Damn, they look recoil happy, don’t they?

This entry was posted in Cool Pics, Guns, History. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Damn, they look recoil happy, don’t they?

1. DixieDennis says:

1) What is it?
    2) I want one!

2. Michael says:

WW 1 Tank killing gun probable captured from the Germans ??????

3. Gregg says:

“Finally, they sent up the right calibre for tanks. This’ll fix those krauts in their tin cans, but good”

4. Ed Pyett says:

Mauser anti-tank rifle

5. Unclezip says:

Best thing for Graboids.

6. Tractordude says:

We don’t need no stinking recoil pads!

7. C.R. says:

Would that little beauty be a BOIS ,or BOYS (im unsure of correct spelling) anti tank rifle ? I have read about them a bit in some of the history books ,but never seen one. She looks like a real shoulder buster

• Andrew says:

The Boys ATR was a British, magazine fed rifle (fed from a box magazine from the top) bolt gun, .55 caliber. From WWII.

The gun the WWI Tommies are holding up is a genuine Mauser on steroids. See comments below.

• C.R. says:

I looked it up on a couple of other web pages, they were some tough devils back in the day ! I somehow think the modern day snowflakes would shit themselves if they were in the same room as that gun !

8. Doonhamer says:

A very rare picture of members of the British midget regiment.
    The British generals deployed these soldiers because they needed fewer scarce resources and needed smaller living quarters and trenches.
    After the war the regiment was disbanded because ceremonial occasions became farcical as it was impossible for a full march past to stay in step.

9. Andrew says:

Mauser 1918 T-Gewehr. 1st anti-tank rifle. Videos on the internet are impressive.

10. crazyeighter says:

An example of this rifle in action. Note the grin after the first shot:

More than you ever wanted to know about it:

11. SemperFi, 0321 says:

The early pre-WW2 Fallschirmjäger were all trained on the Pzb38-39, a newer version of the T-Gewehr. My dad said it kicked like a mule, it did make you recoil shy.

12. Leonard Jones says:

The British had one as well. It was called the Boys Mk1:

13. RonM says:

Hurts my shoulder just looking at it.

I’m quite familiar with the sadistic sneers on their faces. Seen them many times, and they are usually accompanied with comments like, “Recruit, this one will be yours.”

14. Middle Englander says:

Also, the Projector, Infantry, Anti Tank (PIAT) Mk I. It was a British man-portable anti-tank weapon developed during the Second World War.
    Effective firing range‎: ‎115 yards (110 m)
    Maximum firing range‎: ‎350 yards (320 m)

I fired one (dummy round) at the Small Arms School (Hythe) nearly half a century ago.

Bloody thing uses a giant spring to launch the projectile and if you don’t get it tight into the shoulder it will break it. As it was it still moved me back a couple of inches in the prone position.

15. wildbill says:

Last time I was at the Patton Museum at Fort Knox (20 years ago) there was one of these on display. I don’t know if it is true or not, but I read a number of years ago that John Browning used the cartridge it fired as the basis for the .50 Browning used in the Ma Deuce.