No shit?

The political divide between rural and urban America is more cultural than it is economic, rooted in rural residents’ deep misgivings about the nation’s rapidly changing demographics, their sense that Christianity is under siege and their perception that the federal government caters most to the needs of people in big cities, according to a wide-ranging poll that examines cultural attitudes across the United States.

The Washington Post-Kaiser Family Foundation survey of nearly 1,700 Americans — including more than 1,000 adults living in rural areas and small towns — finds deep-seated kinship in rural America, coupled with a stark sense of estrangement from people who live in urban areas. Nearly 7 in 10 rural residents say their values differ from people who live in big cities, including about 4 in 10 who say their values are “very different.”

This entry was posted in WTF?. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to No shit?

1. Rob says:

Like I’ve always said, the difference between country people and city people is that city people don’t think there’s any difference.

I’m going to have to remember that.
      Then there’s the fact that city folks drive out to the country to relax while country people just look out the back door.

2. mrgarabaldi says:

Hey Kenny;

The city folks view country people as “flyover, clingers, hicks, rednecks, ete,ete” they view us as stupid and that we need their enlightened knowledge to rule over us to show us the errors of our ways and in gratitude we would send them the fruits of our labor for their consumption.

Maybe they should try to raise their own meat and vegetables. There’s farmers that struggle to read but are the smartest people I know. There’s also more than a few farmers that have college degrees in their field and can circles around some of the city smartasses when it comes to knowledge.

• Grandpa says:

Although it has not been any advantage during my time as a contractor, or in the years at the airport… my degree is in Range and Herd Management… planning for my older years, even in college I suppose. Or, a lucky accident lol…

3. Tom says:

A country Democrat and a country Republican can find more in common than an urban anything.

4. warhorse says:

country people have everything city people need. city people have nothing country people want.

5. take me back!luis says:

traveling around and visiting small towns, etc, I found the people friendly, lots of please , thank you , good mornings, etc, just a civility not found in cities..

• usexpat says:

I live part of the yer in a large city (Perth Australia) but mostly in rural Wisconsin. Different etiquette is required.
      In Perth, you watch out for strangers. In Wisconsin you smile and wave just in case you’ve met before.

6. friendofman says:

Another difference is that a rural writer could have explained the differences in a few paragraphs.

I can do it in one long sentence “Y’all was raised up differently than us, you thinking the world owes you a living and us knowing we’re responsible for ourselves.”

7. bogsidebunny says:

To me this is clear as black & white.

8. Doonhamer says:

Sherlock?
    Seriously though, I would rather be taken ill in a country area than fall down in a city street.
    In any country.
    When you walk towards a stranger on a long , long track / road / path and they say “howdie?” or whatever the local equivalent is, you know you are safe.
    You can share a beer, or just a swig of water.
    You can shoot the breeze.
    Thank God for country folk.
    Amen.

9. justahoosier says:

Did anyone read the comment section in the Post article? Holy crap what arrogance! I know, big shock. I didn’t realise what losers we all are! The average urbanite , despite high crime rates, high taxes, bad traffic, pollution, 24/7 noise, really have it going on. By the way, a LOT of our depressed economic outlook can be traced to the “smart ” people holding position in big population centers allowing massive influxes of immigrants, lowering the wage tables, and offshoring manufacturing jobs to the third world. Remember, immigrants today get many gov’t services that previously generations didn’t get. The American workers are often subsidising their replacements! The urban defenders don’t seem to understand that when a work ethic is baked into a man, losing his job prospects can be devastating. Being met with an attitude of smugness from urban office dwellers. It may be our stereotype of them to believe that they likely never made anything tangible with their hands, never planted nor harvested. Or they came from there and were ashamed to admit it. Sorry to go on, I should have just said they don’t get it. Or my standard answer, ” keep flying over, you’re too close already!”