I don’t believe I’ve ever seen clouds like this

This entry was posted in Cool Pics. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to I don’t believe I’ve ever seen clouds like this

1. buzz1949 says:

If I were out standing in that field, I would run like a motherfucker to shelter.

• Elmo says:

‘Mammatus’, as in ‘mammary’. Cool! Easy to remember.
      Come to think of it, I wonder if that’s where the term ‘Mama’ comes from?

• Timbo says:

Sorry Dude, testicular nimbus.
      Similiar….

2. partyzantski says:

Mammatus clouds. BTW, I like your new State flag icon!

3. mark says:

Dingleberry clouds?

4. Geoff R says:

mammatus is derived from the Latin mamma (meaning “udder” or “breast”)Dave,I don’t think i’ll ever look at clouds the same way ever again,who’d a thought,boob clouds.

5. gamegetterII says:

I seen clouds like that- had somethin to do with brown windowpane…

6. We get them boob clouds here in the Rockies all the time. I suppose they do up in the Tetons, as well, but that might be redundant.

7. Kevin says:

And if you could back that picture out more you would see a classic super cell thunderstorm complete with the anvil, shelf cloud, downdraft (rain) and updraft off to the left behind the rain.
    That is also where you would find the wall cloud which at times starts rotation and becomes your classic tornado.

8. Mike says:

Those clouds mean somebody is about to loose a trailer house.

9. Gordon says:

As others have pointed out, they are mammatus clouds. They form around thunder storms and are actually quite common. But most people don’t see them because the storm has chased them indoors.

10. Actually quite common here in the PNW. Usually before or after a T-storm. I’m an amateur astronomer so I’m always looking up………day or night.