Why, I take 3-4 naps a day

When your morning coffee’s kick is wearing off and that afternoon slump starts to hit you, go and take a nap to keep your mind running properly.

The idea of a siesta is nothing new, particularly in hotter countries like Spain, and researchers have long studied the benefits of these post-lunch catnaps. A new study pinpoints the optimal amount of time seniors should nap in the afternoon for the benefit of their mental function: about one hour.

*****

You bet. I sleep less now since I’ve retired that I ever did when I was working full time. Figure 5-6 hours a night now on the average than the 7 that I absolutely insisted on when I was working.
Some nights I’ll sleep 8 hours but it’s usually in bed by 2-3 AM and up by 8 on a good night. Some nights it’s much less and I’m up by 5 or 6 AM. I’ve gone many, many days on 4 hours the night before.
It’s funny too because the days I nod off during the day, I sleep better and more hours that night. Exercise and physical activity have no bearing on it whatsoever.
I don’t know and to be honest, I don’t care – I’m retired and I could really give a fuck about my hours. If I feel like nodding off at 8 AM, I nod off. It ain’t like I gotta be somewhere, you know? It’s the first time in my entire life where I don’t feel guilty about napping. Seriously, how many of you have woke up to your spouse asking “Are you asleep?” and you say “No no, I was awake!” Nowadays I wake up with “What the fuck, wasn’t it obvious?”

This entry was posted in Wirecutter. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Why, I take 3-4 naps a day

1. Devil Tongue says:

W.C., I ain’t go no bucket list per say but if I did, shaking your hand looking you eye ball to eye ball would be on the
    the top. Thanks for sharing your insite and adventures.

2. Granny says:

Oh, you gorgeous man. You are achieving ‘Contentedness’; a rare and wonderful thing.
    I too know the joys of kipping off whenever I feel the need for a little lie down. The pressure of having to sleep, is replaced buy the pleasure of a nap.
    Actually, I feel the urge now. Zzzzzzzzz

3. Jeffery in Alabama says:

For the most part, I sleep soundly at night going to bed around ten o’clock and sleeping until five-thirty or so. I rarely remember any dreams, The only time I have trouble sleeping is when the moon is full. I guess I’m part werewolf or coyote. I know other folks who have trouble sleeping during a full moon. It is in this phase of the moon that I feel the need to catch some ZZZ’s during the day and most of the time I am able to do so. There are a lot of studies out there that support what you said Ken. Napping during the day is for the most part a healthy thing.

4. Gnome Sane says:

Same here, I’ll wake up not knowing whether it’s A.M. or P.M. and don’t give a shit. It’s easy to lose track of the days of the week, as well. Time doesn’t mean much anymore.

5. Rick says:

I LOVE retirement! After working all my life starting with a pizza joint when I was 17, I can say with a smile: “DITTO, WC”

6. Padawan says:

I wouldn’t know what sleep is. My grandfather thinks it’s funny to wake me up every 45 minutes at night for no reason other than to giggle at me and say “Hi.” I’m one of those young’ins who still has to slave away for the gubbmint so…