No cause given yet

A portion of Interstate 85 (Atlanta) has collapsed as a massive fire burned on I-85 near Piedmont Road Thursday evening.

Flames erupted underneath the interstate and black smoke is billowing under all sides near the Buford-Spring Connector. 11Alive’s SkyTracker shows traffic both north and south on I-85 is stopped due to the fire.

There were no signs of any injuries, Atlanta Fire Dept. Sgt. Cortez Stafford said.

Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal urged drivers to avoid the area if at all possible.
MORE/VIDEO

*****

I bet it was the fucking ayrabs.

This entry was posted in WTF?. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to No cause given yet

1. Mike says:

Last time Atlanta saw a fire like that was when General Sherman burned it during the War For Southern Independence.

2. Nancy says:

“The cause of the fire and collapse have not yet been determined.”
    BS!!!!

You’re thinking ayrabs too, huh? Think about it: they may not have killed anybody but they damned sure disrupted a bunch of lives for a few months.

• JeremyR says:

While that is possible, even probable, What is more disturbing is that it may give them ideas. I am sure there are plenty of places where shit like that is stored too close because of convenience.
        Think of all the other infastructure we have that is easy pickings. The power company just built a new power line through my place. 225KV. The old one would have been so easy to wipe out. A coordinated attack could take down the power grid for a large region.
        Now think of that fire had been a rail road bridge. Even a Prius can take a gravel road, those big GE’s? Not so easy.

3. Ciao says:

News I read said plastic pipe stored underneath caught fire.
    Went to Google Street View and looked- yup!- coils of plastic tubing stored there. elevation is ‘low slung deck’.
    See what comes up when storage origin is examined. (who owned it? State maintenance dept or a related power company is likely.
    I would suspect some drunken homeless mistake or arsonist(firebug) origin… they like to torch plastic portapotties too :(
    IMHO-The sky is not falling yet- so dont jump to conclusions/bandwagon. Sigh.
    Best regards!
    Ciao

• Larry says:

There is an Amtrack train yard right near there also. If I felt like sitting in a few hours of traffic I would go check it out.

4. Sarge says:

I think it was the Russians !

• crazyeighter says:

“Trump’s barely been in office two months and things are falling to shit! He must resign!” ~~ before the end of the day.

5. Granny says:

Naw, y’all got it wrong. It was the secret Coke recipe and the list of missing persons who did not go through Atlanta from Florida.

6. Bigg Ale says:

Yet again more proof that when enough heat is applied to steel, it softens. Combine that with the weight of the concrete of the bridge, a collapse occurs. I’m sure the 9/11 truthers will try to debunk it……..

7. realspark21 says:

Part of my daily work commute for the return trip. …they are saying months to repair once the investigation is complete-hello extra hour detour on the way home everyday. …Atlanta already has one of the worst designed roadways in America. …personal rage indicator to maximum. …sigh

• Sedition says:

I’d rather ass-scoot across broken glass than drive in Atlanta during rush hour(s) again. I don’t miss it at all.

8. B says:

“Jet fuel doesn’t burn hot enough to melt steel”
    or so we were told…remember?

Just sayin’

• JeremyR says:

Paper does for sure. I was doing my taxes a few years back and shredded every thing I did not need. I took the bags of paper and put them in my trash barrel and lit it. when I got back to the house I turned and looked, the 55 gallon drum was pure orange and beginning to buckle near the bottom.

• Elmo says:

I believe that was noted metallurgist, aviation expert and structural engineer Rosie O’Donnell that made the claim that “Jet fuel doesn’t burn hot enough to melt steel”.

9. I’m going with the old standby; It was Bush!

10. Winston Smith says:

Well Why Not.
    If someone thinks it was ahabs, that’s just a good reason to invade some random middle eastern country!
    If this had happened a year earlier, we could easily be mired in another quagmire and oil doubling in price by the end of next month.

I do feel for you folks in Hotlanta. You are truely fucked. I lived too many years commuting in Houston and I think the same guy designed both road systems. And he was a 24/7 shitfaced alcoholic methhead.

• Larry says:

Lucky for me I don’t have to drive in Atlanta too often, and almost never on that stretch of 85.

11. Stretch says:

I’m not gonna believe it was terrorist until the FBI says it isn’t.