Whoops

Astronomers first spotted an asteroid about as long as a 737 passenger jet on Sunday and analyzed its path to determine it had made a close pass by our planet three days earlier.

In other words, the big space rock slipped right by us without being detected and was only seen in our cosmic rear-view mirror.

While the asteroid, now named 2017 001, flew right on by without incident, it was a relatively close pass. It came within about one-third the distance between Earth and the moon, roughly 76,448 miles (123,031 km).

This entry was posted in WTF?. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Whoops

1. USexpat says:

There’s a theory going around that lots if not most of the many major and minor extinctions our planet has experienced is the result of large chunks of rock and ice hitting us every so often. This one would have left a mark had it hit a populated area. Earth collects several tons of dust every day from space. Seems a crowed place but isn’t really, just very large.

2. Matt says:

Another example of why I’m happy to live my life based on LUCK. (asteroids and such)

I respect the sciences, but sometimes those folks don’t know shit, no how many grants they get from taxpayers.

3. Leonard Jones says:

I was bit of a science geek at 14, so without even looking up the numbers,
    this is well within the orbit of our moon. In fact, it was only about 1/3 the
    distance from the Earth to the moon. Astronomically speaking, this was
    a very near miss. Imagine a 1,000 yard range and the point of impact
    was just outside the X ring!

4. Unclezip says:

You know as well I as that if a big one was coming, they would not tell anyone in the general populace.

5. Kerry says:

NORAD,NASA and all the others, a complete waste of money, stolen from the people.
    There ain’t no stopping it, it’s coming.
    But they’d have us believe otherwise…
    Continuity of Goverment and Population Control

6. Okie "Major Tom" says:

Missed us by a hair is an understatement. I can’t believe my sixth sense didn’t kick in….. I gotta quit making the voices stop talking and pay attention.
    Note to self: check fuel level on the escape pod (I need 1000 gallons of Pri G. I think the rocket fuel might be stale) and ensure adequate provisions (MREs) necessary to reach Mars, so I can repopulate the planet with my redneck seed……. Then Okies will rule the universe !!!!

7. anonymous says:

That is the kind of stuff that used to worry me, but later realized there ain’t a damn thing we can do about it. Unless there is a real life Bruce Willis / Ben Afflack group of dudes who are going up there to destroy or deflect it, what can you do ?

I can just imagine the chaos that would happen if we KNEW there was a human slate wiper of an asteroid that was about to impact Earth. People would completely lose their shit or go out to settle some personal scores with others who had done them wrong. Some would party like hell or off themselves before impact.

• crazyeighter says:

Yes, like I remarked to a co-worker when New Orleans was blowing up after Katrina, “There’s a lot of wagons getting fixed in that town.”

8. Mr Poon says:

Mecca would be a nice target for the next one.