Must be 13 or older

DENVER — There’s a grass-roots effort to stop the sale of smartphones for use by children younger than 13 years old.

Parents Against Underage Smartphones is collecting signatures to get Initiative 29 on the 2018 ballot.

Colorado officials have cleared the language of the proposed ballot measure, the Associated Press reported Sunday. Supporters need about 300,000 signatures.

*****

There are damned few bans by government I’m in favor of but damn, we’re turning out a nation of zombies here.
Personally I feel it’s up to the parents to educate and restrict usage of anything, but when the parents themselves are fucking addicted to their phones that ain’t gonna happen.

This entry was posted in You can't make this shit up. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Must be 13 or older

1. Unclezip says:

I agree with the zombie part. But where does the “banning” stop, and responsibility become the norm again? Remember: if it’s not sanctioned, it’s prohibited.

2. Exile1981 says:

We have one phone for the kids to use. It’s licked so no internet usage and only long distance calls to mom or dad. We give it to a kid if they are going someplace they may need to contact us from.

3. juju2434 says:

You used to see teens walking down the street talking and playing grab-ass. Not anymore. They have their face planted in those fucking screens and completely oblivious of what is going on around them. ISIS will have a field day ….if and when.

4. Fuck 13…make it 18.

5. was bad! luis says:

I miss the payphones when a kid, stick a couple of M-80’s in the coin return slot, soda and chips all day!

6. Matt says:

I agree with the post commentary, those made by Unclezip and Exile1981.

I, personally, do not understand the attraction, use, addiction.

But, then again, I’m old enough to fart dust.

QHM

7. Hale says:

Not needed. Kids already can’t but phones since they all need activation contracts. Children can’t sign binding contracts. So parents already are agreeing.

I wouldn’t know, I don’t do cell phones.

But I did see this: “Initiative 29 prohibits retailers from selling or permitting the sale of a smartphone to a person under the age of 13, or to any person who indicates that the smartphone will be wholly or partially owned by a person under the age of 13,” the proposal states.

8. Doonhamer says:

Sorry, I missed what you said.
    I was on Facebook.

9. Paul says:

The law is pointless. It assumes the 13 year old’s parents are so stupid that they will tell the retailer the phone purchase is for a child younger than 13.
    What next? A law that will put the 13 year old’s parents in jail for buying the phone.
    Nanny State control on all aspects of peoples behavior assumes the legislators are the adults and all the citizens (subjects) are not.
    I agree these children should not have access to these type phones but the parents should be responsible enough to understand this.
    No substitute for personal responsibility.
    You can’t fix stupid

10. Geronimo says:

Liberty for all. Bans suck, freedom rocks. Parents need to parent. It’s not for government to enact legislation to parent for you.