Fuck that

The snack machine wants to scan Alice’s fingerprints.

Alice — not her real name — would prefer not to surrender her biometric data just to get a candy bar, but it’s the preferred option in the break room. She could input a personal code, instead, but either way everything she orders from the machine will be tracked. She’s not sure exactly where the data goes — or what it will be used for.

This entry was posted in WTF?. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Fuck that

1. Jack Crabb says:

To quote Deb Morgan, “Holy fucking fuck.”

There’s no way in hell I’d work at anyplace that wanted to track me like that.

2. bikermailman says:

Been offered ‘wellness survey’ incentives the last few years. There’s a reason I forego them.

3. Madmike says:

Sounds about like the photo booth at the arcade I recently visited…. Wasn’t till after I was in there for 20 mins when I realized the damn thing had a camera on top just snapn away at everyone that walked passed…I left area asap but not before I put piece of gum over the lense!!! Can’t help but wonder who, what & where all those photos are being kept… Absolute no privacy anymore!

4. Jim Jerzycke says:

Bring your candy in from home….

5. Granny says:

Ditto Jim. Duh! Then look for another job. It’s easier to get a job if you already have one.
    Seriously people, what the hell is going on up there?

6. Towser says:

It would be wise to assume any information collected on you from any source will end up in the hands of the vast government collection. They are literally building massive warehouses to keep it all. Internet of things? That is just the tip of the ice burg. For example, let’s say you subscribe to Harry’s Homestead Magazine (Don’t go looking for it it, I made it up.). To subscribe you end up on a list. That list is likely to be sold to various companies who make money collecting and selling such lists. Whenever you give a company your address, etc. you can expect it to turn up on one or more lists. Do you think for one moment the NSA doesn’t know that? I guarantee you they among the list companies best customers. I doubt if they stop there. No matter what you buy, what you join, even where you go, someone is tracking you. When this is posted, “they” will know that I know and “they” already know who I am. For all I know, “they” might know as I type it. My message to them? Bite me.

7. wildbill says:

This sounds like where I work (company HQ in Sandy Eggo). I might go into the break room 3-4 times a year. I take my breaks and lunch at my desk. They can keep their snacks. We have a drink machine outside the shop that actually takes money that I use, but the crap in the break room requires registration and debit or credit card info on file. You use a pin number or thumb print to pay. Badges have chips and must be swiped to enter building. Cameras on all exits, over parking lot, and throughout internal areas. Smile!

8. Danny says:

OK, here’s one for you, all the DNA matching services.
    Wanna bet there is a HUGE DNA library being created?
    For what purpose?

• Towser says:

Yep. That was my first thought on the DNA thing too. No need to get citizens to line up to collect their DNA – sell ’em a “service” and make them pay for the privilege.

• somedude says:

like Facebook…people will tell you everyone they know, what they like, and what they are doing all for free or unless count the monies paid to Facebook and Zuckerberg. Do you believe he just made this thing called Facebook and it took off, not a chance.

• crazyeighter says:

The same people throwing a fit about this are the same ones that don’t understand why you don’t want to register your guns.

• Judy says:

“For what purpose?” Use your imagination…be really, really dark…then realize there is someone out there who is more malevolent than you and has already accessed the information.