They had C rations back then?

Move over, Twinkies. You’ve been bested in the “food that refuses to decompose” department, and the contest wasn’t even close.
Conservators with the New Zealand-based Antarctic Heritage Trust recently discovered a 106-year-old fruitcake in Antarctica’s oldest building, a hut on Cape Adare.

This entry was posted in WTF?. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to They had C rations back then?

1. John Deaux says:

Fruitcake , the gift nobody wants

2. CC says:

And then there’s Ruth Bader Ginzberg, the 106-YO fruitcake of the supreme court.

3. bogsidebunny says:

Fruitcake, not so good.. But, I bet someone scoffed up the beans and mother-fuckers along with the peaches.

4. JeremyR says:

The question is, if it had been left in a tropical climate, would it be in the same condition? Probably…

5. TsgtJoe says:

If you want to re-gift Claxton fruitcakes send them to me. My sisters and I always looked forward to aunt Hudeans christmas fruitcake(claxton) in the mail.

6. yum ! luis says:

I’ve eaten C rations, I thought it was pretty good. The spaghetti and meat ball can I liked,

Try eating them cold for a month straight. That’ll change your mind.

• Exile1981 says:

Never had C rats, but I did have the misfortune to attend a cadet winter survival course. -40F and they issued us past due survival kits out of CF-5 ejection seats. I blame having to survive on chocolate pudding for my life long inability to look at choc pudding without getting nauesia.

• JeremyR says:

I was in Germany when we transitioned from C-Rats to MRE’s. My truck carried the detachment TOC and also about 50 cases of C-rats.We had a field problem scheduled, and the day prior, the Supply Sergeant and I journeyed to Depot and exchanged those C’s for MRE’s. The next morning we deployed to the training area, and at noon issued the first meals. Disgusting is a nice word for them. The commander told me and the supply sergeant to hot foot it back to Kaiserslautern and get the C-rations back if possible.
        When we pulled up, they told us our C’s had been sent to the incineration point, so we hustled over there. The guy in charge told us the only way we were getting ours back is if we took every thing he had at the incinerator. It filled the truck completely.
        They were happy to get rid of them. The requirement was that they punch a hole in every can before tossing them in the incinerator. MRE’s have come a long way. Say what you will, but for soldiers to want MRE’s over any thing means something.

7. ChuckN says:

Every oct/Nov my grandmother baked fruitcake. Put it on top of an upside down shot glass forming a nice indent. Every few days a shot of brandy went in until Christmas. The fruitcakes were so potent they’d keep for year no problem (not that the 80 proof cake ever lasted that long).

8. Trib says:

Add fruitcake now every survival list and to the 20 year survival packages they hustle on the net.