‘Looks like an ISIS video’

It’s a pretty standard idea in theory. Law enforcement offices make public service announcements all the time about particular issues affecting their community, and officers saying they want the public’s help to get tough on heroin dealers isn’t exactly controversial.

But something about the Lake County Sheriff’s Office video public service announcement, posted on the Florida law enforcement agency’s Facebook on Friday, struck some nerves.

The video shows Sheriff Peyton Grinnell speaking at a podium, flanked by four still officers who are standing silently and wearing face masks and protective vests. The camera zooms in and out repeatedly as Grinnell talks about how they plan to target heroin dealers.
MORE/VIDEO

This entry was posted in To Serve..., Videos. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to ‘Looks like an ISIS video’

1. Chris Mallory says:

Jeff Cooper said it better than me.

“Let us reflect upon the fact that a man who covers his face shows reason to be ashamed of what he is doing. A man who takes it upon himself to shed blood while concealing his identity is a revolting perversion of the warrior ethic. It has long been my conviction that a masked man with a gun is a target. I see no reason to change that view.”

• crazyeighter says:

I’m not the man to argue with Col Jeff on this one.

• Jeffery in Alabama says:

You beat me to it Chris. Jeff Cooper nails it and any man worth his salt will agree. Here is another outtake from that great book.

The conflict we face today [the war on gun owners] is once again based on culture, and once again, the central issue is freedom. This time, however, it is the so-called rebels who are championing freedom, and the government that is chilling the people’s rights. When the United States government suspects a citizen has failed to pay a five dollar federal tax and then spends more manpower and more money spying on that citizen than it spent on surveillance before the invasion of Haiti, there is something wrong. When government tax agents carry guns and wear black ski masks to hide their faces, the evil has become institutionalized. And when those government agents shoot nursing mothers and burn women and children alive over $200 tax matters, then you have a government that is out of control.” — John Ross, Unintended Consequences (1996)

2. Chris Mallory says:

Heroin is just the drug boogey man of the year. It runs in cycles. Cocaine, crack, meth, bath salts…..whatever they can use to keep the soccer moms scared and begging for protection.

• Jacky says:

I work and live in Lake county. Unfortunately, heroine is a problem here in central Florida. But fuck me, his PSA is just too much. …

3. George says:

The Peace Officer of the 1950’s would be shocked at this nations law enforcement organizations.

• warhorse says:

my grandfather was a reserve cop in rowley,MA in the 1950’s. some punk kid took a shot at him, he took the gun out of his hand, kicked his ass, stuffed him in the back of his car, and delivered him to his parents.

because my grandfather knew two things..if this went on the record, it would ruin that kid forever..and his parents would punish him worse than any justice system would.

he never gave him the gun back though..I still have that. an American Arms Co model 1890 break-open revolver in .32 short.

• crazyeighter says:

As Kenneth W. Royce, AKA “Boston T. Party” said it, “A cop works for the citizens; a Law Enforcement Officers work for the state”.

4. QuietMan says:

You want death squads? ‘Cause this is how you get death squads.

5. bogsidebunny says:

The Phantom, Batman and Wonder Woman all wore masks. No one questioned them. They were heroes.

If I was a cop in Florida or any big American city going after Mexican drug cartel dealers I wouldn’t wan my mug in their “someone to eliminate” memory bank.

• POd American says:

This lame assed shitbag sheriff needed the “Old Age Mutant Ninja Turtles” behind him for the theatrics. Had they worn authentic Meskin Wrasslin Masks it would have at least been entertaining. This is just another reason why people distrust or hate cops.

6. Steve Voss says:

I wonder if their gimp masks are department issue or personally owned?

7. When you “declare war” on inanimate object(s), that is, on drugs, it becomes dangerous to deal them. It also becomes very lucrative. No cop wants to die, and they believe that kind of absurd intimidation tactic will be effective in moving the problem elsewhere. This retard cop does not understand that he is part of a machine that is being built to rule america by fear. If you push him, it is “just doing my job” and “I don’t make the laws, I enforce them.” To a large degree, he is correct. I do not expect most people (including a police chief) to understand they are a pawn in a MUCH larger game, no do I expect him to ever come to understand that “it is the duty of a just man to disobey unjust laws” for he never would risen to a position of such prestige if he were able to think thus.
    SO, we must change the laws, so that mainly victimless activity does not encourage the development of pretend soldiers in scary outfits to “blow your door off its hinges.” I have never used heroin, but not because of scary masks… I sort-up understand what its effects are, and I do not estimate the pleasure to outweigh the risks. If it were not addictive, and highly damaging, I might have other opinions. End the “war” on drugs… will end a lot of this nonsense. Of course, if someone who uses drugs enters my house to secure funds to buy the drugs, that’s another matter. But that punishes truly criminal activity.

• Jacky says:

Funny because he didn’t really rise too power. He’s a county sheriff, he’s an elected official. Still a goon tho

8. Skipperdaddy says:

I kept waiting for the “Ayatollah of Rockin Rolla” line.