Probably shouldn’t have done that

A male climber who ignored warning signs and spikes on a Pacific Gas & Electric Co. transmission tower near downtown Santa Rosa Tuesday suffered burns from high‑voltage shocks, and fell about 80 feet, causing a grass fire and brief power outage.

The tower is along the Prince Memorial Greenway path near Sixth Street. The man, who Santa Rosa police Wednesday were attempting to identify, had gone up about 80 feet of the 100‑foot‑tower and was on a cross arm when he came in contact a 115‑kilovolt line.

About 1:45 p.m., a loud noise like a huge power surge stopped electrician Bryan Hanson who was working at the nearby 6th Street Playhouse. Hanson and others ran outside to see what had happened and looked up at the tower, seeing smoke.

Then they realized there was a person.
-Inbredredneck

*****

I wonder why they had to point out in both the headline and first sentence that it was a male climber? Was it because he was the last person in Santa Rosa to identify as a male?

This entry was posted in California, WTF?. Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Probably shouldn’t have done that

1. Gordon says:

Stupid hurts.

2. cato1776 says:

An electrifyingly stupid stunt.
    I am surprised he survived the initial shocks and fall.

3. Gater, OKC, OK says:

“This tower can kill you, and it will hurt the entire time you’re dying!”

4. Miguel says:

I am gathering that it was his clothes burning that started the fire? He should be charged with arson .

5. wuldbill says:

Thought he could steal some copper? (Copper isn’t used in these lines.) Some lawyer will get rich off this.

Probably doing it for the thrill.

• lineman says:

(Copper isn’t used in these lines)

You know of that particular line or just assuming? We have copper 115kv lines and also copper 230kv lines…

• wildbill says:

Everything I’ve read and been told is that all aluminum or aluminum around steel cables are used for the higher voltages. I am not nor have I ever been a lineman. I HATE electricity and have a huge respect for anyone brave/foolish enough to mess with it.

• lineman says:

Yea any of the newer lines are but there is still quite a few copper lines out there…I’ve been working in the big stuff(Transmission) since 09 when I wanted a change of pace from Distribution…

• JeremyR says:

Looking at the pictures, I’d say it is aluminum. They just got done stringing a new one through my place, a 230kv line. Seems they don’t like copper much these days, cost and weight are the big issues. The line by me is bigger than a beer can in diameter.
        I know a lot of the older lines are copper, the one feeding my neighborhood was until they replaced a bunch of poles after a gentle breeze toppled a few last summer.

6. Exile1981 says:

He’s burnt bad enough identifying him will be difficult.

7. hoha! luis says:

Of course, no mention of the race!

8. Mike_C says:

Am I a bad person for being angry that this guy’s ICU care could literally cost millions before he finally dies from the 80-foot fall (bad prognosis) and 75% burns (REALLY bad prognosis)? I’d bet that he’s also uninsured, but even if he was insured, we all end up taking it in the wallet, ultimately.

Yeah, stupid does hurt, but what gets hurt is US.
    Grrr.

• lineman says:

IF you are then so am I…I’m pissed off about it…I work my butt off and claim as many dependents as I can on my check and they still take a quarter of my paycheck out in taxes…

9. Crotalus says:

Shocking, but I guess he got a charge outta doing it.

10. lineman says:

They also use the one they hate the most…If he was white it would of been a white male climber…Since he was a Mexican then its just male climber…I’m guessing he was an illegal alien they are always getting burnt in our lines trying to steal copper… People just dont realize how much illegals are costing them beyond the big three of jobs, medical, and taxes…

11. Steady Steve says:

Stupid + illegal should = no medical treatment. Fuck being “charitable” to these assholes.
    We have people in this country that are citizens who contributed to society that need to be taken care of.

12. 1980XLS says:

At least he’s still alive, unlike this guy