Busy li’l fucker, ain’t he?

This entry was posted in WTF?. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Busy li’l fucker, ain’t he?

1. Peaowed says:

Pileated Woodpecker. (The inspiration for the “Woody The Woodpecker” cartoon character, I believe). These guys sound like a jackhammer when working on trees.

2. bogsidebunny says:

I got one of them woody woodpecker bastards putting huge holes in a tree next to my place. Noisy as hell and I the front yard is ankle deep in wood slivers and sawdust. It looks like a bomb was dropped on the tree

3. James says:

Why,that looks like the pileated woodpecker,cool/crow size critter.The only one larger is the ivory woodpecker in the US,thought to be extinct but like to think still doing well with the wolves/mountain lions ect.deep hidden in the New England forests.

They are a very noisy bird when at work but fun to watch em,saw a extra large one last fall at work on a tree that needed a take down.

4. Unclezip says:

Pileated Peckerhead.

5. Mad Jack says:

I had his little brother working on a tree next to my bedroom at 5:45 AM. Then he switched to the side of the house, and it sounded like a demented dwarf with a ball peen hammer. I pounded on the wall and he left.

• James says:

jack,have found a thumbtack/fishing line piece and a tin pie tin hung up will discourage woodpeckers for whatever reason,freaks em out a bit I guess.You could also just have a rubber owl and snake put out,they go at it would also scare the little dude!

6. neil schnurr says:

That looks like a shagbark hickory tree to me. Isn’t that a hickory tree that’s giving you so much trouble in your post yesterday? He’s making you look bad. All he’s got his little pecker and you got a chainsaw!

7. Fred says:

Pileated woodpecker as already noted, cleaning out the scar from a lightning strike, it appears.

8. POd American says:

You ought to hear them going after bugs on guttering. Rattles the entire house. This one might be employed making hamster litter.

9. Exile1981 says:

I had one of his smaller cousins pecking holes in my vinyl siding one summer.

10. ExpatNJ says:

Shoot. Shovel. Shut-up. Today. Tomorrow. Always.

If an endangered one gets on your land, you can kiss your property Rights good-bye.