This is cool

This entry was posted in Cool Pics. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to This is cool

1. California southpaw says:

Gary?

2. downeast hillbilly says:

Coppicing on steroids! You could build a cabin inside that one.

• Crotalus says:

Coppicing? Or seedlings starting in a rotten stump?

• All of the trees in that stand look like redwoods, and they do both – they send up new shoots from the stump, and they also have new seedlings start in the upper branches where dirt and rotting vegetation collects. A good read is “The Wild Trees” by Richard Preston.

3. loaded4bear says:

I wonder how many man hours it took to fell that using the old fashioned hand tools.

4. Michael says:

Thats a shame it was cut down. What a magnificent giant it must have been.

• crazyeighter says:

You’ll notice the tree is “down” but not “out.”

There’s a lesson there.

• SemperFi, 0321 says:

Had a discussion at a local dude ranch with a Brit over our cutting down trees for log homes, explained we only use standing dead for homes, live green logs are no good. Then I asked her what her house was made of, and she flippantly replied “bricks!”
        I didn’t bother to explain to her that her floors, inside walls, window and door frames, trim and the entire roof system was made with wood, she can live with that fantasy forever.
        We live in the most wasteful nation on earth, and scream the loudest over preserving the planet, especially the progressives. Many of whom I know travel the world, spewing millions of gallons of jet fuel into the atmosphere and come home complaining about the rain forests dying. Never mind all the plastic and paper they consume to pass on their hatred to the rest of us.

5. Doc B says:

We still have a few of the old growth stumps in our area. Still have the chop marks for the spring boards. It’s kind of sad to think that my kids are likely the last generation of people to see the original old growth cedar stumps.

6. Timbo says:

Speaking of old growth, the faous drive through tree, north of SF fell last night during the storm.
    Sad
    I have a pic with me and my Chevy blazer in it in 79, then again me in my grand caravan in 2011.