The View from Blount County

Blount County is southeast of here. I think that last picture is outstanding.
Sent in by M&R

This entry was posted in Cool Pics. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to The View from Blount County

1. USexpat says:

Saw it from eastern Missouri in totality for a couple of minutes. Very cool and a must see. No picture does it justice.

• Winston Smith says:

Until you actually seen one, you just don’t know.
      These things just don’t photograph.

I’ve seen all the photos, movies, and looked thru hi$ telescopes with solar lenses and Nothing comes close to seeing it with your eyeball. This was my 4th eclipse, but my 1st Totality. Surreal. Beautiful solar atmosphere/Baileys Beads/yadayadayada, but that was the blackest black I have ever seen by orders of magnitude. Like looking into a black hole. I caught myself with my jaw open, had a chill go up my spine, and still deeply regret the few seconds I took my eyes off it to snap a picture with my cell camera.
      I understand now why primitives freaked out.

Like USexpat says: “No picture does it justice”. I cant tell you how understated that is. Already making plans for April 2024.

2. 1980XLS says:

Cool pics. (thanks for posting) The last time in the NE we had a big one was Mar 1970. Not much to see here today. But 2024 not that far away!

3. Sedition says:

Kinda makes one feel small, doesn’t it?

4. Tom W. says:

Had about 75% coverage in the sunny swamps of South Florida. A welders shield was perfect for brief views at the shipyard. Had a dude with x-ray film that worked also.
    Nature is amazing.

5. Tsquared says:

I was in Anderson SC which was supposed to be very close to the center of the totality. Dark cloud cover made viewing impossible. A 2 hour drive up, wait 4 hours in upper 90 degree temps to see dark clouds and the place go to twilight and back to light for a short period. Then the 90 mile drive took 5 hour to get back. Very disappointing.

6. riverrider says:

what got me was the critters going silent. nearly two hours of unnatural quiet. no birds, no dogs, nothing.

7. M&R says:

USexpat and Winston, I agree, No picture can do justice to what we got to see in person. I’m glad we didn’t have to travel to see this. What we got to see with our eyes can never be duplicated with a picture. It was really amazing.

My wife has vision problems and didn’t want to take a chance on further damaging her eyes so she was sitting on the porch watching the live NASA feed. I stepped off the porch and looked up and told her “You have got to see this” and helped her down. She was really glad I insisted on it.

8. Meat says:

Wife & I were in Crossville, and I wasn’t excited about the whole thing until it happened, It was one of the most awesome experiences of my 64 years on this earth. We will be planning for 2024, if we are still alive by then.

9. Meat says:

Oh yeah, you are correct, no picture or television could ever do justice to the real thing.

10. J.B. says:

We live in the area where it was longest in totality, just Northwest of Carbondale in So. Il., and had 2 1/2 minutes or so of it. I was gettin’ my two acres mowed when it happened. Wasn’t totally quiet, the Katydids and Cicadas opened up, but it was like Meat said, the coolest experience of my 62 yrs on the planet. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but the view to the West and East was great too, looked like dawn and dusk at the same time. I’ll be payin’ more attention in 2024 if I’m still around.