PO Box added and my hometown

After several emails from folks wanting to donate money to me but don’t do paypal, I finally broke down and got a PO box today. Believe me, I don’t want to hold you up if you insist on sending me money. I receive a small pension but it barely covers living expenses and that’s if nothing extra pops up. I’ve yet to have a month where something extra didn’t pop up – we all know how that goes. Your donations are hugely appreciated, trust me on that – more than once they’ve made a difference and for that we’re grateful.
It’s also nice to know that the work here is appreciated.

Kenny Lane
PO Box 712
Lafayette TN
37083

The address is also posted in my sidebar where the paypal address is.

I hesitated on letting the general public know just where I lived because of the bullshit with Kerodin this past year and a half. It was just easier to let everybody know I lived in middle Tennessee, but then Sammy decided a couple months ago to post my town and the road where I lived on one of his many blogs so what the hell, right? And to think that Kerodin calls me the stalker….. I could go on and on about what I think about that little pink handed bitch-ass fucking coward but I’m pretty sure y’all have already figured it out.
Anyways…..

Speaking of donations and paypal, I received a notice from paypal a couple weeks ago saying they would no longer furnish the email address of the donor unless the donor specifically checks a box allowing them to share that information with me. Please, if you donate through paypal, check that box. I won’t share your email but I really feel the need to write a short thank you note to you for thinking of me. Manners and shit, you know?

Okay, I live in Macon County and the nearest town is Lafayette (la-FAY-ut, not lahfee-et), population about 5000.
I love it here – think Mayberry, yeah? We’ve got a town square, everybody is friendly to everybody, English is the language you hear in the Walmart and I have never seen a panhandler here.
Even the cops are cool. I’m on a first name basis with a lieutenant in the sheriff’s department and yes, he’s been out here to visit – even my dogs like him. The sheriff’s deputies wave at me when they’re on patrol and they don’t even slow down to investigate if they hear me shooting when they drive past. Hell, they’re welcome to pull in and pop off a few rounds too if they want.
There are only 2 small towns and no railroad tracks in the entire county, the nearest freeway is 40 miles away and there’s only one small stretch of 4 lane highway. The only sounds I hear when I’m outside of my house at night are cattle bawling, hounds baying and coyotes howling.
Speaking of Walmart, usually whenever one moves into a town they drive all the local businesses out of business by undercutting their prices. That hasn’t happened here – there’s still several small family owned markets, hardware stores and other shops and they’re doing well. Folks around here believe in spending their money locally and supporting the friends they’ve had all their lives.

I think I’ve done well in picking my retirement home, don’t you?

This entry was posted in Blog, Tennessee, Wirecutter and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to PO Box added and my hometown

1. Michael says:

Sounds like you really enjoy your new home.. I pray everything works out in your favor…..

2. Kerf says:

Sounds like paradise! My grandparents had a farm in the Ozarks outside of a town of probably around 5000. Sounds very similar. Friendly people who know each other. The cows, the dogs, the coyotes. The cicadas, the whippoorwills, and the pond frogs. And the stars! Holy cow, the Milky Way at night! When you live in the city and can see dozens of stars, and then you go out to the country and can see thousands (millions?) of stars, it’s just amazing. Paradise. Yeah, I’ll say you’ve done well. Especially considering all the crazy shit happening in California these days. And only to get worse out there. You got out just in time.

3. sawman says:

“You did good kid, ya did real good”? My wife and I retired to a small town of about 1,500 people in the mountains of North Carolina and when we drive off the mountain we are about 25 minutes into a town of around 4,000 where we can go to a super Wal Mart, Lowes or as we often prefer one of the small hardware stores and grocery stores. Everyone waves as you drive down or up the mountain and it feels like home. From where we live you step outside and cannot hear a sound except those nature provides. We live at the end of a gravel mountain road and our nearest neighbor has an orchard about 1-1/2 miles back down the road, The few of us who live out here have exchanged phone numbers and we check in on one another. I don’t think anyone can even hear us when we retire to the back of the property behind the pond to the target range.

I’ve got a little old lady about 100 yards away across the road, nobody in back of me and the neighbors to the side are 3-400 yards away and out of sight.

• Elmo says:

And I’ll bet the little old lady across the road takes comfort knowing you’re there, armed and ready to help if needed.

4. John h. says:

Having grown up in chatt and havin a son in nashville in college i can tell ya, ur amongst some of the finest folks Amerika hasta offer. And its plum beautimous in the spring when the redbuds and dogwoods bloom. U coldn’t have done better.
    John h.

5. waitingForTheStorm says:

I moved to Macon County 5 years ago. I wrote you a comment when you were talking about moving to north central Tennessee. This is God’s country sure enough, and my wife and I are still amazed by the people here. I had the same problem with pronouncing Lafayette also. Welcome. My neighbors always know when we have guests because they always want to shoot.

Welcome to paradise.

