I’m sure they’re taken, ladies

This entry was posted in Cool Pics, Fishing. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to I’m sure they’re taken, ladies

1. Robert Evans says:

You can fish for those in Tennessee, Ken. :)

• 1911A1 says:

Just don’t forget to bring a pistol with you to shoot ’em in the head. If that puppy clamps down on somethin’ you wanna keep he ain’t lettin’ go.

2. Annie says:

I dunno, they look kinda gay to me – in spite of the giant gar.

3. perlman says:

Didn’t know gar got that damn big. Good eatin?

Don’t know for sure but I think I heard somewhere they’re on the same level as carp.

• Robert Evans says:

I’ve heard the same. And, if you happen to find a female with eggs, don’t be tempted to eat them, á la caviar – – they’re toxic to humans. (many people in the US will eat fish roe/eggs, and there are a few places where wild-caught sturgeon produce US caviar for consumption).

• Chris says:

Cajuns use a spoon to scrape the meat off the bone (lots of bone in gar) and spice it up real well lots of Zatarains Old bay, ball it up into two tablespoon portions, roll in a mix of cornmeal and flour and deep fry. Whoever heard of a coonass that let anything made of protien go to waste?

• rightwingterrorist says:

Gar, of any type, is excellent eating.
      A major bitch to clean, even the small ones, but mild and firm flesh.
      I take a pair of shears and start at the vent and work my way up to the head.
      Chop the head off and remove the skin in one piece with a sharp knife.
      Take the back straps out.
      I like ’em deep fried, battered in cornmeal or beer batter.
      I read somewhere, at some time that the Indians used their skins as armor for shields.

4. Roy says:

Alligator Gar. Caught one of those on a trot line once. We had been pulling up 4 to 5 pound catfish on most of the hooks until we got to the one. I was at the bow when my 12 year old self reached down and pulled the hook up. That gar jumped up and stuck that snout out of the water and I almost shat myself. His tail flipped up out of the water at the stern of the boat and like Brodie in the movie JAWS, I thought “…we need a bigger boat”. My dad and uncle both laughed their asses off at me, but they didn’t screw around with it either. They cut that hook loose and we never saw it again.

This all happened in a slough off of the Salt River in KY. The water wasn’t more than about 4 to 5 feet deep.

5. Judy says:

Okay, but can they hold an intelligent conversation? fix the car? do home repairs? change a diaper? rock a sick baby while mama gets some sleep? go to work? and above all, refrain from abusing mama and the kids? Men like that are true ‘keepers’.

• bikermailman says:

There’s no guarantee the men in the picture fit your description, buuutttt…the odds are far higher these two do than some random, manbun sporting, skinny jeans wearing snowflake. Just sayin’.

• Judy says:

My point. Most of us who frequent Wirecutter’s little piece of cyberspace are not pin-up pretty, male or female, but we are what makes this old world go round.

6. Mike says:

Bubba Bedre of Garzilla Guide Service (on the right), Trinity River, Texas. He is pretty well known and has at least one IGFA world record for gar.
    Oh, carp taste better than gar.

7. harrysteele says:

photoshopped or the guy wears size 40 shoes…