On This Day

On this day in 1968, as part of the Tet Offensive, a squad of Viet Cong guerillas attacks the U.S. Embassy in Saigon. The soldiers seized the embassy and held it for six hours until an assault force of U.S. paratroopers landed by helicopter on the building’s roof and routed the Viet Cong.

The Tet Offensive was planned as a massive, simultaneous attack on the major cities and provincial capitals of South Vietnam. It was scheduled to take place during Tet, the Vietnamese lunar New Year celebration, which was traditionally a time of decreased fighting. In December 1967, following an attack on the U.S. Marine base at Khe Sanh, 50,000 American troops were sent in to defend the area, thereby weakening U.S. positions elsewhere. This American response played into the Viet Cong’s strategy to clear the way for the surprise Tet Offensive, in which Communist forces attacked Saigon, Hue (the imperial capital) and over 100 other urban areas.

This entry was posted in History. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to On This Day

1. Granny says:

Try Vietnamese food in your local markets. The French influence married with Asian cooking is amazing. We are moving on from the horrors that were perpetrated by people who decided that we should go and kick some gook ass. That went well didn’t it?

2. Phil says:

On this day in 1960, my ornery little ass was born.

• WiscoDave says:

Well happy birthday to you, then!

• pigpen51 says:

Happy Birthday to you also, you old person. I was born in the same year, in June. So we see things from the same sort of perspective. And even though Vietnam was over for us, when we got out of high school, I suspect that I am not alone in that if it had still been going on hot and heavy, I would have supported it, and enlisted in the military to go and fight communism. I was one of the brainwashed at the time, who thought that our government would never lie to us. It was not a waste of time to those who fought there. It was, however, a waste of lives, that should never have been committed to a war that we were not willing to win. I will never forget their sacrifice. Everyone who set foot over in Vietnam during the war for our country is a hero.

3. H says:

As a military tactic, Tet ’68 was akin to blowing your own brains out to stop a gun fight. By any measure, the Viet Cong were obliterated, and were never again a cohesive factor in the fight. It was NVA all the way after that. And damn Walter Cronkite for showing his ass reporting anything, and everything, different.

• geri670 says:

My husband was in the Tet O., aka a human wave attack. He was drafted. He was a tunnel rat for a while. He has the bronze star for bravery for saving lives and two Purple Hearts. He’s our son’s hero. I remember how we watched that war play out on tv every night. My father-in-law told me that one night while he and Denny’s mother were eating dinner and watching the news, there was Denny right in front of them on the screen. They were shocked, to say the least. He never forgot about that and thought it was the just so strange and heartbreaking. Thank you for your service. All you guys are heros!

4. Thanks and Jonathan sent this to me. Here is one and there are many other links on the site if interested. Search for Tet. Hope all is well. Funny as I am in Saigon now. :)

5. urishkish says:

Yep, we kicked their butts, but lost the propaganda war with the Western press.
    This is my small account of my time during Tet ’68: https://sulrock.wordpress.com/2012/02/04/tet-1968/