 years been able to get disability due to not only chronic near daily migraines, but also due to a broken back that I had when I was 20, that has caused me pain for the last few years now. So sick days are not always a simple thing for some companies.

6. SemperFi, 0321 says:

I’ve had friends show up for dinners, so sick they could barely make it, but came nonetheless, because someone else was buying!
    Fucking parasitic leeches, grown adults who then get everyone else sick, because they do not understand the meaning of quarantine.
    Last winter i had 2/3 of my archaeology class hacking their lungs out in class, sitting next to me even, and I finally stood up one day and thanked then all for sharing their bugs with me, and I made it real clear I did not appreciate them making me sick too.

7. Rayvet says:

You only stay home and miss work if it’s impossible to get out of the bed. Sore throat snotty nose sneezing coughing you better suck it up and show up to work or I’ll fire your ass. This metrosexual wimpiness in this country must stop

If I don’t lick a cold when it first starts it hangs on for months and I end up missing even more work. I’d rather take a day at the start than a week’s worth of days throughout.
      On the other hand, I have gone to work with broken bones, a minor gunshot wound, and sunburns so severe I was running a high grade fever. Ya just gotta figure out what works for you.

8. Timbo says:

Self employed most of my life.
    Never been paid to stay home sick.
    If you work inside a building, I think staying home until you are past the infectious period, is a good idea.

9. Dan says:

As is usual this boils down to human nature….some people are responsible and reliable. They only take sick days if they are sick. Others are useless, lazy and at times worthless….they tend to call in sick for any, all and sometimes no reason. One group tends to be part of the ‘conservative’ or left side of the spectrum. The other is usually from the opposite pole. If I have to point out which is which then you haven’t been paying attention.

10. F says:

HIPAA works both ways – it’s none of your boss’ business what you have or why you stayed home. The doctor note should only say When you can return.
    My former employer (I’m retired) did away with sick days – all leave was personal leave. Use as you choose. Amazing what happens when make people act like grown ups.