We actually intended on settling closer to Portland but everything we found in our price range needed another 10,000 in repairs. Lisa saw this come on the market one morning and we drove out the same day and put in an offer the next.
      What part of the county do you live in?

• waitingForTheStorm says:

I live northeast of Lafayette. Almost to Bugtussle. We bought a property that had been on the market for a year that has springs and creeks. Don’t have city water, just the spring. I leave only when I have to. If you recall granny in Josey Wales talking about her son’s property, I get that same far off disconnected feeling about my place. Again, welcome. We have never regretted for a minute the move here.

6. That’s what makes the South what it is…..Good folks and good towns. Notice, I didn’t say cities. They are a whole ‘nother can of worms…..

7. Steve in KY says:

I live right up the road in Scottsville KY. I would love to buy you both dinner at Harper’s catfish. It’s ugly, but the very best catfish in the country.

Yeah, we’ll have to do that. Lisa’s been pestering me about Harper’s.

• Steve in KY says:

Oh man. Harper’s is famous around here. The plates are clean, the food is great, now the buildings are very rundown, the gravel road in is horrible, the lot is rutted all to hell. The cat fish is the best you have ever had. I live on halifax rd. If you are ever on 31E or Hey 101 you are right next to me.

• Cederq says:

Damn, I have been to Harper’s catfish place, you are right, good catfish and I ain’t a big eater of catfish.

• Steve in KY says:

Heck yeah its the best I have ever had. I have some customers in BG that are from Austria. They are here for the Bilstein Cold Rolled Steel install. I have been trying to get them to see what catfish heaven is.

8. Andy says:

Your new place sounds real nice.

9. draninus says:

Tennessee is a fine state with fine people
    My folks bought a place outside Murfreesboro to retire and loved every inch of it
    You and miss Lisa will enjoy it

10. bub says:

Well damn….Much of my family is buried at the Underwood cemetery, north of town. Doss, Franklin, Roark…All kin. Decoration day is cool, picnic among the tombstones.

11. Eastwood says:

So glad you did this!!! I’m a cash only kind of guy. I will do money orders though. Been wanting to send some graditude your way but am sure like many of your followers like to fly under the radar. I know that you have lots of people that enjoy your blog. I visit 2-3 times a day. I heard that you hit a million in a month. I will do $20 a month as long as I can keep work. Double Netflix and twice as entertaining. I challenge All of Your Regular Followers to do the same. Your post about a six pack of beer a month just broke my heart. I’m close enough if you ever need anything or someone to have your 6 if anyone is ever come to a state where there is a gun behind every blade of grass.

Shit man, I appreciate that. Please be sure to include a not with your email on it so I can send out a thank you – I try not keep reader’s emails on my computer or in my email account for security reasons – I’m sure you understand that.
      That’s a million page views a month, I figure I have about 10,000 regular every day readers.

• Eastwood says:

Well you should have a million regular followers, love your site. It is definitely in my top 3. But at just the cost of of a cup of coffee a month (not even that $5 Starbucks stuff either) I just mean the $.99 stuff x10,000 just for one month would be a nice safety net. Post my 2 comments and challenge to your followers if you want. I wish I had to resources to give more and may later down the road. I’m just a humble carpenter. You obviously spend a good bit of time posting and should be paid for your hard work.

12. Timbo says:

I’m glad you posted a new po box.
    For me, it’s easier to just put a few greenbacks in an envelope and drop in a mailbox, than having to re-remember paypal stuff. If I don’t use an acct for a few months, it’s painful trying to recall username/passwords.
    It blows that you would have to withhold info due to that screwball.

Yeah well, if it wasn’t for that little prick I’d post my home address. It’s not him I’m worried about seeing as he obviously knows my home address but it’s his fucking idiot readers that are too fucking stupid to find out that information on their own.
      Let’s face it, Sammy had my home address when I lived in Ceres and he was too much of a pussy to face me then…..
      Anyways, you’ve donated before, I appreciated it then and I’ll appreciate it now. No need for you to include your email for a thank you, I know who you are by name.

13. Wade says:

Glad you’re enjoying it, but remember at some point the new people fuck it up for everyone. I’m here where I’ve always been… population 79,000.
    I also remember the city limit sign when I was in high school, population 1482.

Luckily I’m far enough out of town that I could give a shit less.
      Seriously, I make it into Lafayette maybe and I mean just maybe, twice a week.

14. Mark Jewell says:

Sounds like a perfect place to be. I’ll try to drop a few bucks in the mail for you once I get my own bills under control, which is to happen this month.
    I look forward to whatever posts you offer up, and will try to chip in when I can.

15. Hal P. says:

Tennessee is Great..
    The wife and I have a place in Far East Tennessee, outside of town call Newport. Can’t wait to retire there stuck in South Florida currently.

It’s the same as you say… sheriffs and the people are very friendly and no one gives a crap if I’m outside blowing off a few hundred or thousand rounds..

Unfortunately and I’m still 5 to 7 years and being able to retire.