So that’s what’s been happening to those barn cats

-Denise

This entry was posted in Cool Pics. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to So that’s what’s been happening to those barn cats

1. Padawan says:

Okay that’s sad. Barn cats are actually useful.

2. RonM says:

Need bigger barn cats.

3. Rayvet says:

I believe this to be photoshopped. An owl can not lift an 8-10 pound cat off the ground. And the cat would be too formidable prey for the owl. I’m calling BS on this photo.

It was sent in by a reader whose gamecam captured it. I don’t believe that’s a full grown cat.
      My punkindog was attacked by a barn owl when he was a pup (and a lot bigger than that cat) and permanently fucked up his right rear leg.

• ChuckN says:

Larger owls have routinely take 8+ lb hares. A small/medium cat would be no problem.

• cj says:

Local bird rescue center said, during a presentation, that they found 21 collars in a Great Horned owl nest recently…

• ignore amos says:

I often (every night in winter) walk the dogs after dark up in the woods behind the house. Many times I’ve seen an owl hovering along about 8 or 10 feet above my little dog, and she weighs 45 lbs. I’ve never been sure if the owl is sizing her up or waiting for her to scare up a rodent. No attacks so far.

• SemperFi, 0321 says:

I have huge horned owls sitting on the power poles across the street, they must run 18″-24″ tall. See them in the woods when I’m hunting too, they are a large formidable bird that could easily carry off rabbits and cats.

• fjord says:

Birds of prey can see UV light, they use this ability to hunt from the air because they can see urine trails of their prey. Rodents, especially rats excrete urine almost constantly.

the owl was sizing up your dog.

4. Tom W. says:

Nature’s a bitch ain’t it?

5. truthzzzz says:

Very slight chance the cat will kill the owl. It will certainly trt to kill that owl. It is out clawed.

6. Soapweed says:

You should see the owls and hawks try to clear the flight deck around here after nabbing the prairie dogs with a full oven…….jato packs would be a hot option.

7. STW says:

A few years ago some people watching one of those bald eagle nest cams got the vapors when they realized the carcass they could see in the nest was a cat. Reading their reactions made for an amusing several minutes.

8. danielkday says:

Farley Mowat described his owl in “Owls in the Family” as hating cats. Mowat didn’t seem to like cats much better. His pet, a great horned owl, was hell on the cats in the neighborhood.

• Timbo says:

Well that was something I don’t encounter often – a Mowat reference, and or fan.
      One of the few authors that has actually shaped the course of parts of my life.

9. downeast hillbilly says:

“Red in tooth and claw” is just another paycheck for wild things. When you go, you go ALL IN.

10. anonymous says:

Feral cats in the rurals have it tough. One of the smaller predators that is in the middle of the food chain. It is no surprise that if trouble even gets hinted at, cats sky for a fat man’s navel.