“I thought it was empty”

An Indiana father has been charged for fatally shooting his 9-year-old daughter in the head while teaching his two sons about the dangers of playing with guns.

According to court documents, Eric Hummel, 33, from Hobart, Indiana, was talking to his sons on June 10, when his daughter Olivia walked into the room. Believing the gun was not loaded, he pointed it towards her and shot, he told police.

He was charged earlier this month with neglect of a dependent resulting in death, battery resulting in death to a person less than 14 years old, reckless homicide and two counts of neglect of a dependent, court records show.

This entry was posted in WTF?. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to “I thought it was empty”

1. B says:

was in the papers here a few weeks ago (I live in the area).

He deserves prison time, plain and simple. After a plain old ass kickin’. Hope they put him in the cell with Ben Dover.

Just plain fucking stupid.

• gamegetterII says:

“He deserves prison time, plain and simple.”

I agree-first degree murder-or whatever Indiana’s equivalent is.
      How the f*ck could you point a gun at your own kid in the first place?
      I taught all our kids gun safety-including treat every gun as if it’s loaded-always,even if you think it’s not loaded.
      Along with never point a gun at anything you don’t intend to shoot and kill or destroy.

• why says:

Yep…..and for all the bleeding hearts of “but who’ll take care of the family” or “he’s suffered enough just knowing he took his daughter’s life”….. HORSE HOCKEY!!!! Scrap the dang “criminal justice” system, who the heck wants justice for the criminal?? Start focusing on the victim – in this case, an innocent 9-year-old girl.

2. James says:

I agree with jail,that said,the guy has any heart nothing can be more brutal then the pain he has to live with forever,my guess is he has a heart will probably commit suicide he will be so sad.

3. pdwalker says:

OMG, a lifetime of pain and regret for that poor, stupid, soul.

• bogsidebunny says:

I doubt it. The trailer trash have the mental retention span of door knobs. Hopefully, his asshole will need a Teflon transplant when the boys in the penitentiary get through with him. Rule one: Never, ever point a weapon at anyone unless your intending to kill that person.

4. Rdawg says:

Heartbreaking. Infuriating. Awful. Shot his daughter in front of her brothers; after apparently pointing the gun at the boys as well. Words fail.

5. Jeremy says:

Four simple rules… My daughter had to be able to repeat them on command before she could handle a gun.

6. rotty2017 says:

I say he did it on purpose. Three guesses as to why.