Me and that Great Big Yella Bastard over the years

He’s doing fine in his old age with his nose planted firmly up Miss Lisa’s ass.
He was about 6 years of age according to the woman I got him from who found him running wild but judging by his teeth then I figured about 18-24 months. I’ve had him for 6 1/2 years now and now I’m figuring about 8, maybe 10 by the way he acts.
He tends to walk now more than he runs although he’s on a squirrel, rabbit or woodchuck in a heartbeat, but his most favorite thing in life nowadays is sitting on the back porch guarding Miss Lisa.
He tends to bite me now less often and it’s been a couple years since he’s attacked me for no apparent reason. He also checks visitors to the house before charging them outright.
I hate to say it but I’m starting to get attached to the damned dog.

This entry was posted in CGD, CharlieGodammit, Dogs. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Me and that Great Big Yella Bastard over the years

1. Skip says:

Prolly your best bud, ‘sides Miss Lisa.
    Chuck ‘im a rawhide bone for all us.

2. Granny says:

Thank you for the pictures of CDG. It’s obvious that the love and respect you have for each other is entirely mutual. Stop pulling his tail and he will stop nipping at you. (Maybe)

3. Doonhamer says:

Growing old gracefully.
    Those pictures cheer the heart. Thanks.
    Odd thing though – niether of you seem to age.
    Is there a portrait of your young se!ves in the attic?

4. elric says:

Right on!

5. Pastor Brooks says:

Yes, it’s hard to “not” get used to a friend being around….
    We lost our beloved Shilo-Grace II last week due to heart
    problems…she was 11 yrs. old. Full blood Lab.
    As the wife, and I, move through the house, at times we
    catch our selves looking over at where she would lay to
    see what she’s up to. At other times, we catch ourselves
    wondering if it’s time to see if she needs to go out, or in.
    It’s a haunting experience when the ghost of one, who was
    there, still seems to be there.
    Enjoy your friend, while you can …after he’s gone, it’s the
    cherished memories you’ll long for…and will be glad you have.

6. Padawan says:

The girls at the vet’s office must get a giggle when they hear his name.

7. RTinWeimar says:

Good to see your old friend doing well. we smiled at his “haircut” pics back when you lived down in the valley heat.

He gets them here too except during the winter when he needs his coat. We have to, he sheds constantly.

• shedding says:

Dog hair is shed from the follicle, so cutting the hair doesn’t actually reduce shedding, it only makes the shed strands shorter. FWIW.

He’s got 3 distinct coats and they grow slightly offset from each other. The top one is very soft, the middle one a little more coarse and the bottom one is very short and coarse. Every groomer he’s been to has commented on how weird it is. It’s gotten to the point that in the spring and summer I shear him myself – he’s pretty good about it. Once the top 2 coats come off, we’re hair free for a couple months.

Not doubting your word, but remember CGD isn’t pure dog – he’s 1/4 wolf.

• shedding says:

Yeah, 20+ years ago I had a wolf mix that also had multiple coats. We pretty much just lived with the constant shedding. (Wood floors in those years, no rugs or carpet!)

IIRC, the 3 coats are called guard hair, awn hair, and down hair. Slightly unusual that CGD’s softest hair is on top outside the guard hairs but I’ve seen that on some other dogs.

AFAIK, follicles work pretty much the same way in most mammals. Usually 3 phases of growth, then shedding on a regular cycle. But yeah, individual variations sure are interesting.

Enjoy your time with CGD. Even 20 years later, I sure do miss my best friend!

When we bought this place one of the requisites was no carpet just for that reason. When Lisa vacuumed, she had to do it several times at different angles just to get most of the hair.
              His hair is so thick I seriously doubt the skin on his back has ever been wet and he sheds so much I’ve never had to bathe him. I’ve hosed him off a few times, but soap and water in a tub? Never needed to.

8. czechsix says:

Yep, that’s the way it goes. They’re full of piss and vinegar when young, and can be a general pain in the ass. When they get older and mellow out, it’s a few years of good times, and then the end. I sure as hell wish dogs would live longer.