Damn, that would be a rush

This entry was posted in Cool Pics. Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Damn, that would be a rush

1. SemperFi, 0321 says:

Those fuckers fly thru here once or twice a week, usually 2 aircraft at a time up the canyon right over the glaciers and down the other side of the Wind River Mtn’s. I’ve had them buzz over me not but a hundred feet off the ground, you can see the rivets and access door stencils on the fuselage.
    OMG, what a noise too. We were building a house at the base of a sandstone cliff about 8 yrs ago, mtn sheep used to look down on us from a ledge 20′ above, and I hit the deck once as they appeared from nowhere, thought something exploded over me. I honestly don’t believe they were 100′ off the deck and going warp 6.

2. Timbo says:

When I lived in Gillette, I worked for a drilling mud company. Our warehouse was a corrugated/galvanized metal structure. When those guys would break the sound barrier, as they flew over, it would scare the living shit out of us!
    They would also fly over you at a couple hundred feet, as you drove down the highway.
    Our manager was a pilot, that used to do those air races, so he knew some guys and had some inside knowledge. He said the fighter pilots would use cars going down the highway as targets to practice locking in on. Not a comforting thought! Lol
    I absolutely loved watching them go overhead at low altitude! Fucking cool!

• H says:

When I was driving tank trucks in the oilfield in Central Texas in early 80’s, Texas Air Guard was still flying F-4’s out of Bergstrom/Austin and they were forever more buzzing us out on the leases at extremely low altitude, right down there. Sumbitches would scare the shit out of you because generally you wouldn’t know they were there until they were right on top of you because of the general noise level of operating machinery. There was a straight stretch between Bryan and Madisonville and several times saw a Four roll in over the trees at low altitude, level out pointing straight down the highway for a few seconds and then roll back out and I always thought, road interdiction mission, gun run, you just got killed. I never found out if they were just out practicing on finding targets of opportunity or if they were being directed in.

• SemperFi, 0321 says:

I have a USAF recon photo of me standing next to my camouflaged M-60A1 tank, taken from an F-4 at about 150′ when they buzzed us. They sent pics back to my unit, and we all got copies.
        Had a USMC F-4 use my M151 jeep as a marker when he came off the ocean and then climb straight up above me, he’d circle out to sea, head for shore and punch it straight up again. Don’t know why that canvas top wasn’t shredded, and I was covered in sand right into the toes of my boots.

3. favill says:

Isn’t that from the movie “Firefox”?

4. John h. says:

Would that mess up your cast for that big muskie ??
    John h.

5. Familyman says:

In my late teens, living in Germany, I always got a kick out of watching the NATo dogfights and the sonic booms.

6. Grandpa says:

Yes a B1b Lancer. Must be telephoto lens though, because if it overflew you at that speed and altitude, you wouldn’t be alive to comment…

7. Dan says:

That’s a photoshop job….those fly fly boys will get real low but not that low. The Lancer is 34 feet tall….and there isn’t room under that one for another one….no way they fly at 30 feet off the ground. A hundred perhaps but not 30.

• Andrew says:

No, they really do fly that low. Same hard terrain following system designed to penetrate Mother Russia. They will blast low like that just to impress. And, yea, probably kills the fishies also.

Tom Clancy wrote in “Debt of Honor” about a flight of B-1s overflying the Indian Navy’s Aircraft Carriers.

• Elmo says:

I was thinking it wasn’t doing the fish in that lake any good.
        And it wouldn’t do that B-1 any good if it happened to encounter an Osprey or an Eagle that happened to be out fishing at the time.

8. warhorse says:

I heard from a “bone” driver once (B-1..B-one..bone..get it?) and he said there is a pass somewhere up in colorado that is nearly identical to a pass in russia that leads to moscow.

they used to run it at high speed when the russians were watching..satellite or “open skies” aircraft…just to scare the crap out of them.

9. dogpigcat says:

The jet jocks are crazy. That’s why they do what they do. We chased birdfarms all around the pacific doing the plane guard routine. I don’t doubt this pic at all.

10. Larry says:

Actually, I believe this was done as a large photo-realistic painting. I remember seeing this back in the 80’s when I was in the USAF. In peacetime, they’re supposed to maintain a 500′ minimum altitude, but this is known to be violated sometimes. Even in B-52s. Lt. Col. “Bud” Holland was an example. There’s video of him clearing a ridge by 20′-30′. He was a maniac who ended killing himself and his crew in an infamous crash at Fairchild AFB, Spokane, WA, in 1994. In wartime, I think the minimum altitude is 200′, but might be 100′. I could see in certain wartime situations over calm water where a pilot might dial it down to 30′. This kind of flying is not by hand in a B-1B, it’s by autopilot (using a number of sensors, mostly radar) with the pilot always on alert to take over, if necessary.

