Just in case

LONDON (Reuters) – The risk of cyber attacks targeting ships’ satellite navigation is pushing nations to delve back through history and develop back-up systems with roots in World War Two radio technology.

Ships use GPS (Global Positioning System) and other similar devices that rely on sending and receiving satellite signals, which many experts say are vulnerable to jamming by hackers.
-WiscoDave

This entry was posted in News, WiscoDave. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Just in case

1. pdwalker says:

that’s only sensible.

2. Padawan says:

Wait…they’re JUST NOW figuring this out?!

3. Doonhamer says:

Decca Navigator worked very well right up until GPS and loss of licensing earnings put it out of business. I think it was fairly jammer proof.
    Then there is always maps, compasses, chronometers, and sextants.

4. Steady Steve says:

A very good idea, speaking as someone who works out on the water.

5. Brother Mark says:

I used the OLD Loran system in the 1990’s before upgrading to a GPS unit on Lake Erie. No problem if you have a chart. Actually too many people depend on GPS in real life and drive into lakes, rivers, etc. with the automotive units. The marine Garmin manual will tell you NOT to use the GPS or believe navigation programming and to use actual charts and other means to navigate.

6. Robert says:

“ships lack a back-up navigation system”
    Say what? A multi-gazillion dollar investment with just ONE way to navigate?
    There usta be at least five ways to figure out “where you is” in the old days.

Sea Story Time:
    I was on the bridge of the USS Constellation catching navigation satellites before GPS (not sure why, I think the boss just wanted me to suffer) when the Captain decided to start doing doughnuts at flank-friggin’ speed. After a bit:
    Cpt: Nav, where are we? I don’t wanna run aground.
    Nav: How the hell should I know? You’ve got us running in circles! (I suspect the Cmdr was irritated).
    Good times.

• crazyeighter says:

One of the worst ass-chewings I ever saw an officer get was on a flight where the navigator took more than thirty seconds to tell the Mission Commander exactly where we were. (In front of a bunch of enlisteds no less.)

• Robert says:

Yeah, well, in 30 seconds a flying P-3 moves a lot further than a carrier. At least it had better!

7. GOODSTUFF says: