Ya think?

According to Today, the Eagle Mountain Elementary in Fort Worth, Texas, has been giving kindergarten and first-grade students two 15-minute recess breaks every morning and two 15-minute breaks every afternoon to go play outside. At first teachers were worried about losing the classroom time and being able to cover all the material they needed with what was left, but now that the experiment has been going on for about five months, teachers say the kids are actually learning more because they’re better able to focus in class and pay attention without fidgeting.”
HERE
-WiscoDave

This entry was posted in Liberals, WiscoDave, WTF?. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Ya think?

1. Padawan says:

Now they need to apply this theory to junior high and high school students too.

College kids too. Nothing like a good rock fight to calm your ass down.

• Padawan says:

I don’t know about that. I work at a college and the students who go there get as much free time as they want since they’re only required to take one classe a semester in order to be considered a “full time” student.

• Exile1981 says:

I’ve told my kids that after highschool they have to go work a year in a crap job before college so they known why they want to finish college.

I dug ditches by hand, pick and shovel work, before I went into the army, fulfilling Pop’s prophesy that I’d end up digging ditches if I didn’t finish high school.
            Nowadays I’d send my kids to a trade school before I sent them to college. Better money and no exposure to communists.

• Padawan says:

The college I work for is in the process of developing a trades program because they have the asinine idea that people will pay 40-60 thousand dollars a year to learn a trade.

2. JNorth says:

Thats why when I was in kindergarten and first grade all the classes had doors directly to the play ground. The whole point behind recess and gym is to run the little bastards tired so they will sit still and pay attention in class. Nowadays they just want to drug them all in to comas.

3. Whynot says:

The more things change, the more they stay the same. In grade school (late 60s), recess was mostly scheduled but IF the teacher deemed we were still too rambunctious, she’d call recess again, out we went and she made everyone run ……didn’t take too long before we back in our seats paying attention……oh and NONE of us were taking meds…..just run the energy out.

Fast forward 25 years – nursing instructor once said “when the butt falls asleep, the brain ain’t far behind”……..wise words, that instructor

4. bogsidebunny says:

Wouldn’t it be more convenient to slip ’em each a shot glass of strawberry flavored Ritalin as they come into the classroom?

Not enough exercise is the reason most of ’em are on Ritalin.

• guy says:

I have to side with bunny.

Drug companies needs to make money and healthy kids need fewer drugs.

Also there’s this: “…teachers were worried about losing the classroom time and being able to cover all the material they needed.” Marxist theory takes a lot of mind numbing repetition to take hold. The teachers need all the time they can get.

5. zonked, luis says:

Recess??? whats that?, when I was in kindergarten we got candy, a little blue one to drink with our milk, gave us great ‘nappy time’.

6. Boots says:

Need to extend that to the workplace

7. Familyman says:

Heh.
    Most of my recess time as a kid was spent standing face first against the wall.
    I still call my 3rd grade as the year without recess.
    All that time was spent writing the definitions of “quiet” and “freeze.”

8. I majored in fidgeting in school. When not fidgeting, I was looking out the window. I dropped out early on thereby saving the hight cost of post secondary education … I passed those savings along to my customers for many years.

Further … to end the fidgiting nonsense in high schools and colleges …. mandate that all coeds give daily blowjobs to all the boys … that will stop much of the fidgeting and end a lot of the rape charges .. real or imagined. The ugly chicks might just get a boyfriend out of this deal.

• crazyeighter says:

The fidgeting will continue as the boys watch the clock until their appointed time.

9. Dave says:

My kids did a lot of push ups if they started acting up. If they refused well then they were some how always late for lunch break.

Or I would enlist the toughest kid in my class. “If I am happy at the end of the week. I can absolutely guarantee that you will get a passing D in your worst subject.” This worked most of the time.