• Daryl says:

Larry’s right. I thought I recognized that one. But I have no doubt they will get that low.

• I watched that crash happen with my own eyes. Holland was an asshole and his superiors were negligent. I crew member onboard that day was making the final flight of his career and was killed in front of his family and friends who were waiting on the ground to hose him down when he landed. (an Air Force tradition)

The B-1 bomber utilizes a nap of the earth terrain following computer to fly supersonic bombing runs right down on the deck. Crew members are advised to tell their families not to request to see the remains or to have an open casket as most of what is recovered from crashed B-1’s looks like hamburger. Remains recovery was part of my wife’s job in the USAF.

The B-1’s were used in exactly this supersonic/low altitude role to bomb Libya in the 80’s. One B-1 and it’s crew were lost on a bombing run in Libya.

The B-1 is also one of the loudest jet aircraft ever built. They are excruciatingly loud on takeoff. I watched a space shuttle launch from Cape Canaveral once and I thought the B-1’s at Ellsworth AFB on full afterburner takeoff were louder.

11. skybill says:

Hi Kenny,
    Yes the B-1B has the “Terrain Proximity (ground hugging) capability radar!! I worked on the ACES II Ejection seat program as a “Parachute Rigger” and yes we got briefings and check outs on the various birds the seats went in!! Got “Saves” (2) ea.from a B-1B and several from F-15’s, F-16’s and A-10’s! None of the pilots who used my “Pack Job” never has upheld the old tradition from WWII and before…’Ya’ Bail out and save yer ass with a Parachute..’ya give the “Rigger” a bottle of Whiskey!!!! Skydiver’s on the other hand always “Pay up!!” at least with a traditonal “Case of Beer” that way we can “Share!!!”
    Blue skies,
    skybill-out

• crazyeighter says:

No Naval Aviator of any repute would dare pull this on a ‘Rigger’ or AME (Seat mech). I’ve never seen a ‘Rigger do anything that would harm an aviator, but I HAVE seen them “adjust” things to make an aviator uncomfortable. Remember, in a lot of these jets, you can’t stand up and work out the kinks in flight, you just gotta live with it. Things like that are the reason I stuck with A-3 Skywarriors and P-3 Orions.

• crazyeighter says:

A thing I was fond of about those airplanes is that you can stand up to piss in both of them, unless you were an A-3 pilot, That’s because the autopilot never worked in them; anyone who knew how to work on that system died of old age.

• My father was an ejection seat specialist in the USAF from 1962 to 1985. He never lost a pilot or crew member even though a few could not resist testing his work. I still have my father but he went on hospice care today.

12. kdts says:

I bet the shit factor in that pond went up 10,000%.

13. RK Florida says:

Wouldn’t want to be the guy in a kayak out fishing.
    For those who think that these guys won’t fly that low, I tell you true, yes they will. Regulations are only obeyed when someone can see them. I’ve seen planes this low with that rooster tail many times. I’ve stood on a 90 foot flight deck and witnessed aircraft fly by at supersonic or near supersonic speeds that were below me. Never underestimate the crazy of a military pilot.

14. RampRat says:

I have a Dru Blair calendar from 2002 that includes this painting. His website is at http://www.drublair.com . Check out ‘Redemption’ (Apache) and ‘Mountain Fortress’ (B52).

• SemperFi, 0321 says:

That’s how they fly up here, straight up those glacial valleys.

We have a B-24E wreck here from Aug ’43, the first flight from a new crew, they were skylarking around the valley over town and buzzing local ranches for about an hour and then flew up a box canyon into a rock wall. I just got the USAAC accident report a few weeks ago, pilot error (negligence, wilful lack of care, non-compliance of flight orders and violation of safety orders) was responsible for the death of 11 crew members. Plane and victims all burned up in forest fire thereafter.

• RobinKaty says:

I bought a couple of his prints and damned if they didn’t get screwed up in a move. One was the Air Bridge II, not the original but 2nd which was still pretty cool first I saw I thought they were photographs http://www.drublair.com/collections/tankers-and-cargo/products/airbridge-2

15. Doonhamer says:

RAF used to regularly train at 50 feet.
    This was done during the Cold War and it was thought that that would be the only way for the bombers to reach their targets deep behind the Iron Curtain. Fly below the radar.
    They used to practice over the more desolate parts of Scotland. If you were driving and they flew over (always came in pairs) you would think that something very heavy had landed on your car.
    Very brave men.

16. ExpatNJ says:

A member of my extended circle of family & friends is a female pilot. Showed her this. She thinks this is just the cat’s meow. She wanted to take me up for a private session (small 2-seater). I declined her most generous offer. Now I know why the Pope kisses the ground after touchdown …